WHAT'S WRONG WITH MY E-JUICE?

Doug_Dread

ECF Veteran
Oct 26, 2009
Jo'burg, South Africa
Excuse the caps but I'm frustrated.

I'm a long-time vaper who HAD to give up smoking due to damaged lungs. I started in 2009 with the tech still in its infancy, but as the tech improved, I managed to quit cigarettes completely over a few months. After that, I followed the improving tech until I found my ideal; the JustFog C14 tank and coil. My ventures in following the tech further failed, especially the Direct to Lung and low resistance kits which had an almost immediate adverse effect on my lungs; too dangerous for me.

I mixed my own 50/50 PG/VG and was using an imported vanilla flavouring in my e-juice, from a particular supplier, and had no problems until they went bust during Covid. After that, I sampled dozens of alternative flavourings but the ones that tasted good enough, all hit my lungs and caused breathing problems. At this point, about 2 years ago, I took the decision to go flavourless. This worked for a year or so.

I continued buying separate PG, VG and Nicotine and mixing down to about 16mg concentration; however, this is no longer working for me. Over the last year I've struggled with problems such as lack of 'hit' which reduces satisfaction and a big increase in phlegm. Despite being an experienced vaper, I don't know what's wrong!

It could be the PG, VG or Nicotine not being up to scratch, although I've used a number of different, reputable suppliers. It could be the atomisers imported from China (no one else makes them anymore), not doing their job properly, although they seem to heat ok. It could be the eGo batteries, also imported from China (no one else makes them anymore), which measure a fixed 4.1V, a little higher than my preferred 3.7V.

Basically, I'm not enjoying my vaping atm and I just don't know which way to turn anymore. Any ideas?

Doug_Dread

ECF Veteran
Oct 26, 2009
Jo'burg, South Africa
Maybe try mixing with more PG, less VG?

For me, high VG produces a lot of phlegm, so I mix to about 65 PG. At the same time, more PG will produce more throat hit.
Good logic. I've tried PG loading but since going flavourless, find high PG a bit harsh on flavour; VG adds a touch of flavour when vapourised. I ended up on 50/50 but with the Nicotine in a PG base, so leaning slightly towards PG. I miss my flavouring but cannot find one that doesn't want to kill me.

Reactions: DavidOck

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA
Good logic. I've tried PG loading but since going flavourless, find high PG a bit harsh on flavour; VG adds a touch of flavour when vapourised. I ended up on 50/50 but with the Nicotine in a PG base, so leaning slightly towards PG. I miss my flavouring but cannot find one that doesn't want to kill me.

Yes, the VG does add a touch of "sweet" to it, but PG does a better job of carrying actual flavor - if using flavors ;)

I vape around 18 mg/ml, and 65% PG, various flavors. I find that combo gives me the desired nic and TH.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
No, never gave it a thought. Doesn't it suppress vapourising? Tell me more?

Some say that adding a Little Water to a mix actually Taste Better. I don't think I have ever used Pure VG in one of my recipes. I have always used a Slightly Thinned VG as the "VG" Component.

Why don't you try Diluting say 100ml of VG to a thickness somewhere between the thickness of PG and Pure VG. Then use that as the VG in your Recipe instead of Pure VG.

Last edited:

Doug_Dread

ECF Veteran
Oct 26, 2009
Jo'burg, South Africa
Some say that adding a Little Water to a mix actually Taste Better. I don't think I have ever used Pure VG in one of my recipes. I have always used a Slightly Thinned VG as the "VG" Component.

Why don't you try Diluting say 100ml of VG to a thickness somewhere between the thickness of PG and Pure VG. Then use that as the VG in your Recipe instead of Pure VG.
I can't get my head around the H2O bit; that should just kill the vapour.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Richard Feynman once said, "It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are. If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong."

Well... the Opposite of that is True also.

Maybe its one of those things that you Don't have to know Why something works. Only if it Does or Doesn't for you.

dib258

Supporting Member
  • Apr 14, 2014
    Belgium
    eliquid.diy
    Hello,

I started vaping in 2013, so it's not that old as you started but I also wen through multiple phase of throat problem and phlegm.

I never really understood what happened, what changed, but now it comes as phases and I found ways to reduce it drastically. (less flavor, less DL, less power or fancy coil). I do also all of my e-liquids myself to know exactly what I vape so I can adapt from time to time.

Do you still vape without any aroma but have those problem of lack of throat hit and phlegm ? or are you using again aroma?

And for the material that you buy, do you clean it properly before using? Like hand clean, in the diswasher, sonic bath in isopropyl alcohol?

I also found on some mods that there where hidden parts. For example : if you don't disassemble it all the way through when cleaning it, some times there could be some build up of gunk that could potentially reduced the quality of your vape ( I don't know if it could cause other symptoms like phlegm and less hit)

Have you tried other MtL atomizer? since maybe you you doubt of the quality of your current material.

You can at least experience another atomizer to answer your hypotheses that the materiel you have right now could be in someway bad quality.

Mordacai

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jan 16, 2019
    UK
    Atomisers have come on in leaps and bounds from cartomisers @Doug_Dread, maybe upgrading a little too may help.

Tanks such as the Aspire Nautilus range and Innokin Zlide alongside a new mod with a replaceable battery.

And yes, thinning with Distilled Water does work. But always remember that a little goes a long way, it'll even allow for use of VG only if necessary.

Also if you have issues with PG there's PEG100 that can be used as an alternative.

Doug_Dread

ECF Veteran
    Oct 26, 2009
    Jo'burg, South Africa
    Hello,

I started vaping in 2013, so it's not that old as you started but I also wen through multiple phase of throat problem and phlegm.

I never really understood what happened, what changed, but now it comes as phases and I found ways to reduce it drastically. (less flavor, less DL, less power or fancy coil). I do also all of my e-liquids myself to know exactly what I vape so I can adapt from time to time.

Do you still vape without any aroma but have those problem of lack of throat hit and phlegm ? or are you using again aroma?

And for the material that you buy, do you clean it properly before using? Like hand clean, in the diswasher, sonic bath in isopropyl alcohol?

I also found on some mods that there where hidden parts. For example : if you don't disassemble it all the way through when cleaning it, some times there could be some build up of gunk that could potentially reduced the quality of your vape ( I don't know if it could cause other symptoms like phlegm and less hit)

Have you tried other MtL atomizer? since maybe you you doubt of the quality of your current material.

You can at least experience another atomizer to answer your hypotheses that the materiel you have right now could be in someway bad quality.
    I don't use flavouring anymore, it causes breathing problems.
    The JustFog C14 is very easy to clean well.
    I got as far as trying the Eleaf Melo III with standard and low resistance atomisers, but backed off: too much vapour also causes breathing problems.
    I am a little suspicious of my fixed 4.1V batteries making the atomiser burn too hot. Goes a bit better with a mod battery that I can dial down to 3.7V (7 watt).
    JustFog OEM coils are not made anymore; no choice but to use Chinese generic coils.

Doug_Dread

ECF Veteran
    Oct 26, 2009
    Jo'burg, South Africa
    Atomisers have come on in leaps and bounds from cartomisers @Doug_Dread, maybe upgrading a little too may help.

Tanks such as the Aspire Nautilus range and Innokin Zlide alongside a new mod with a replaceable battery.

And yes, thinning with Distilled Water does work. But always remember that a little goes a long way, it'll even allow for use of VG only if necessary.

Also if you have issues with PG there's PEG100 that can be used as an alternative.
    I have tried the Nautilus Aspire and Eleaf Melo III, normal and low resistance, with mod batteries but soon went back to the JustFog; right for me. Younger people can kick the can down the road, but too much vapour gives me breathing problems.

Mordacai

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jan 16, 2019
    UK
    What coils did you try with the Nautilus?

As there's a 1.8 ohm one available.

5.png

Best to avoid the clapton style one though as clapton coils produce more vapor

Last edited:

RealGodYexiu

Nov 26, 2023
    I continued buying separate PG, VG and Nicotine and mixing down to about 16mg concentration; however, this is no longer working for me. Over the last year I've struggled with problems such as lack of 'hit' which reduces satisfaction and a big increase in phlegm. Despite being an experienced vaper, I don't know what's wrong!
    Did that only happen to you with one of the coils or both?
    Like if you smoke 50/50 in a 0.3 you basically invite phlegm and a sore/dry throat.
    I mean PG and VG both absorb moisture, so drinking is really important too.
    Also while VG is generally accused of drying, irritating and producing more Phlegm while PG is accused of irritating and drying the throat out more.
    -
    For me higher PG did both after a few months, while VG smoothed out that problem for me.
    So everyone is different.
    -
    If it is a PG/VG problem, drinking more could help.

BTW In the beginning 50/50 was fine and it was almost impossible to vape 70/30 for me because I needed the throat hit to get away from cigarettes.
    But after some time I always had a sore throat in the morning and couldn't vape for some hours after waking up.
    Also the Phlegm I only had the first month or 2 after stopping smoking started to reappear.
    So idk but it could just be that at some point my body started to get more irritated from the high PG amount. Could be the same for your phlegm problem. But idk.

I really don't know what could have changed the throat hit tho.
    When did you mix your current liquid/juice?
    Nicotine will degrade over time.
    I mean theres lots of possibilites.
    It could also be you being more used to the nic amount.
    Maybe you accidently bought NicSalt instead, you won't feel much throat hit then xD

BTW it most likely has nothing to do with chinese vaporizers :'D the top tank/mod companies nowadays are all Chinese.

Doug_Dread

ECF Veteran
    Oct 26, 2009
    Jo'burg, South Africa
    Did that only happen to you with one of the coils or both?
    Like if you smoke 50/50 in a 0.3 you basically invite phlegm and a sore/dry throat.
    I mean PG and VG both absorb moisture, so drinking is really important too.
    Also while VG is generally accused of drying, irritating and producing more Phlegm while PG is accused of irritating and drying the throat out more.
    -
    For me higher PG did both after a few months, while VG smoothed out that problem for me.
    So everyone is different.
    -
    If it is a PG/VG problem, drinking more could help.

BTW In the beginning 50/50 was fine and it was almost impossible to vape 70/30 for me because I needed the throat hit to get away from cigarettes.
    But after some time I always had a sore throat in the morning and couldn't vape for some hours after waking up.
    Also the Phlegm I only had the first month or 2 after stopping smoking started to reappear.
    So idk but it could just be that at some point my body started to get more irritated from the high PG amount. Could be the same for your phlegm problem. But idk.

I really don't know what could have changed the throat hit tho.
    When did you mix your current liquid/juice?
    Nicotine will degrade over time.
    I mean theres lots of possibilites.
    It could also be you being more used to the nic amount.
    Maybe you accidently bought NicSalt instead, you won't feel much throat hit then xD

BTW it most likely has nothing to do with chinese vaporizers :'D the top tank/mod companies nowadays are all Chinese.
    Problem continued from my previous mix to my fresh mix with fresh materials; def not NicSalt.

Users who are viewing this thread