Vaping around babies

Status
Not open for further replies.

sincerelysasquatch

ECF Veteran
Feb 23, 2014
usa
Hey all, I have an 8 month old son and I'm wondering what other parents' feedback is re:vaping around babies and children. From my reading, secondhand vapor only has 1/10 the nicotene level of cigarette smoke and as long as you are vaping a good model and good eliquid, no other dangerous chemicals.

I am wondering who vapes indoors with their little ones, and how you store your eliquids? I keep my eliquids in childproof bottles in a locked box in the bathroom, and they never leave the bathroom (i top off in there). I also vape indoors with my son, as long as I am able to keep the vapor away from him. I have read similar thread suggestions to go to another room to vape but I think keeping the baby supervised is top priority.

I also vape vg-only as pg is a mild throat irritant and I don't want it around him.

What are your feelings on the matter? What do you do to ensure your child's safety?

Sent from my LG-LS860 using Tapatalk

Mailablemage

ECF Veteran
Feb 23, 2014
Medford Or
My baby is due next month and I have no plans to not vape indoors with him. However I probably wont be doing it in the same room he is in. Vapor dissipates quickly and does not leave trace chemicals in the air so the risk (if any) is low.

However I wouldn't recommend vaping while say holding the child or being close indoors with the child, and vaping.

sincerelysasquatch

ECF Veteran
Feb 23, 2014
usa
I pretty much chain vape off and on throughout the day and going to another room to vape doesn't seem safe to me since I am home alone with him most of the time. I stay in the same room as him in order to supervise him (don't want to leave him unattended) but I make sure the vapor is away from him.

sincerelysasquatch

ECF Veteran
Feb 23, 2014
usa
Ken, what about the fact that second hand vapor contains small amounts of nicotine? I don't want my baby breathing that. Also, I like studies. Can you cite the studies?

This is kind of unique to me, but my son's father has an allergy to mango so I don't vape anything with mango around the kid. If a company can't tell me if a flavor has mango in it, I don't buy it. That only goes for fruity flavors though, I don't ask for things like dessert vapes unless they are fruity. Which makes me wonder... companies that don't give out their ingredients list of flavors used in an eliquid, isn't that kind of dangerous to people with allergies?

Last edited:

bluecat

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2012
Cincy
Personally I wouldn't. Why risk anything? It may be okay it may not. Again why risk it?

you are bringing a life into this world. It's life at this point is your sole responsibilty (or husband partner whatever the heck people are calling thing these days). You alone are responsible for this child. Again I ask.. why risk the next 100 years of this child's life because you can;t be bothered to go outside and have a vape.

bluecat

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2012
Cincy
Aye, I did as well. I still go outside to vape - my choice. I have a 16 and a 12 year old. Yes, I am overly protective and not a female so my wife spent most of the time with them as kids. I would change shirts after having a smoke if I was going to lay them on my chest/hold or play. I would basically do a scrub down of arms face hands and hair before I would touch them after smoking. Sometimes I would think I am not doing enough. Yeah I beat myself up about it too.

Just after seeing some women who think is perfectly okay to drink/smoke/do some drugs during pregnancy and then see the poor child and the effects it may have done... It ain't worth it. The babies organs are still developing.... sure on a fully developed male or female it is probably fine.. but on developing tissue and organs... who knows.

Still.. you are the parent (which you may share ro not with another person) The parents of each child should decide how to raise that child. That you are entitled to.

It was just one man's opinion.

dragonpuff

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
why risk the next 100 years of this child's life because you can;t be bothered to go outside and have a vape.

Can we please be a little less judgemental here? I know this is a sensitive topic, but comments like this are not helpful.

Ms. Squatch, you are right that secondhand vapor contains around 1/10 of the nicotine that is inhaled. However, there are some concerns that nicotine may affect unborn children (I'm having a difficult time finding studies on this that separate it from smoking, so if anyone knows of any please post). Development continues outside the womb as well, so I would exercise some caution, especially if you are vaping a high nicotine dose. Blowing it out a window or using a cross-draft (as others have suggested) may be sufficient. Personally I think leaving the baby alone to go outside for 5 or 10 minutes is more dangerous than vaping in the house with the baby.

You are the mother, and you sound like a very concerned one. Do what you feel is right for your family.

Edit: Blucat, I did not see your last post while I was writing this one. I just want to comment that you cannot compare nicotine to smoking, alcohol or illegal drug use. That's like comparing caffeine to morphine, it doesn't make sense.

Last edited:

sincerelysasquatch

ECF Veteran
Feb 23, 2014
usa
Bluecat, I got pregnant unexpectedly in the middle of the party lifestyle. However, I quit smoking, drinking and drugging when I found out I was pregnant and luckily I don't have any addiction issues (aside from nicotine) so I have not been tempted to go back. I much prefer being a responsible mommy to being a party girl. I would go outside to vape but I don't want to leave my baby unattended. I guess I could bring him outside with me? I started doing that when I started smoking again after he was born. I'd bring him outside with me in his carrier and sit a distance downwind of him.

Walter, I don't really have a problem vaping around him either, my only concern is the trace amounts of nicotine. But if that's the worst thing I'm doing as a parent, I don't think I'm doing too bad.

sincerelysasquatch

ECF Veteran
Feb 23, 2014
usa
I will be a little less concerned when I drop my nicotine levels, which I already plan on doing. I dropped from 18 mg to 12 mg recently, although I am using a vv at 4.2v so there is a bit more vapor produced. I guess if I eventually get down to 0mg nic I won't have any concerns about it.

• Haha
Reactions: UncLeJunkLe

Despraci

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 23, 2014
Palmyra, PA
Bluecat, I got pregnant unexpectedly in the middle of the party lifestyle. However, I quit smoking, drinking and drugging when I found out I was pregnant and luckily I don't have any addiction issues (aside from nicotine) so I have not been tempted to go back. I much prefer being a responsible mommy to being a party girl. I would go outside to vape but I don't want to leave my baby unattended. I guess I could bring him outside with me? I started doing that when I started smoking again after he was born. I'd bring him outside with me in his carrier and sit a distance downwind of him.

Walter, I don't really have a problem vaping around him either, my only concern is the trace amounts of nicotine. But if that's the worst thing I'm doing as a parent, I don't think I'm doing too bad.

In my own opinion. I think you are choosing the responsible thing to do. If you don't want to take the baby outside, setup an exhaust fan at the window so you can keep an eye on them. I commend you for what to get more insight into this issue. My personal choice would be to not smoke around a newborn or child. But if you choose to load up a dripper with 24mg juice and blow clouds in your babies face... it's your choice.

There was a study done that does show vapor does contain 1/10th that of smoke along with other trace amounts, I can not find the link to the study, so I might be lying to you. Vapor has an aroma, what's in it that causes an aroma? Some will just say it's pleasant smelling water... I don't know, I am not a scientist, but the last time I checked I didn't fill my atomizer up with plain H20... draw your own conclusion.

I will not comment any further because I basically got told to shut my piehole last night unless I can provide links to studies.

Everything in this post is only my opinion, agree or disagree with me, I don't care, I probably won't check this thread again.

:2c:

bluecat

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2012
Cincy
Can we please be a little less judgemental here? I know this is a sensitive topic, but comments like this are not helpful.

Edit: Blucat, I did not see your last post while I was writing this one. I just want to comment that you cannot compare nicotine to smoking, alcohol or illegal drug use. That's like comparing caffeine to morphine, it doesn't make sense.

I wasn't being judgemental. She asked a question and I offered my opinions. I was not judging her. She is free to make her own choices in life and of course those for her child.

I would not risk vaping around a developing child. I adjust my schedule to fit around those of my kids. They live around me 18 years of my life. If I live to be 100 that is only 18% of my life. I will gladly change that 18% of my life for the benefit of my kids.

Do we now what effects that 2nd hand vaping will have on a developing child? Developing organs and tissues? I doubt it. It could be that there is no ill effects or it could be that it will stunt the baby's growth (or whatever ill effect you wish to use) (in some cases).. Now what will you choose? Hence my why risk it.

Last edited:
  • Winner

bluecat

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2012
Cincy

Those things happen in life. I have 2 daughters and realize life is a crap shoot.

Yes, I hope you choose the path of a responsible mommy. If it matters at all at least you are concerned with what may happen, that in itself is a step on the responsible side.

HauntedMyst

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 18, 2013
Chicago
Kids are pretty resilient despite what candy ... parents and the CDC says these days. Just remember, this kid isn't paying the rent, you are! Set the kid outside while you vape! Not only will it give him an appreciation for nature, it will also make him tougher! After a while, he'll like being out there. When my wife was out of town on business, I'd make the kid sleep outside with the dog. They'd have fun all curled up together in the dog house on a cold autumn night. By the time he was 6 he could completely take care of himself, had that cool leathery skin look of the Marlboro man and never got sick. Not only that, that kid can catch a rabbit like nobodies business! Then he and the dog fight over the carcass like wolves, by the time he was 12 he was getting the biggest pieces and our grocery bill was cut in half.

Ken_A

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 13, 2013
Florida
Ken, what about the fact that second hand vapor contains small amounts of nicotine? I don't want my baby breathing that. Also, I like studies. Can you cite the studies?

This is kind of unique to me, but my son's father has an allergy to mango so I don't vape anything with mango around the kid. If a company can't tell me if a flavor has mango in it, I don't buy it. That only goes for fruity flavors though, I don't ask for things like dessert vapes unless they are fruity. Which makes me wonder... companies that don't give out their ingredients list of flavors used in an eliquid, isn't that kind of dangerous to people with allergies?

to your first question, you can start here: V2 Electronic Cigarettes Blog Study: Second Hand Vapor from E-Cigs Has Fewer Risks than Second Hand Smoke » V2 Electronic Cigarettes Blog

for the second... a "fruit drink" only needs to mention that it uses "natural and artificial flavors" and could also have mango in there. the law is funny that way.

Ms. Squatch, you are right that secondhand vapor contains around 1/10 of the nicotine that is inhaled. However, there are some concerns that nicotine may affect unborn children (I'm having a difficult time finding studies on this that separate it from smoking, so if anyone knows of any please post). Development continues outside the womb as well, so I would exercise some caution, especially if you are vaping a high nicotine dose. Blowing it out a window or using a cross-draft (as others have suggested) may be sufficient. Personally I think leaving the baby alone to go outside for 5 or 10 minutes is more dangerous than vaping in the house with the baby.
Most doctors say "there may be a danger with nicotine and pregnancy". Then again, 40% of U.K. doctors surveyed say that nicotine is the primary carcinogen in cigarettes... which it isn't. It's not even a carcinogen at all.
Doctors can be wrong.
Given the very low levels of nicotine in exhaled vapor, using a fan to dissipate the vapor should cover any issues baring letting your child take a toot. no one here seems to be that silly, so take the same reasonable precautions you would for crafting around your toddler. Keep out of reach... avoid direct contact... etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread