Status
Not open for further replies.

bwh79

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
Oregon
What device are you using it on? With a mechanical/unregulated device, Das Auto is correct and you will get higher drain/shorter battery life from the lower resistance. In a regulated/variable-wattage device, the battery life will be determined by the wattage you set and not by the resistance of the atomizer so if you set it to 30 watts, for example, you will get the same battery life regardless of whether it's pumping those watts through one ohm, or ten.

Last edited:

bwh79

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
Oregon
You will then have a 1ohm final resistance. Which means you will have more current flowing through your coils, which mans you will have more battery drain.

Actually, it'd be closer to 0.5Ω wouldn't it? Single coil, 20 wraps vs. dual coil, 10 wraps each. So each of the 10-wrap coils would be about half the resistance of the 20-wrap coil, and putting them together in parallel means the total resistance would be half of that half.

Last edited:

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
If I have a single 1.5mm dragon coil with 20 wraps at 2.0 ohms, will it use the same battery life if used dual coils ( 1 dragon coil each side only 10 wraps each)

Assuming same wire gauge:
If you have a suitable power source, and you run them at the same power, you get approx same battery life.

If you are running them on a mech a 4 volts, if the 2 ohm single vapes well, that's 8 watts;
then if you use a 0.5 ohm dual coil of same gauge, that's 32 watts; it's going to be way too hot.

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Ipv mini, so regulated mod, so it will be the same battery life? I've seen alot of debate about whether higher ohms on a regualted device is battery saving as you use higher volts on higher ohms and less on lower ohms but even tho you use less volts on lower ohms, you do use more amps which determines the battery life?

Battery life depends on power.

If you vape at 5 watts you'll go for a lot longer than vaping at 30 watts.

If you vape at 30 watts on a 1 ohm coil, you'll go for just as long vaping 0.5 ohm at 30 watts.

A 2000mAh 4 volt battery contains approx 4x2000 = 8000 mWh = 8 Wh = 8 watt hours, which means 8 watts for 1 hour continuous.

this is my name

ECF Veteran
Oct 13, 2014
North Little Rock, AR, USA
BWH79 is right, it would be .5 ohms. Now... if you were to do a single coil at 1 ohm or a dual coil at 1 ohm it would use the same amount of battery because the amp output is the same either way. higher amp draw means less battery life, amps are calculated by dividing applied voltage by ohm load.

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
So if im using a regualted mod, single 20 wrap on 20 watts will use the same as dual 10 wraps 20 watts because I'm using the same watts?

What differnce does the voltage make as on single it uses 6-7 volts but on duel used 3-4?

Yes 20 watts will run the same battery life regardless of resistance.

On single it uses 6-7 volts to get the same current though the long coil as when using dual coil with 3-4 volts.

bwh79

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
Oregon
I've seen alot of debate about whether higher ohms on a regualted device is battery saving as you use higher volts on higher ohms and less on lower ohms but even tho you use less volts on lower ohms, you do use more amps which determines the battery life?

With a regulated device, the amp draw on the battery is determined solely by the wattage set (and the efficiency of the device itself, but we'll ignore that for now since it doesn't really factor into this discussion.) Remember that the battery is only ever capable of putting out a single voltage, and that is whatever its native charge happens to be at the present time (generally around 4.2 volts at full charge, and less as the battery begins to drain.) Any increase or decrease in the voltage that gets applied to the atomizer will have to be taken care of by the circuit board. So say you've got a battery at, let's call it 4 volts, and you set the device for 30 watts. In order to get 30 watts from the battery at those 4 volts, it needs to draw 7.5 amps from the battery. The device achieves this by adjusting its own internal resistance so as to draw those 7.5 amps. It doesn't matter what is happening on the other side of the board, where the atomizer is.

As far as the battery is concerned, 30 watts is 30 watts, and the amp draw (and consequently, the battery life) will be the same, any way you slice it. Changing the resistance of the atomizer will necessitate a change in the applied voltage on the other side to retain that same 30 watts, but all the battery sees is that it's still putting out those same 30 watts, in either case. 30 watts is 30 watts, and the battery doesn't know or care what's happening to those watts once the board gets ahold of them and dishes them out to the atomizer.

Last edited:

J-Red045

ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2015
VapeTown, NM
Oh wow, so basically a dual coil will always require more power/more battery life over a single coil of the same exact build(which would be higher ohms/less power because the resistance is twice as much)? My mind goes to thinking higher resistance means more power needed to fight that said resistance but im sure this makes no sense.....I really need to just study up on ohms law im sure.

EDIT

Just saw the post above this one, cleared everything up i think...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread