Not open for further replies.

kathi17

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 30, 2013
Stonington, ME, USA
If only there were a 'Love' button for that post! :D

I held him hostage in my kitchen and made him listen! :D

It may have helped, because I did do the call to actions for Maine, and the taxes haven't passed yet. Hopefully he really listened to my story and saw how innocent vaping really is, and passed it on.

LouisLeBeau

Shenaniganery Jedi! Too naughty for Sin Bin
ECF Veteran
Jul 23, 2013
My God, lawmakers are dolts. Got this CASAA alert also. Senator Richard Blumenthal of CT, wants to ban "battery operated smoking devices" on flights. NOT smoking, Dick! Uh, is this because planes have fallen from the sky because batteries are in your carry on? Leaving your CELL PHONE and LAPTOP home, Senator Bluming DickMenthol?

http://cqrcengage.com/casaa/app/wri...h7irQR7DeEHUGZQc90-Kk3aFpwZGn0tXM4iZwbss&lp=0

This is what I wrote to my two Michigan Senators. I do not agree with CASAA's "talking point" about threatening that ex-smokers will return to smoking. I am convinced that they WANT that, for the tax revenues, and this might ENCOURAGE them to support this amendment.

Feel free to write your own, alter mine, or whatever as you please. But please contact your two U.S. State Senators.

Dear Senator _____________

I am writing today to ask you to oppose SA3547, proposed by Sen. R. Blumenthal of Ct. I am a constituent of yours living in ___________, __.

Banning of battery operated Tobacco Harm Reduction vaping products in carry on luggage is a law seeking to address a problem that does not exist. Have these devices harmed anyone or posed any danger to a flight? Do we need laws just for the sake of laws?

My wife, myself, and my adult son have all been smoke free for 4 years, thanks to Electronic cigarettes, and have reduced our nicotine to the equivalent of 2 cigs a day, and no tar or other chemicals!

If the issue is a danger from batteries on a flight, then shouldn't cell phones, laptops, hand held video games, etc. also be banned? Do you want to be among the lawmakers who helped usher in that kind of thinking? Are you willing to leave YOUR laptop and cell phone behind?

There are currently very inexpensive flashlight ends, that will screw onto these portable battery cases, effectively making them flashlights and allowing users to easily skirt this law. It will have no effect on transporting this equipment, it will only serve to further make MORE Americans, scofflaws. To generate more distaste for government intrusion in our lives. With no effect whatsoever. It is a silly proposal that addresses no known problem.

I urge you to oppose this ridiculous amendment, and help get our lawmakers back on track to addressing REAL concerns of Americans.

Thank you and best regards,

Last edited:

ENAUD

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2013
Bordertown of ProVariland and REOville
Yeah, that one would cause some trouble. I fly like every friggin week lately.
I suppose I would have to get crafty - but I think I could get around it.
My batteries would get transported in something LESS SAFE than the battery case I currently use - probably flashlights.
And my mod...well it pretty much looks more like a detonator than a cigarette already, so it wouldn't necessarily be identified as an e-cig.

Yes, officer, I always travel with several flashlights, and this? This is an aluminum box. Any regulations against an aluminum box?

I haven't thought of a great way to disguise an atty. Though they might fit well in those little film canisters, and I actually HAVE a lead-lined bag to protect film from airport scans somewhere... Remember film? lol
I use film cans for my atties, they never get a second glance. This one hits me hard, I fly to go diving, and a two week trip coming up in the fall, to Cozumel. I wouldn't even be able to get cigalikes there. Sent the e-mail within minutes of seeing this CTA.

This one is going to hit a lot more than vapers if it passes.

LouisLeBeau

Shenaniganery Jedi! Too naughty for Sin Bin
ECF Veteran
Jul 23, 2013
That is exactly what I said in my email when I filled out the CASAA form. I told them that LION batteries aren't prohibited, otherwise cellphones, laptops, gameboys etc. would be banned, so if they must make it difficult for vapers, they could require that we take the batteries out of our devices and put the batteries into a battery case, then all we would have to do was show our empty devices to them. What could be simpler? Devices without batteries in them can't explode, so there is n reason to ban them.

Beautiful! And while we are at it, we may as well honestly remove and isolate the batteries from our cell phones, laptops, etc. I can see it now... "Please arrive at the airport 36 hours before your flight to allow time for Security" "This line brought to you by your U.S. Representatives"

bigdancehawk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 27, 2010
Kansas City, Missouri
Excellent points, everyone! I was inspired to add this to the CASAA letter:

Presumably, this amendment is being promoted as a safety measure, as there have been a handful of reported incidents involving lithium ion e-cigarette batteries overheating and "exploding." However, there have been many more reported incidents involving laptop and cellphone batteries, which are also lithium ion. In fact, the eight (8) li-ion batteries in my laptop are identical to the single battery in my personal vaporizer. Hundreds of millions of lithium-ion batteries are produced every year, yet failures are quite rare.The batteries in many flashlights are also identical to the battery in my personal vaporizer. for example: http://www.amazon.com/Opti-Flood-Ad...90429&sr=8-10&keywords=flashlight+lithium+ion

Yet there is no talk of banning laptops, cellphones or li-ion powered flashlights on airline flights. Batteries do not know what kind of a device they are in. There is nothing peculiar to electronic cigarettes that makes a battery misbehave or more prone to misuse than in any other device. If any li-ion battery is damaged, put in the wrong charger, exposed to excessive heat, etc., it can pose a danger. If you put an un-sheathed li-ion battery in your pocket with keys and loose change it can short circuit. It doesn't matter whether the battery was a spare e-cigarette battery or a spare flashlight battery. Yet Sen. Blumenthal's focus is exclusively on e-cigarettes. Why? Well, for a long time Sen. Blumenthal has been a vocal critic of anything having to to do with e-cigarettes. In his view, they are pure evil and just as bad if not worse than combustible cigarettes. The millions of people like myself who have quit smoking with them, after all other methods had failed, are dismissed as mere "anecdotes" or Astroturf.

And please note that Sen. Blumenthal's amendment can be interpreted to ban all e-cigarettes, irrespective of whether they even have an actual battery in them, as he has defined "battery-powered electronic smoking device" to include ALL e-cigarettes and personal vaporizers. Under Sen. Blumenthal's amendment, could I remove the battery from my personal vaporizer, put it in a flashlight, and legally carry both onto the plane?

Robino1

Resting in Peace
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Treasure Coast, Florida
Excellent points, everyone! I was inspired to add this to the CASAA letter:

Presumably, this amendment is being promoted as a safety measure, as there have been a handful of reported incidents involving lithium ion e-cigarette batteries overheating and "exploding." However, there have been many more reported incidents involving laptop and cellphone batteries, which are also lithium ion. In fact, the eight (8) li-ion batteries in my laptop are identical to the single battery in my personal vaporizer. Hundreds of millions of lithium-ion batteries are produced every year, yet failures are quite rare.The batteries in many flashlights are also identical to the battery in my personal vaporizer. for example: http://www.amazon.com/Opti-Flood-Ad...90429&sr=8-10&keywords=flashlight+lithium+ion

Yet there is no talk of banning laptops, cellphones or li-ion powered flashlights on airline flights. Batteries do not know what kind of a device they are in. There is nothing peculiar to electronic cigarettes that makes a battery misbehave or more prone to misuse than in any other device. If any li-ion battery is damaged, put in the wrong charger, exposed to excessive heat, etc., it can pose a danger. If you put an un-sheathed li-ion battery in your pocket with keys and loose change it can short circuit. It doesn't matter whether the battery was a spare e-cigarette battery or a spare flashlight battery. Yet Sen. Blumenthal's focus is exclusively on e-cigarettes. Why? Well, for a long time Sen. Blumenthal has been a vocal critic of anything having to to do with e-cigarettes. In his view, they are pure evil and just as bad if not worse than combustible cigarettes. The millions of people like myself who have quit smoking with them, after all other methods had failed, are dismissed as mere "anecdotes" or Astroturf.

And please note that Sen. Blumenthal's amendment can be interpreted to ban all e-cigarettes, irrespective of whether they even have an actual battery in them, as he has defined "battery-powered electronic smoking device" to include ALL e-cigarettes and personal vaporizers. Under Sen. Blumenthal's amendment, could I remove the battery from my personal vaporizer, put it in a flashlight, and legally carry both onto the plane?
<insert standing ovation here> Outstanding!

Reactions: bigdancehawk

Robino1

Resting in Peace
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Treasure Coast, Florida
Nice letter, bigdancehawk. Would make a "thinking person" think.......but you sent it to a senator's ofc ........and his staff of non thinkers.
Hopefully there might be a couple of staffers that have a brain....... *crosses fingers*

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
Unintended consequences of idiot laws - at the very least, TSA could make sure the batteries are turned off or removed from mods - decreasing considerably any chance of accidents. But if people send their mods/batteries through the mail or UPS ahead of time, which is what I'd do, then the probability of an accident increases.

Hence the law that is intended to increase safety, actually decreases safety.

choochoogranny

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2013
chattanooga, tn, usa
Because I take infrequent trips to AK and stay 2 wks or more, and because the last time I went they had no B&M in Fairbanks, and because you are only allowed a qt. size bag of liquids, paste, creams, I sent ahead my toiletries and packed my vape gear in my carry on bag for fear of getting stranded over night at one of the connector airports. I have a tendancy to "over pack" and my vaping stuff is no exception! :)

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
Good thing I dont fly as it is. But if I do I can GUARANTEE you I will get my vape gear on board lol
That's a fine sentiment, and I admire your spirit.
As long as you're willing to be delayed, and have it taken away.

That's not something most of us want to have to deal with.
Or even have to think about.

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
2015, pertaining to e-cigarettes; and
(2) expand that rule to prohibit the carrying of battery-
powered portable electronic smoking devices in checked
baggage and in carry-on baggage.

(b) Definition.--In this section, the term ``battery-
powered portable electronic smoking devices'' means e-
cigarettes, e-cigs, e-cigars, e-pipes, e-hookahs, personal
vaporizers, and electronic nicotine delivery systems.

The language focuses too specifically on vape products and even mentions nicotine which is an entirely different issue.

The language should focus specifically on lithium ion batteries.

Alexander Mundy

Ribbon Twister
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2013
Springfield, MO
Didn't know this thread was here (I looked in legislation) so this is a repeat from another:

Sent letters to both my Senators................clerks :facepalm:

BTW, as far as I can tell "PHMSA-2015-0165 Hazardous Materials: Carriage of Battery-Powered Electronic Smoking Devices in Passenger Baggage" which this amendment is aimed at and the language of the proposed amendment would not preclude carry on person or your 1 personal item (i.e. purse, murse, or laptop etc). Still bad legislation but seems workable around without having to get 510 flashlight heads if for some unforeseen reason it got any momentum.

PHMSA-2015-0165 (which restricts in checked baggage) was due to stupid people putting vaporizers that were fully functional and packed such that they ended up continuously firing in checked baggage, one of which burned a 4" hole in the baggage. "These incidents have shown that e-cigarettes can overheat and cause fires when the heating element is accidentally activated or turned on. This danger may be exacerbated by the growing trend of users modifying and rebuilding their reusable e-cigarette devices and swapping components, which may include the use of batteries, heating elements, and electronic components not original to the manufactured e-cigarette."

PHMSA - Final Rules - 80 FR 66817 - IFR

Latest list I could find of battery failures from the FDA:

http://www.faa.gov/about/office_org...carrier_info/media/battery_incident_chart.pdf

Also, perhaps it is time to look beyond the 2 party system. While no one agrees 100% with any party, the last thing in the world anyone in the party I align with most would do is limit my personal freedom as long as it doesn't infringe on someone elses.

Alexander Mundy

Ribbon Twister
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2013
Springfield, MO
Here is the current FAA rule

Title 49: Transportation

PART 175—CARRIAGE BY AIRCRAFT

§175.10 Exceptions for passengers, crewmembers, and air operators

(19) Except as provided in §173.21 of this subchapter, battery-powered portable electronic smoking devices (e.g., e-cigarettes, e-cigs, e-cigars, e-pipes, e-hookahs, personal vaporizers, electronic nicotine delivery systems) when carried by passengers or crewmembers for personal use must be carried on one's person or in carry-on baggage only. Spare lithium batteries must be individually protected so as to prevent short circuits (by placement in original retail packaging or by otherwise insulating terminals, e.g., by taping over exposed terminals or placing each battery in a separate plastic bag or protective pouch). Each lithium battery must be of a type which meets the requirements of each test in the UN Manual of Tests and Criteria, Part III, Sub-section 38.3. Recharging of the devices and/or the batteries on board the aircraft is not permitted. Each battery must not exceed the following:

(i) For lithium metal batteries, a lithium content of 2 grams; or

(ii) For lithium ion batteries, a Watt-hour rating of 100 Wh.

eCFR — Code of Federal Regulations

Oh, and 173.21?

§173.21 Forbidden materials and packages.

Unless otherwise provided in this subchapter, the offering for transportation or transportation of the following is forbidden:

(c) Electrical devices, such as batteries and battery-powered devices, which are likely to create sparks or generate a dangerous evolution of heat, unless packaged in a manner which precludes such an occurrence.

eCFR — Code of Federal Regulations

Oh looky, we already had a law to prevent the stupid people from doing what they did that caused PHMSA-2015-0165 in the first place. Now we need an amendment to a small business tax law that will amend a different law that creates changes in an FAA law because stupid people didn't follow the law in the first place and because some of our lawmakers are hell bent on abolishing a personal freedom?

hUDHNCZ.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread