Need some advice on resistance/volts spreadsheet

Status
Not open for further replies.

pray4mojo37

Verified Member
Jan 28, 2013
NYC
Hi all,

i have seen around 1/2 dozen variations of the attached spreadsheet, with resistance on the y axis, voltage on x axis, and watts calculated as W = V2 / R in each cell. Obviously an invaluable chart for anyone using vv pv's who (like me) doesn't know the first thing about electrical engineering. HOWEVER, it gives a lot of unnecessary information... If I know that a 3.0 ohm atty probably won't vape at <3.5V and will likely short at >5.0V, I would rather look at a wallet-sized cheat sheet that shows the range of safe/effective vaping than the big chart. Something like this:

1.5 ohms: min V/max V
1.6 ohms: min V/max V
1.7 ohms: min V/max V
3.5 ohms: min V/max V

I want to put together a spreadsheet like that in 0.1 ohm increments and cover the whole V range of my provari. looking at the charts that are circulating around the interweb, it seems like the safe/effective range is 4W min to 8W or 8.5W max. Can someone confirm? Or, if I am way off, advise what the magic W range i should solve for is? Or, better yet, does this chart already exist?

i'll definitely post my chart if/when I make it. I think a good number of people would find it helpful :)

thanks and cheers,
ethan

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 38

Draconian

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 13, 2013
San Antonio
That chart - we have likely all seen it - is good - but not the all being Master of vaping.
I am running a .6 ohm coil on a mech - 24 to 30 watts depending on the battery charge (genesis atomizer) and - DAMN - is it a good vape.
Yes - running 5 to 8 watts - pretty much safe for anything.
When a person gets into the RBA's - a new world opens as they get more advanced in building the coils and such. Juice doesn't burn on a properly built coil and wick at pretty crazy power - you can then completely adjust your power for taste.
The power chart is, generally, for vapors that are either new - which is WONDERFUL - or, for those that are just looking for a fairly decent vape. I was happy too at 8 watts - but now most everything I vape is at at least 10 watts (except for kanger pro tanks - they are terrific convenient devices - but will FRY if you push them!)

Sector000

ECF Veteran
Mar 6, 2013
California
There really is no limit to the amount of power you can use. If you have sufficient battery power, very large coils, and unlimited wicking, you can crank up the power until you instantly vaporize your whole tank in a single puff.

For "standard" of-the-shelf devices, the limit is the wick, coil, and battery. There are already charts to help people get started with these "standard" devices. If you always want about 8W, you can usually get away with adding 2 to the resistance. In other words, for ~ 8W output on a typical coil, V ~ R + 2.

I think it's easier just to get a VW device and not worry about the calculations. At least for "standard" coils.

Sector000

ECF Veteran
Mar 6, 2013
California
so if you had to venture a guesstimate as to a general rule, how hard can you push "off the shelf" stuff like dual coil cartos, iclear 30, and typical 510 dripping atties without shorting them and thus having to spend money to replace?
Technically, you can't short anything with a non-zero resistance. Do you mean exceeding the battery's discharge ratings? That depends on the battery. I personally use only high-discharge batteries (i.e. IMRs) and stay well below their rated limits just to be on the safe side.

If you want to maximize your coil life, 6.5W should be safe. But that doesn't mean it's necessarily a good vape for you. You might want to go higher for more vapor and warmer vapes. 8W seems to be what most people prefer.

Dual coils typically requires slightly higher wattages because they usually have more heating element.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread