Nautilis - Unbreakable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cinetrope

ECF Veteran
Apr 12, 2014
Joshua Tree, CA
I knocked a Provari with a nautilus off a table and watched it hit the floor, drip tip first at a 45 degree angle. The glass didn't break but it bent the base of the tank away from the chimney section. I wrapped it up in painter's tape and squeezed it back together with a pair of vise-grips. That was a year ago and it's been fine ever since.

crunchie812

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 15, 2014
Key Largo, FL USA
Pyrex is not unbreakable.
Yeah, and Pyrex isn't really Pyrex! Pyrex is a brandname used by Corning Glass Works when it started making borosilicate kitchen glassware. They switched to cheaper tempered glass some time ago. They license the name to other manufacturers, some use borosilicate, some don't. Borosilicate is more expensive and requires higher temperatures to form. What's a Pyrex tank from China made of? I don't know.

Alien Traveler

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 3, 2014
United States
Yeah, and Pyrex isn't really Pyrex! Pyrex is a brandname used by Corning Glass Works when it started making borosilicate kitchen glassware. They switched to cheaper tempered glass some time ago. They license the name to other manufacturers, some use borosilicate, some don't. Borosilicate is more expensive and requires higher temperatures to form. What's a Pyrex tank from China made of? I don't know.

Pyrex sold in the United States is now made of tempered glass, outside of North America the costlier borosilicate is still used.

Pyrex - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

ronnbert

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 7, 2014
Sawmills, NC, USA
Someone in the shop rolled one off a table accidentally from about 4 feet to a concrete floor and it shattered. I have dropped mine in a parking lot from about 3-4 feet from asphalt and it just had a minor scuff (and the base press seal came apart). I did lose the rice pin that locks the airflow so I just left my ring off til I get it replaced.

wesson

ECF Veteran
Jan 5, 2015
Ontario, Canada
Hi Chris, while I wasn't looking for empirical evidence, anecdotal would be useful. :)

Almost nothing is unbreakable, however I've recently had a positive experience with my Nautilus Mini (and Sigelei 30 Watt Mini). My Sigelei slipped from my hands at the top of a flight of wooden stairs (10 steps). The device with Nautilus attached dropped and bounced three times before coming to a stop on the lower landing. The drip tip came off (didn't break) and the magnetic door on the Sigelei came flying off, but both the device and topper were undamaged. So, to answer your question, it does appear that the Nautilus Mini is a tough little bugger.

Peter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread