Trustfire charger and Samsung Li-Ion 18650 3.7V 2600mAh-ICR18650-26F

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Ok so I have a trustfire charger thats what I can afford right now . My question is this it has charge options for 3.0 volts and 4.2 volts .
I know that theSamsung Li-Ion 18650 3.7V 2600mAh-ICR18650-26F is 3.7 volts isn't overcharging a battery bad?

and what are the chances of it exploding or catching fire?

Much higher chances of exploding or catching fire than if you were using a better charger and the right kind of battery for your mod. That combo is a catastrophy waiting to happen.

Trustfire chargers are considered to be in the bottom rung of cheap chargers.

TRUSTFIRE.JPG

The Samsung ICR-26F is an ICR li-ion battery, the chemistry type which will vent fire and explode when it goes into thermal runaway. ICR li-ion batteries are presently considered to be obsolete for use in mods.

:danger:

You need to stop using that battery and get an IMR or IMR/hybrid battery which will be a safer chemistry.

Battery Basics for Mods

Oh, and get a better charger while you are at it. ;)

RTD Vapor

Last edited:

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I am using it in a vamo 3

That doesn't change much in my reasoning.

Sure, the Vamo is supposed to have built-in protection circuitry, that's good. At least you are not using that battery in a mechanical mod, also good.

But statistically, most battery incidents occur while batteries are charging. You are using one of the worse name-brand chargers on the market. You are using an ICR battery which can vent fire or explode during a battery incident. Together, they make a volatile pair. How can you sleep nights knowing that?

Last edited:

Slurp812

ECF Veteran
Jun 18, 2011
Northwest Ohio
Ok so I have a trustfire charger thats what I can afford right now . My question is this it has charge options for 3.0 volts and 4.2 volts .
I know that theSamsung Li-Ion 18650 3.7V 2600mAh-ICR18650-26F is 3.7 volts isn't overcharging a battery bad?

and what are the chances of it exploding or catching fire?

Fully charged, it is supposed to be 4.2 volts. Under a load, its rated for ~3.7 volts.

Madaz

Sep 30, 2014
London
The Samsung ICR-26F is an ICR li-ion battery, the chemistry type which will vent fire and explode when it goes into thermal runaway. ICR li-ion batteries are presently considered to be obsolete for use in mods.

You need to stop using that battery and get an IMR or IMR/hybrid battery which will be a safer chemistry.

most battery incidents occur while batteries are charging.

Cant believe Totally Wicked sold me the same battery recently & when I phoned them to raise my concern they claim they are perfectly safe

18650 - 2600mAh rechargeable lithium-ion Battery

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
The Trustfire charger is rated to be a .5A (500ma) charger, but takes forever to charge a 2000mah battery. I carried mine to the mountains last week and it took about 6 hours to charge a 2500mah Efest. My LUC 4 charger can do that in about 2.5 hours at the 1A rate.

For about $15 +/- you can get an Intellicharger i4, the i2 is a little less. With the i4 you get a slightly higher charge rate of 750mah with two batteries charging at once or 375ma with 4 batts. While slower charging is easier on batteries and achieves greater charge saturation, with the Nitecore and other intelligent chargers you get better monitoring and safer operation.

http://www.amazon.com/Nitecore-Inte...=1413810825&sr=8-1&keywords=i4+intellicharger

Last edited:
Reactions: LeeLee26

ScottChensoda

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 17, 2013
Lat:51.53889/Long:0.14743
@ artist22405

Sorry to hear you're not in the best of financial health but you're not alone I'm afraid. Many of us are in similar situations but like you, we have to make the best of what we have or what we can afford.

As you gathered from Bad you don't have the best of equipment but if you follow certain and very important criteria, they can be made to work, which until you can progress to better things, will at least keep you off the poison puffers.

Firstly and it doesn't matter which charger you use, you should never leave Li-ion batteries to charge unattended. Li-ion in whichever format is an explosive technology and it is best to be within easy reach should anything untoward happen. When you have the battery/s on charge, every once in a while feel both the battery and charger for temperature to ensure a), the charger does not exceed anything above warm and this should become more noticeable towards the end of the charge, and b) the battery never exceeds a degree or two above ambient or room temperature.

If either of these situations arise then unplug the charger and remove the cell, allow both to cool down and then try again. I know it may sound a touch long winded but it is better to be safe than sorry.

Now with the combination of charger and cell you have, I would suggest you might be best advised to place the charger on a non-flammable surface next to the charging point and maybe place it in something like a cookie/biscuit tin just to protect the rest of the room should it decide to mimic a wanton rocket. Let me make it clear the chances really are minimal but again, why take unnecessary risks? Family welfare and property damage is a fair enough reason not to I'd say.

Now to this cell.

There are four basic types of rechargeable 'O' series vaping batteries available today. 'O' means circular or cylindrical on plan btw.

They are, in preferability order:

IMR
Hybrid
ICR Protected
ICR Non-protected

Now I'm not going into the details of all four as it would take hours to write up and in any case I would just c&p one of Roly's or Bad's pages, so I advise you and all members who haven't done so, especially our newer superdooper, sub-sub-ohm cloud chasers, to read our Battery Page here and gen up on the subject. http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/ecf-library/129569-rechargeable-batteries.html

As you can see artist22405, your cell is bottom of the pile and the reason for that is it's lack of perceived safety for vaping purposes. In saying that however, five years ago we all used ICR cells but then most of us weren't into coil wrapping and ohmage figures. The other side of the coin being that most of us vaped preset cartos of about 2.7-3ohms which safely encapsulated us within the generally 2C requirements of an ICR cell.

However, today's vaping is a completely different ball game and requires even greater care. Samsung rates your cell at 5A but those of us who have been around awhile have become somewhat sceptical (sorry I'm English) over battery manufacturers and vendors claims and normally take them with a pinch of salt. By the truckload at times I might add.

Being old and retaining some of the altruistic values I was taught at a tender age I can only suggest what I would do in your given circumstances because believe me, I can appreciate them.

I suggest therefore, you do not use any atomizer that has a coil below 2 ohms. 1.8 absolute lowest. It is just not worth it. It really isn't. In saying that, can I ask what device/mod you propose to use the battery in and what atomizer you intend to put on top?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread