Vaping can cause "Popcorn lung"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bovril

ECF Veteran
Mar 15, 2014
EU
Just read a study about some flavours containing diacetyl. Does this mean vaping is not safe? Should I be concerned?
http:// news. harvard. edu/gazette/story/2015/12/chemical-flavorings-found-in-e-cigarettes-linked-to-lung-disease/

Chemical flavorings found in e-cigarettes linked to lung disease

Last edited by a moderator:

morningdew

ECF Veteran
May 7, 2013
People's Republic of Stroud
Many are concerned and many are not.

Many juices do contain diacetyl and other related diketones.

I don't have any particular links to hand, someone else may well provide for you, however a search engine or even a search on this forum, will provide you with an over whelming amount of information on this subject.

Me, I avoid all juices that contain diacetyl, acetyl propyinol and acetoin.

The more reasonable vendors, or those who are concerned about this issue, test for said chemicals in their juices.

Choice is yours.

Taowulf

ECF Veteran
Mar 9, 2014
Bend OR
I really wish we could put this to rest.

Dr. Michael Siegel, professor in the Department of Community Health Sciences at Boston University School of Public Health, the Harvard study has several “glaring omissions,” and the level of diacetyl exposure from vaping compared with smoking differs by “orders of magnitude.”

Siegel, who has spent 25 years in the field of tobacco control, points out the study published in the journal “Environmental Health Perspectives” didn’t even mention that regular cigarettes contain diacetyl, and in far greater amounts than any e-liquids.

Looking at the numbers, Siegel found “daily exposure to diacetyl from smoking is therefore 750 times higher, on average than exposure to diacetyl from vaping.” Vapers are, on average, exposed to a daily dose of nine micrograms of diacetyl, compared with 6,718 micrograms for smokers.

Media Bias Exposed: ‘Popcorn Lung’ Chemical 750 Times Greater In Tobacco Vs. E-Cigarettes

7sixtwo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 5, 2013
the hinterlands
Just read a study about some flavours containing diacetyl. Does this mean vaping is not safe? Should I be concerned?
http:// news. harvard. edu/gazette/story/2015/12/chemical-flavorings-found-in-e-cigarettes-linked-to-lung-disease/

No. That's just more anti-vaping propaganda based on half-truths and WAGs. Cigarettes have a hell of a lot more diacetyl than any e-juice, and smokers don't get "popcorn lung". Only a relative handful of people who worked in the popcorn factory ever have.. and one nut who consumed a ridiculous amount of the stuff every day.

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md

Unless you can link a single case of Vaping or even Smoking causing such.............:grr:

Junk science that has never proven any such thing.:glare:

Outside of Industrial Exposures, only one case has ever been successfully settled and that one did NOT Prove Diacetyl in fact was the cause. Only a Plausible link due to Microwave Popcorn Abuse.
*Even the CDC has Never Conclusively proven Diacetyl Dangers outside industrial conditions. * No Science has proven this, to this day, either.

Don't want the risk, Don't purchase flavors likely to contain Diketones.:D

vape-addict

ECF Veteran
Sep 20, 2010
mississippi
Are we going there again???

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    301.2 KB · Views: 43
Reactions: Dougiestyle

HauntedMyst

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 18, 2013
Chicago
  • Deleted by retired1
  • Reason: Nope. Not appropriate

MadVLN

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 15, 2016
Central WA State
smoking anything isn't good for you.

you should be very concerned.

Cacique

ECF Veteran
May 4, 2014
Orlando, FL

Dougiestyle

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2011
Knoxville, TN USA
Diacetyl is an additive to traditional combustible cigarettes in higher percentages than those found in e-liquid. I know of no reports of cigarette smokers suffering from "popcorn lung".

Some worry about it and some don't. I'm of the latter group, because I am 100% sure vaping is significantly safer than smoking. If I get popcorn lung when I'm 90, I lived until I'm 90, and I didn't get lung cancer.

Reactions: glointhedark

smacuser

Total Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jan 22, 2012
    Vape Hartwell, GA
    • Deleted by retired1
    • Reason: Knock it off

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 20, 2012
    Williamsport Md
    • Deleted by retired1
    • Reason: Knock it off

LoveVanilla

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Nov 23, 2013
    Texas
    There are many who choose to avoid. While increasing numbers of suppliers are transparent (and provide test results), others have a history of being downright deceptive. If you choose to avoid, you will want to research for those in the former category. I DIY but perhaps the following thread might be of use to you:
    The Diketone free tested vendors list

7sixtwo

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 5, 2013
    the hinterlands
    • Deleted by retired1
    • Reason: Inappropriate and rude. Knock it off
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread