Cleaning coils.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caden

Sep 27, 2015
Hey there! So I have a clearomizer, and I have a couple questions about cleaning the coil for it. I recently received it, and the past week I've been using water to clean the coil off. Well I figured that was a bad idea now that I think about it, so I did a little more research. I found something called dry burning to clean the coil. So I tried it, and I think it worked, but it started to smell a burning smell. Did I mess up my coil? I Have replacements, So can easily put one on, but I'm just curious as to if that was the proper way to clean it? Should it smell like it's burning? Also, how often should I change my coils out? And how can I tell when my coil needs to be replaced? Thanks!

IMFire3605

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 3, 2013
Blue Rapids, KS, US
Hey there! So I have a clearomizer, and I have a couple questions about cleaning the coil for it. I recently received it, and the past week I've been using water to clean the coil off. Well I figured that was a bad idea now that I think about it, so I did a little more research. I found something called dry burning to clean the coil. So I tried it, and I think it worked, but it started to smell a burning smell. Did I mess up my coil? I Have replacements, So can easily put one on, but I'm just curious as to if that was the proper way to clean it? Should it smell like it's burning? Also, how often should I change my coils out? And how can I tell when my coil needs to be replaced? Thanks!

If the wick is Silica (almost a fiberglass type of wicking, will turn clear, almost invisible when wet and soaked) can withstand a few dry burns. You can also try soaking the coil in some everclear, moonshine, or unflavored cheap vodka, rinsing and letting it air dry for about a day.

May not match your tank system, but here are a few ways to do coil head maintenance, a lot of it will work on several types of tanks, even top coil...

https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/f...yle-single-coil-clearomizer-maintenance.5267/

Caden

Sep 27, 2015
If the wick is Silica (almost a fiberglass type of wicking, will turn clear, almost invisible when wet and soaked) can withstand a few dry burns. You can also try soaking the coil in some everclear, moonshine, or unflavored cheap vodka, rinsing and letting it air dry for about a day.

May not match your tank system, but here are a few ways to do coil head maintenance, a lot of it will work on several types of tanks, even top coil...

https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/f...yle-single-coil-clearomizer-maintenance.5267/
So basically either way if I wet the coil it will not damage it correct?

Ou2mame

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2015
Long island
It won't damage it, but its probably not going to function very well. Water, especially tap water, differs in quality depending on the source. People usually soak their used coils in vodka or grain alcohol to attempt to clean them and it may or may not work depending on the coil condition. If you're looking to save money you're better off moving to rebuildables. The taifun gt2 is extremely easy to build and works very well. And they're very cheap. I would consider that route because long term, cleaning coils isn't going to be a very reliable way to vape.

Caden

Sep 27, 2015
It won't damage it, but its probably not going to function very well. Water, especially tap water, differs in quality depending on the source. People usually soak their used coils in vodka or grain alcohol to attempt to clean them and it may or may not work depending on the coil condition. If you're looking to save money you're better off moving to rebuildables. The taifun gt2 is extremely easy to build and works very well. And they're very cheap. I would consider that route because long term, cleaning coils isn't going to be a very reliable way to vape.
I currently have an aspire K1 starter set.

Do I need go clean the coil every time I switch to a new flavor?

IMFire3605

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 3, 2013
Blue Rapids, KS, US
Generally when switching flavors, if the flavor is similar you can just add the new flavor and vape through the old flavor still in the wicks and it will transition, ie a watermelon to say a honeydew flavor, both melon flavors the transition should not be bad and possibly an interesting combo, going from a fruit to a tobacco flavor for instance wouldn't generally be a good idea, this instance you would want to clean the coil out completely. Dry burning clearomizer heads like with the Aspire line, depending on the wicking could be a bad idea, they have been using mainly cotton and a ceramic cotton hybrid a while, these wicks will not put up with any dry burning abuse at all, dry burning will scorch them, scorch the wick, the coil is bad and needs to be replaced. Going to be going through a lot of flavors to try them out, you would be better served with using a "510 Dripping Atomizer", drip a few drops into it, put a drip tip on, take a few vapes, once flavor falls off, drip couple more drops in of your next flavor. Use you tanks for flavors you will be using a full day to full few days to save money, the little dripper atomizer though about $10USD a pop can last about a month with proper care, "Not dry firing them" to often. That should keep you going strong until you get comfortable with the more advanced stuff like rebuildables @Ou2mame suggested.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread