The Genesis Revolution
by, 06-03-2012 at 04:02 AM (600 Views)
The vaping world is seeming to lean toward this "new technology" It's not really new and it isnt really that advanced. What it is, is different and "user serviceable".
For those new to genesis atties or if this is the first time you are hearing of it, Genesis atties are a way of vaporizing juice. Essentially you have a juice vessel and an oxidized stainless steel wick. The Juice vessel is the bottom of the atomizer. The wick extends down through the top with the lower portion saturated in your juice. The wick is nothing more than SS mesh which has been heated to cause it to oxidize to prevent it from being a conductor. The which draws juice up from the vessel through capillary action as well as is helped by sometimes tilting or the negative pressure caused by drawing on the top of the atty as the user takes a drag. Capillary action can be summed up by the natural occurence of liquid climbing to saturate something even though nothing is available to supply lift to the liquid. This can be demonstrated by placing a sack of flour in a shallow pan and pouring water into the pan. You will notice the water being drawn into the flour far above the water line in your pan. This is a perfect example of how capillary actions and the genesis wick work.
The wick is in turn heated by either kanthal or nichrome heating (resistance) wire to vaporize the liquid in the stainless steel mesh. This is by definition a genesis atomizer.
The significant value in this atomizer from most accounts is :
- Cleaner taste of liquid as no fabric is used as a carrier device.
- Rebuidable with common materials which are readily avilable in raw form.
- User tweakable. If you like a hotter or cooler vape you adjust the ohm rating of the coil rather than adjusting the voltage
The appeal to all of this is that the atomizer is very cheap to rebuild and maintain. The juice has a more natural taste as it does not get stifled by batting or wicking material found in cartomizers.
The down sides:
- Wicks must be hand rolled and oxidized by the user. At the current time no manufacturers offer pre-rolled and oxidized wicks for purchase unless you own a APV they developed (See: House of Hybrids Zenesis)
- Kanthal and nichrome must be wrapped around the wick and fastened by the user at the time of service. It is not a open the package and go type solution.
- These atties are not user friendly. Getting proficient with rebuilding this style of atomizer takes time and experience. User must know their devices, their principles and be willing to attempt to fiddle with their atties when rebuilt for the first time.
- Lacking availability. Most genesis style atties are difficult to get. The demand is high for this new style of atomizer and they are increasingly difficult to get as more and more users become aware of the style of device. There is more on this we will talk about below.
The atty does present a unique advantage in that is ever there was a shortage of atomizer or cartomizers for instance say if the FDA held shipments of ecig goods, genesis users would enjoy not being bothered by the lack of equipment.
Why hasn't this product taken off like a wildfire NewQ? Well there are several reasons in addition to the onces mentioned about. The original inventor of the genesis style atomizer released the design to the Ecig community to benefit all with the caveat that no manufacturer could use it for the purposes of making a profit. Well if i cant make a profit building these , why would I sell it ?
Many manufacturers have decided to ignore the warning originally posted with this atty design and for good reason. Releasing a product to the community without having a viable channel to obtain these atties from is essential to its existance. What good is a design if no one is willing to make it , regardless of the designs benefit.
This could turn out to be very damaging if the creator ever decides to collect on royalties for infringment. However i would hope that in light of his generousity to the community that he understand his ingenuinty is worthless to the majority of us, unless we can get someone to make it for us. All things being equal , most people dont know how to use a metal lathe much less use one.
Until the genesis atty becomes more popular and someone starts mass producing them, the majority of us will have to rely on being very lucky, being in the right place at the right time.