Way over the top in Suffolk, NY

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlphaGuitarist

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 2, 2015
New York City
I was about to post my experience in a new thread, but stumbled upon this one and figured that I'd rather post here, being that it's the same topic. My wife (we're both vapers) and I live in Brooklyn and were pulled over while driving home last night. I was behind the wheel and knew for a fact that I didn't break any traffic laws. The cops asked for my documents and informed me that they pulled me over because I had my cell phone in my hand. I was completely dumbfounded, as my phone is synced with my car via Bluetooth and, more importantly, I certainly did not have my phone in my hand. My wife immediately pointed out to the cops that they mistook my mod, which I was vaping on when we got pulled over, for a phone. One of the cops immediately realized that she was right, but they ran my license anyway.

After a few minutes, one of the cops came back with my documents and informed me that he will give me a break, since my driving record is crystal clear. He then said that it's illegal to use any type of an electronic device while driving, because both hands must be on the steering wheel (by that standard, I guess it's also illegal to eat, smoke cigarettes and change radio stations while driving). I know better than to argue with cops, so I just took my documents and wished him a good night. Needless to say, I have no intention whatsoever to stop from partaking in a completely legal activity. If I do get a ticket for vaping while driving, I will make it as public as possible.

WillyZee

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 23, 2013
Toronto
I dunno. Going to war with the local cops does not strike me as a particularly good idea.

Agreed.

I bought my house from a cop. It turned out there were a few things wrong, things that by law should have been disclosed. I thought long and hard about it, while I think I could have easily won in court, I ultimately decided it was best not to get on the bad side of the local police force.

They will also resort to physical violence if standard police intimidation does not work :blink:

even cops know better than to challenge other cops.

Reactions: KentA

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
even cops know better than to challenge other cops.
They refer to that as "professional courtesy". That's code for: If you're a cop, other cops will usually let you slide even if you're doing stuff that a mere private citizen would be taking a ride in the back of the squad car for. But occasionally one doesn't. If you want to see what happens then, google up "Donna Jane Watts".

kero

Oct 4, 2016
LI, NY
AlphaGuitarist: I am not surprised at all with regards to your story. Most NY cops think we are all stupid and don't know the laws (I won't get into why as it will cause a political .... storm here, hahahaha)

The cops almost make up laws just so they can give out tickets, half of which either get thrown out or just bargained down to cash and no points, exactly what NY likes. Money Money Money.

Sorry to hear about the pain in the ... experience. .... happens, it's life, you just have to roll with it.

KentA

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 5, 2015
Adirondack Mountains
AlphaGuitarist: I am not surprised at all with regards to your story. Most NY cops think we are all stupid and don't know the laws (I won't get into why as it will cause a political .... storm here, hahahaha)

The cops almost make up laws just so they can give out tickets, half of which either get thrown out or just bargained down to cash and no points, exactly what NY likes. Money Money Money.

Sorry to hear about the pain in the ... experience. .... happens, it's life, you just have to roll with it.
That has been my experience too. Apparently they get patted on the back for the number of tickets they write instead of the number of convictions.

Unfortunately, that disbelief in police honesty is remembered when I'm called for jury duty.

Myrany

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2013
Louisiana
Several years ago here in Louisiana I was pulled over for "Using a cellphone while driving" when the cop found out it was an eCig (I didn't even have my cellphone with me) he promptly pulled out his little kit to make sure my eliquid was not an illegal drug. When that tested as legal he wrote me up for obstructed view as the side windows in the back seat were a bit fogged up.

I paid the ticket and called it done. Fighting around here is almost universally unsuccessful and expensive.

SteveS45

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 27, 2016
Long Island, New York
Oh the obstructed view ticket I got that for having a Tao Cross hanging from my rear view mirror. 2 thin lines of string were in my view as the cross sits below the dashboard. I quick visit to the local Police Precinct to have the infraction confirmed as taken care of and the court costs paid. While at the Precinct the Sergeant remarked oh looks like someone is in a ticket writing mood today.

Reactions: Myrany

AlphaGuitarist

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 2, 2015
New York City

Although the NYPD will never admit it, they do, in fact, have ticket quotas. Then again, many jurisdictions do. Last summer, my wife and I were driving on Route 17 through a small New Jersey village called Saddle River. Having been warned about NJ state troopers, I was doing speed limit. Lo and behold, we got pulled over by a local cop, who said that he pulled me over for careless driving (what does that even mean???) and asked to see my documents. When he came back, he said that he will cut me a break (seems like a common phrase with cops) and give me two no-point violations, one for "obstructed view" and one for "obstructed license plate." Both tickets came out to $100, so I just paid them, as it would cost me far more to lose a vacation day and deal with a small town court 50 miles away. A few days later, a coworker who lives in that area told me that the local cops have a scam where they target drivers with out of state plates and give them no-point violations, knowing that it's cheaper to pay it than to fight it. They avoid handing out violations that carry points, as those result in insurance hikes and drivers are more likely to challenge those in court.

Geez, it sounds like you guys live in a Gestapo state.

That's a pretty accurate definition of NYC.

That has been my experience too. Apparently they get patted on the back for the number of tickets they write instead of the number of convictions.

Unfortunately, that disbelief in police honesty is remembered when I'm called for jury duty.

The NYPD refuses to admit that it has ticket quotas, instead referring to the minimum amount of required summonses per month as "performance standards." The highest performer in his/her precinct is typically rewarded, whereas the lowest performer is assigned an undesirable duty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread