Since I'm still new, what kind of atomizers do you prefer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnnyElsewhere

ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2011
La Quinta, CA
So, since I started vaping, I've been using a 510 atty w/ a 510 battery. HOWEVER, since my eGo Pass Through is still on its way from CigNot (Been about two days since it shipped. Sad face. Can't wait to get it!), I've ordered a few LR atty's from Awesome Vapor.

Now I KNOW you're not suppose to use them on a regular 510 battery if you want that better vape and experience .. But, for some strange reason, it's performing a LOT better than what I was expecting it to. I've seen a lot of videos online saying that LR 510 atty's wont give you that experience as it would on a 650+ mAh battery. Now, since the eGo has such a long battery life, I'm assuming that the Joye 510 is about in the range of 450 mAh (Please, correct me if I'm wrong.), but it's still a 3.7v device (again, correct me if I'm wrong.).

Off the bat, I noticed that the LR atty sounded like it was firing a lot harder than the regular 510 atty. I was under the impression "Ah, it's brand new, so I'll just give it some time, and it'll function like a regular 510 atty."

The time it took me to get a good amount of vapor and the throat hit that I build up to took HALF of the time it would for a regular atty. I usually take about 5-6 second inhales, and I was getting that sweet spot in about 3. And, to my surprise, it was CONSISTENT.

So, my question is .. What the heck is going on, here? Am I just imagining things?

So! Open discussion!

What kind of atty's do you guys prefer to use on your devices?

haft2doit

ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2010
erie, PA
Well I will correct you on a few things there. The 510 and your ego that is coming are both regulated to 3.2v even though they say 3.7 on websites. The battery is 3.7 but a regulator steps the voltage down to 3.2 to keep a consistent vape until the battery is dead.

A 510 battery is only rated at 150mah or so if regular size. If it is an xl 280mah or so. You are able to use your LR atty on it but it will cause wear and premature failure of the battery. You will get less and less out of a charge much faster than you would normally. Effectively shortening the lifespan.

Now the reason you get more vapor quicker is the resistance. Lower resistance allows more amperage to be drawn from the battery. This increases the wattage (power) at the atomizer coil. It heats up faster and burns hotter. This means juice is vaporized quicker making the amount of time you have to hit it to get the same hit shorter, also warmer and more throat hit. This draw on the battery is what can damage or wear the small battery.

The ego will be able to handle the LRatty much better, which is why so many users like to have an ego.

MattZuke

ECF Veteran
Feb 28, 2011
A, A
Now, since the eGo has such a long battery life, I'm assuming that the Joye 510 is about in the range of 450 mAh (Please, correct me if I'm wrong.), but it's still a 3.7v device (again, correct me if I'm wrong.).

Ammm, a standard 510 is round and abouts of 180mAh, maybe 280mAh and extra sized ones ~380mAh.
.666WH, 1.06WH, 1.4 WH (Watt/hrs)

Ignoring the bit about overloading a 510 battery, or more likely the control circuitry on board, a standard addy is about 5watts, LR round and abouts of 10watts, thus you cut your use time in half. Not so bad if you inhale less.

In any case, a typical 510 isn't geared for resistance below roughly 2ohm.

JohnnyElsewhere

ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2011
La Quinta, CA
Thanks for the info. :D

I don't think I'm going to be using the LR atty on my 510 batteries for very long; planning on swapping my regular ones back on there as soon as my eGo comes in the mail (whenever that is. USPS hasn't been keeping up with tracking very well.).

I was curious to try it on my current battery, and I was getting that warm, satisfying vape that a lot of people have been taking about. And I can't get enough of it! So the eGo battery will definitely help.

But, again .. I want this to be an open discussion. What's your guys' preferred setup?

haft2doit

ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2010
erie, PA
There are many many options when it comes to attys. I personally haven't really used atomizers in years. I started using cartomizers and never looked back. I still have a LR306 and a couple LR510's around for some sort of emergency.

I use 1.5ohm daul coil cartos at 6v on a roughstack for when I want a massive throat hit. Like out drinking usually.

I use 2.5ohm bloog style filler cartos on standard 808 bats and my ego with a little higher nic level for when I'm out and about.

I use 2.4ohm ce2's (clearomizers) on 3.7vfor nice vapor production, with low nic juice.

If I were to use an atty I would probably drip (direct drip in case you haven't seen the abreviations yet) with a 306 (has 510 threading)

The problem with atomizers for me was that they tended to gum up and work poorly fairly quickly for how much they cost. You can clean them but I never was really able to use one for more than a month. Lots of people here on ecf use and love atty's though. Cartomizers are cheaper and disposable. They also allow a supply of anywhere from .8ml all the way to 5ml or more to be used before you need to refill or mess with. Since you are just getting started you have a lot of fun ahead trying different things and getting whats perfect for you. Sorry if this is too much info all at once. Good luck and ask lots of questions. This forum is full of good people.

Last edited:

haft2doit

ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2010
erie, PA
people seem to differ on whats acceptable on a small battery. I think 2.5ohm is a low as you want to go with a 510 bat without shortening it's lifespan. Of course trying it out before you get your ego won't hurt anything. The ego can use as low as 2ohm. People like to say use anything on them and do. The physics of batteries is a well understood thing and there is a different max discharge rate associated with different batteries. It all depends on if you want to get the full lifespan out of your battery. I'm the type that worries about such things. So it really is all up to you.

hairball

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 17, 2010
Other Places
Low resistance atomizers were designed to be used on non-proprietary batteries. They need a true 3.7 volts to properly fire the atty. However, I know alot of people use them on eGo batteries but it's a risk. The MOSFET switch in your batteries will eventually overheat and die due to LR's so please use caution. Low resistance was also designed to mimic 5V vaping but in all actuality, it comes close but not the real deal.

Bottom line, use caution while using low resistant anything on eGo batteries and DO NOT use them on batteries smaller than that.

JohnnyElsewhere

ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2011
La Quinta, CA
It's fine; I'm just worried about the eGo not being able to handle it. But as it was previously stated on in the thred, it's completely safe.

I'm pretty sure I'm only going to use this battery just for tonight, and possibly until my eGo comes in the mail. But I'm also thinking about buying a device that has non proprietary batteries. I've been searching around, but still haven't found a vendor near me that sells mods like that.

Thanks for the advice, though. And I'll do some research on your guys' setups to see what they look like. :3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread