What uses more battery Power Low or high resistance??

Status
Not open for further replies.

zapped

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2009
Richmond, Va...Right in Altria's back yard.
Ive heard two differing opinions on this one myself.

One theory has to do with drawing more amps to get the job done at lower voltages with low resistance.

I honestly forget the other one but they both made sense.

In the end I said the hell with it and made my decision on the temperature of my vape.

nanovapr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 15, 2011
Catatonic State, USA
LR cartos/attys were initially created for hotter temps on a fixed voltage device. If you can't turn it up, LR sort of simulates higher voltage (it gets hotter). There is a penalty, LR does use more amperage (at the same voltage), and that is what sucks the battery down faster.

For a VV/VW device, it is better to use SR cartos/atty and turn up the voltage a bit. That uses less amps, and the battery will last longer, but you still get a warmer/bigger/better/tastier/whatever vape.

Edit/Addendum: LR and SR do have different characteristics at differing temperatures. In a small way, LR can come up to temp faster than SR. Some may like this, I can't tell.

Last edited:

Tonytiger1

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 22, 2012
Houston
3.7 volt 2000 mah battery. = 2amp hour. At 3.7 volts.

Use the wats the way you want
Amps times volts equal wats
Voltage divided by ohm equal amps

2 ohm atty
3.7 volts. 1.8 amps 6.6 watt
4.0 volts 2 amps. 8 watt

1.5 ohm atty.
3.7 volts 2.5 amps 9 watt

Voltage divided by resistance equals amps.
Total amps are total amps no matter how you use them.
A lot for a short time or a little for a long time.

So if I have 1 ohm 3.7 amps.
2 ohm 1.85 amps
3 ohm 1,2. Amps

You would think higher resistance would give you more time. But watts heat.

Wats.

Amps times volts

1 ohm. 3.7 amps 3.7 volts 13.69 wats
2 ohm 1.85 amps 3.7 volts. 6.84 wats

Higher ohm longer drag. Primer puff. . Comes out the same.
Vs just a 5 second good hot hit.

Vv. 2 ohm at 5 volts. 10 wats.

Perfect world time.
vv 4 volts at 2 ohm is 2 amps. One hour
Vv 4 volts at 1,5 ohm 2.6 amps 45 min

Reduce these numbers to about 75%

Tony

I Shall Not Recant

Verified Member
Jul 6, 2012
Dumbarton, Scotland
Also, if you are using dual coil cartomizers, they are draining your battery faster than a single coil would.

If you are using replacement dual coils in a DCT tank, be aware that you can also use single coil cartomizers instead.
?
Can you explain why that is?

Surely a 1.5 ohm dual coil would draw the same current as a 1.5 ohm single coil.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
The dual coils in a 1.5 ohm atty are dual 3 ohm coils in parallel. The end resistance is 1.5 ohms and will draw the same current as a single 1.5 ohm coil. It's equivalent to water flowing through a pipe. It doesn't matter if you use one pipe or two, the pressure required to push a given volume will be similar if the cross section of the pipes is equal. Smoothness or roughness of the interior can affect back pressure in that situation, though.

Wattage is a better cumulative measurement of power (heat in a resistive circuit) and is used to indicate the end result of a combination of voltage across a given resistance in terms of heat production from electron flow volume. Amperage is a measurement of the amount of current flow (volume in electron flow) produced by voltage across or through a given resistance. Voltage is synonomous with pressure in a water pipe and electron push in a resistive circuit. The more voltage, the faster the electrons flow.

I (current) = E (voltage) over R (resistance)

W (watts) = I (current) times E (voltage)

ohmlsawwheel.gif

HowStuffWorks "What are amps, watts, volts and ohms?"

Last edited:

zapped

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2009
Richmond, Va...Right in Altria's back yard.
That still doesnt explain why I can push the voltage on my Provari to over 5 volts with 1.5 dual coils. Id get an e1 error if i tried that with a single coil.Thats why I said it effectively doubles the resistance.

Were probably saying close to the same thing here but math might as well be a foreign language to me :)

Last edited:

r77r7r

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    I think DC's got a bad name when using them on 3.4 ego's. At the time, most were using 2-2.5 Ohms cartos, and just being that much lower was sucking our batts dry quickly.

Also, many feel that below 1.7-2.0 is Bad for the ego battery in general. I've only had one out of 10 egos go bad, and that was using a DC on it.

At 3.4-3.7, I've not noticed a better vape on the ego using the DC's rather than a 1.7.

Tonytiger1

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jan 22, 2012
    Houston
    That still doesnt explain why I can push the voltage on my Provari to over 5 volts with 1.5 dual coils. Id get an e1 error if i tried that with a single coil.Thats why I said it effectively doubles the resistance.

Were probably saying close to the same thing here but math might as well be a foreign language to me :)

That's 3.3 amps. Old provari. 2.5 max. New 3.5. Amps.
    New also has a watt limit. Believe it is 15
    So at 3.3 at 5 volts that 16.5 watt

You may be under the amp limit but not the watt.

Lower voltage to 4.5. See if it fires. Right on the edge. 15/3.3 = 4.5.

Tony

I Shall Not Recant

Verified Member
    Jul 6, 2012
    Dumbarton, Scotland
    Thanks for answering me guys.
    I was actually hoping Baditude would answer though since he made the original statement I was bothered by.

The ProVari performs to certain specs. It cannot perform outside of it's specs. It has a current limit that alters depending on the voltage (provape have a chart).
    Two identical resistances (i.e. a 1.5 dual and a 1.5 single) give the same current so the cutoff is the same.
    So Zapped, I'd guess your dual coils are at a slightly higher resistance than your single coils. It wouldn't take much. Not meaning to offend btw, just curious.

markfm

Aussie Pup Wrangler
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 9, 2010
    Beautiful Baldwinsville (CNY)
    It depends on the efficiency of the regulator. The engineering side is picking a regulator giving good efficiency given the battery voltage isn't really constant, it decreases over time. Regulators don't have constant efficiency. They will vary based on input voltage and output voltage/current, and different regulators have different sweet spots.

I use buck regulator VV, stacked 3.7V batteries, which means fresh batteries are really pushing about 8.4V, decreasing over time to about 6.5V. With my gear, I'm better running 3 ohms at 5.5V (10.1 watts) rather than 1.5 ohms at 3.9V (also 10.1 watts) -- it's a more efficient operating zone for the particular regulator and batteries.

Personal preference comes into play. I happen to really like some cartos and atties available at 2.5 ohms, so trade a little run time by using them somewhere in the 4.5 - 5V zone most of the time.

Last edited:

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
    ECF Veteran
    May 22, 2010
    Central GA

You might want to put a volt-ohm-meter on the two cartos to see what the actual resistance is. I have a box of 3 ohm cartos that read anywhere from 2.6 ohms to 3 ohms. The resistance is based on the material used in the wire, the thickness of the wire, and the length of the piece cut and coiled when building the carto. Coils can touch each other and lower the resistance even more. There's some shoddy workmanship in China that varies widely.

Read the two and calculate the amp and current loads for the readings you get. The math factor can be bypassed by using this calculator. You just enter the values and it does the rest.

Ohm's Law Calculator

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread