Cleaning Coils - Aspire BDC to Change Juice

Status
Not open for further replies.

PillowOfJess

May 16, 2014
LA
Hi all,

I am a frustrated, new vaper. :)

I have an eGo-C Twist 650ohm (the 1000ohm is due in the mail today).

I bought it as part of a new vaper's kit. It came with an Aspite CE4 BDC clearomizer. I have since bought a second one of these so I could have them loaded with different juices.

I am also expecting later today 2 Kanger T3s glassomizers.

I have replacement coils for both.

I have no idea how to rebuild or refurbish anything.

I have a lot of juice I want to use, but I am confused on 2 points:
1. When people recommend I clean the "clearomizer" to switch juices, do they mean the coil too? I tried cleaning the Aspire BDC coil in two ways: soap and water with over night air dry and dry burning off any remaining juice. Both resulted in burned coils. Should I just be cleaning the tank part or should I do the coil too? If I should be doing the coil, how do I do it so that it doesn't burn out?

2. The websites that sell the Aspire CE4 keep saying that I should refill when I am down to 1/3 of the juice, but what if I want to change juices? Does that mean I am stuck throwing away the remaining 1/3 from the previous tank.

Also, is the Kanger T3 different than the Aspire CE4 on any of these issues?

Thanks for reading this long post!

renorat

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 24, 2014
Reno, Nevada, United States
On the CE4's, I wash my coils with hot water(no soap) or plain old cheap vodka. Let them dry overnight or you can pulse dry burn them. That means only press fire button for a couple seconds and release and I've found it's best to only do it a couple times. The overnight dry option is preferred. I'm still working with coils that are now 9 weeks old and not burnt yet using this method.

As for #2, run them as low as you want, I've run them down VERY low, to the point there is no visible juice in the tank. That coil actually holds a couple drops of juice inside and you can prime it with new flavors so you don't have to do the wait 10 minutes to avoid the burnt taste like some of the other clearos.

Last edited:

Jscheiben

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 21, 2014
Ontario, Canada
I used to dump the remaining juice back into the bottle when I switched flavors. I was also using aspire bdc and was able to dry burn it.

Video I used to dry burn the bdc, it's in French but I muted it and just watched the pretty pictures.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ar4spVPLWY

hope that helps somewhat. I will add that the silver cap on the atomizer is a bit of a pain in the rear to get off, I wrapped in paper towel and then used a set of pliers to get the cap off. I'd recommend attempting this on an old atomizer(in case u mess up) just to get a feel for it.

EBates

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 4, 2013
Texas
If you are changing the juice in a tank I clean both the tank and the atomizer head. Half Done is not Done. You will have a mix of the old and new flavor if the atomizer head is not cleaned or replaced with a new or cleaned head.

This is the process that I use on single coil PT/Evod heads. It should work as well on dual coil heads.
Soak in 91% Isopropyl alcohol or everclear over night or until I get 5-6 to clean.
Rinse throughly with warm tap water forcing water into the wick area.
Towel dry and blow out any water.
mount the head on a tank base.
Remove the gasket and stem.
Remove the flavor wick(s).
Mount the tank base with the atomizer head on your PV.
Dry burn (6 watts on a VW mod), 5 seconds on/off. Repeat until coils are all turning red and wick is clean.
Blow the burned off crud away.

Hold the flavor wick with tweezer while burning them with a lighter or torch until wick is clean.
-Place the flavor wick back on top of the coil.
Or
-Replace the flavor wick with the material of your choice.

Reinstall the stem and gasket.

PillowOfJess

May 16, 2014
LA
Thanks so much for the replies.

I know it's part of the "fun" of learning, but I can't stomach burning out more Aspire coils. I did exactly as the YouTube video said, but when I went to use it again: burnt. I am sure there is some trick or finesse involve that I a missing.

The only reason cleaning is an issue besides my OCD tendencies is switching between the coffee/dessert flavors and the lighter fruit flavors. As of last night, I am just washing the glass/plastic portion with soap and water, leaving the coil, and segregating the clearomizers/glasomizers so that I use similar flavors in the same equipment.

So much to learn...

cbrite

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 29, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Didn't using soap leave a little soapy taste behind? I just use hot water. The BDC ES are glass, so I figure they aren't holding onto the previous flavor like plastic tanks would. I just rinse everything (including coil) well and leave them to dry overnight. I usually have 3 tanks going--one with a bakery flavor, one fruity, and one coffee, so I just add juice to them as they run out and do any washing out at night before I go to bed.

BernieVideo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2013
NoHo El Lay CA
Seems like a lot of trouble to avoid spending $2 on a fresh new coil.
I have tried all the BDC cleaning methods. They work to a point, but they do not taste near as good as a fresh coil.
I also can't see the point of going through all the trouble of rebuilding a $2 coil, unless you are doing it for the enjoyment / hobby of it.
Just my 2 cents on 2 dollar coils.

Tapatalking with my thumbs.
Join the CASAA.
Protect your Vaping Rights!

PillowOfJess

May 16, 2014
LA
I washed the soap off of the clear part because I could still smell the previous juice. Hot water wasn't cutting it. I rinsed a few times and didn't smell the soap before filling it or taste it once I started using it.

I still hate the idea that eventually, I am going to have to waste some juice if I follow that more than 1/3 full rule. At least at the bottom of the bottle. I am going to rock it 'til the wheels fall off and go for as long as I can before refilling.

renorat

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 24, 2014
Reno, Nevada, United States
Another option....just swap out coils for a new flavor. It's not like they are all that expensive or that hard to keep track of what coil and what type of juice, was last run through it. You could end up with quite the collection of used coils if you wanted for each flavor, but you could narrow it down to fruity, bakery, etc.

Huskey

Sep 16, 2014
Charlotte, NC
i always rinse my tank out with hot water when i am switching juice. I also try burn the coil head as to me it seems like the Aspire BDC tank gets pretty gunky in the coil head pretty fast. Maybe its just the juice i am using, not sure. But that does the job for me for about 2 weeks give or take and then its time for another coil which i get from my local smoke shop for 3 bucks

kakiser56

ECF Veteran
Aug 11, 2014
New Hope, PA
I only vape two flavors so for me, when I want to switch flavors, I'll take the coil and soak overnight in vodka, rinse the tank out, let that dry overnight. In the morning, I'll fill up the cleaned tank with the new flavor, and either use a new coil or the cleaned coil that was previously used for the replacement flavor. I'll reuse the coil that was soaking overnight when I want to switch back the flavor it was using.
I also let coils dry for 24 hours as well before using.
It's really trial and error. I certainly burned enough coils by not drying them out completely, or trying to cape before it wicks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread