First E-cig: ePuffer Magnum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deficit

Moved On
Mar 2, 2009
Vienna, Ohio
I ordered my ePuffer EAZE Magnum on February 14th and was very very excited about it. I kept watching Leaford and Dusty's reviews of various e-cigs almost constantly for 2 days before and after ordering, and was happy with the good reviews my particular model had recieved from each of them (particularly Leaford's "New 5 Favs", where he absolutely raved about the ePuffer Magnum batteries). I was so excited I could hardly contain myself, this was about to be my first e-cig experience. I also ordered a 5 pack of carts (in addition to the 2 sample carts and bonus 5 pack in the starter kit). Now for my review, since I currently can't start new threads anywhere else, and I also need some advice.

The first thing that sort-of frustrated me was the fact that I placed my order on the 14th of February, yet ePuffer didn't even ship the order until February 23rd (the item was never listed as "Out of Stock" on their website at all during that entire week). ePuffer did not offer any explaination as to why they were so slow to ship it, as I was told my order would be in my mailbox in 4 -10 business days, not that they would wait about 10 days before shipping it. It finally arrived on February 28th (8 days before the date of this post).

The batteries came fully charged, which I was VERY happy about (I heard they took an 8 hour initial charge and didn't want to wait). So that was a nice added bonus in my opinion. The kit also came in a very nice, sturdy, heavy-duty fully branded collectible box (similar to the one I have seen on the images for the Bloog), which was also a nice surprise, as I was expecting it to be packaged in a cheap flimsy unbranded box as was shown in Dusty's unboxing/ review of the same kit. Obviously some things have changed since Dusty did his video review.

I immediately began to vape a few puffs from each battery, to make sure both were charged, worked, and to see if there were any inconsistencies between the smaller and larger batteries. I noticed 2 differences in performance immediately. The first thing I noticed on the small battery was that the draw was harder than on the larger battery - I can live with that, still a slight disappointment. The second inconsistency I noticed was the fact that on the larger battery, the pressure switch engaged immediately upon drawing on it - not so with the smaller battery. With the smaller one, the pressure switch only engaged after a short primer puff, even if your initial draw was 5 seconds or more long it would not engage without a primer puff. That was a big disappointment because while it doesn't render it useless, it is a bit of an inconvenience and the inconsistency between draw strength and switch performance when switching between batteries got very annoying. Requires almost a completely different method of vaping between the two, which in my opinion definitely takes away from the seamless interchange I was hoping for between main and backup batteries.

Unfortunatlely, I can't say that's all the battery issues I've already had. The smaller battery would sometimes not engage at all after only a couple of days, even on a full charge, inless I repeatedly sucked and blew through the both ends of the battery with the cartridge off, which would seem to get the pressure switch to again function properly at least for a short time before having the issue again. I do not refill my cartridges, I do not even have e-liquid (yet) so I would say the chances of the switch getting stuck due to liquid in the battery are pretty slim - this battery preformed badly off the start. As of March 5th (6 days after recieving this kit), the small battery's switch appears to have completely gone out. No amount of sucking or blowing through either end of the battery has been able to get this battery to turn on again, however it is fully charged and when attached to the charger the LED on the battery does come on for a brief second to indicate charging, then it goes back off since it is fully charged. The battery is not dead, I believe the problem to be with the switch.

Now the larger battery. I had no issues with the large battery all week until today. It had appeared that the switch in the large battery had gone out as well, until I did the same trick (sucking and blowing through each end of the battery until the switch unstuck). It is again working, but I did notice that at least one component inside the battery tube started sounding like it was rattling around in there if I hold it by the cartridge and give it a light shake. I fully expect that this battery will soon take the same fate as the small one and crap out on me.

The cartidges I recieved from ePuffer I believed to be sub standard from what I heard they should have been. I found that out of my batch of 12 initial cartridges, at least 8 of them only lasted for about 50 puffs before starting to get a paper burning taste and smell, as well as a very harsh breathing-in-burnt-notebook-paper-smoke throat and chest hit. After only 50 puffs at best, and at $3/ cart plus shipping I find this completely unacceptable as well.

On the morning of February 16th (well before I recieved my e-cig), I had started to worry that when I received my new e-cig I would not have enough cartridges to last. Taking Leaford's advice I ordered three 5-packs (15 carts) of cartridges from Smoke51, as Leaford DID caution that ePuffer may produce a large amount of bad cartridges and said the Smoke51 carts were better. My experience so far with Smoke51 has been this: as of Tuesday THIS WEEK, they STILL had not even shipped my order out yet! Almost 2 weeks after the order was placed! I sent them an email first thing in the morning on Tuesday asking why the order had not shipped and told them if they cannot fill the order in a timely manner to let me know and I will do a chargeback and order from someone who could ship it quicker. Talking about doing a chargeback must have lit a fire under their butts because 3 hours later I got a confirmation email from both them and UPS stating that my order had shipped. At first I was elated, but then I noticed that Smoke51 had given UPS the WRONG CITY AND ZIP code, and my order was on it's way to another city in Ohio. I promptly emailed Smoke51 again and told them they got the address wrong and to let UPS know the correct address. They replied back the next day and said they corrected the address with UPS. That order was supposed to arrive yesterday, but lo and behold I checked UPS's website to track the order when it didn't arrive yesterday, and they said "PACKAGE UNDELIVERABLE. INCORRECT SHIPPING ADDRESS. ATTEMPTING TO LOCATE CORRECT ADDRESS, DELIVERY RESCHEDULED." Great. Awesome. Smoke51 did not correct the address as they said they did.

On a positive not though, I actually went without smoking an analog cig for 5 days until I ran out of carts (thanks to Smoke51) :)

Deficit

Moved On
Mar 2, 2009
Vienna, Ohio
I wish the review for the Magnum EAZE would get removed or updated. They are crap and NEVER last and the customer service is horrible. Too many people get burned because they watch those reviews and order based on it.

Sorry about the trouble you had...you are not alone.

Yeah the experience started off bad the moment they took a week and a half to even ship the order out. Still not as slow to ship as Smoke51 though, but slow nonetheless. I can't believe I spent $150 at ePuffer between the kit and 5 extra cartridges, with the batteries lasting only about a week and the carts only lasting about 50 puffs apiece for most of them. Never again will I order from ePuffer, and I can only hope that I can even get ahold of them to get them to honor their 1 year replacement warranty on the batteries, and I think I will also be shipping all these bad cartridges back and asking for replacements on them as well. Looks like those Smoke51 carts, when they DO finally arrive, will be sitting around for a while as I await my replacement batteries from ePuffer :(

Deficit

Moved On
Mar 2, 2009
Vienna, Ohio
Oh my goodness, actually that's not a consolation lol that's making me worried that I'll be out all this money... I will make every attempt to contact them about the issues I've had first, and if I do not hear back I will probably dispute the charges to my account made by them on the grounds of a faulty product and not honoring the warranty,

Deficit

Moved On
Mar 2, 2009
Vienna, Ohio
I'm already back on analog cigarettes because of a combination of bad experiences with both ePuffer and Smoke51, after only 1 week. I don't have a lot of money and this was a big investment for me that I made to try and kick the habit of smoking traditional cigarettes. Someone at ePuffer is going to have to do something, because now I feel like I wasted a lot of money for nothing.

Deficit

Moved On
Mar 2, 2009
Vienna, Ohio
Thanks for the tips! I really hope this can be cleared up. To be honest, after my dealings so far with them, I'd almost rather get a refund than an exchange because I'll invest that refund money into a better e-cig. I've been snooping around this forum for quite some time (today was my first post, but I've been scoping this place for a couple weeks) and found recommendations from other members that I would would think would be better options, and for cheaper! Leaford may have been one of those people who was lucky enough to get that one in a million good kit. That, or ePuffer has dramatically lowered their standards since he did his review.

I'm thinking a 901 might be a better option, and certainly more affordable in terms of initial cost and the ability to buy juice and refill, which I would think is much less expensive over time than $3 a cart and very hard to refill like the atomiser/ cart combos.

I will be trying to get that phone number - I might even search online and see if someone has posted it somewhere. They aren't going to get away with selling me garbage like that for that kind of premium.

liberty

Mar 15, 2009
I too was suckered in by the review. I'm anxious to try e-smoking. I've spent a lot of time trying to come up with the right e-cigg from a reputable dealer. I ordered from Epuffer on 2/20. When my order didn't show up after two weeks, I contacted them by email. They responded immediately saying it was back ordered. Then I sent them several emails to cancel my order and credit my account and I would reorder when they were ready to ship if I still wanted it, but they never responded. Visa tells me I have to wait 30 days before I can dispute the charges. So now I'm back in limbo trying to figure out what works and who to trust.

leaford

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 1, 2008
Shenzhen, Guangdong, China
Liberty, I am so sorry you feel suckered. ALl I can do is honestly evaluate the device in front of me. If I know about things like tons of customer service complaints, I will mention it. And I DID mention that I and others had had a few problems contacting them before for warranty service, but that they had always come through in the end. And that was all I had heard of at the time. Believe me, I had no way of anticipating an avalanche of complaints about ePuffer like this.

You know, does anyone else see a parallel here between this and the Jon Stewart/ Jim Cramer thing here? Is the Daily Show punking me? ;)

Rawd

Mar 16, 2009
I just ordered two Magnum deluxe packages today. They sent me an email stating that they were backordered. I sent in a support ticket, and they told me they would be sending out the new Magnum version 2 to me when they get their shipment at the end of the week. So far, their support staff has been good. I'll let you know how it all turns out, and I'll let you know how the new Magnum works out.

Rawd

Mar 16, 2009
So, my Magnums are on back order. When I asked why, they told me that they are waiting for the 'Magnum Rev2' to arrive at the end of the week. I asked what imporvements there were, and this is their reply..

"The major improvements were applied on the battery and the new chargers. Sometimes in April we will also release Magnum REV2 cartridges that will be easier to draw and last longer then originals.

Best Regards,

ePuffer.com | Customer Service"

Scott51

Moved On
Mar 31, 2009
  • Deleted by ZambucaLu
  • Reason: spam

invidregis

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 16, 2008
Chicago, USA
I know that Smoke51 had some supplier issues that have been considerably improved, enough so that they're offering a 51% off sale for 51 hours on all items purchased on the website, ending on Wednesday night (use discount type smoke51% in the "enter code" box and hit apply changes).

Hmmm.... Spam anyone?

Nuck

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 14, 2009
Ontario, Canada
I know that Smoke51 had some supplier issues that have been considerably improved, enough so that they're offering a 51% off sale for 51 hours on all items purchased on the website, ending on Wednesday night (use discount type smoke51% in the "enter code" box and hit apply changes).

Seriously...4 for 4 on the Smoke 51 fanboy sh.t. Give it a rest.

Edit: I just noticed your nick. Very subtle.

liberty

Mar 15, 2009
Update on my magnum. Epuffer continued to ignore my emails and after a long wait, and even though I had asked them to cancel several times, it did finally arrive. At this point I was very ...... off and as anxious as I was to get started, I refused delivery and returned it unopened. They then credited my account though I haven't seen it on my statement yet. I've since received my BLOOG and I am thrilled with it. Maybe epuffer did me a favor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread