Not open for further replies.

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
What's ramp up time and 1.6 ohms is good for 650-900 mah

"Ramp up time" is how long you have to push the button before vapor starts coming off the coil. In general-- there's a lot of maybe about this-- the smaller the ohms, the shorter the ramp up time. You should not have a safety problem with any quality manufactured eGo type battery at 1.6 to 1.8 Ohms, or even 1.2s. There are some fly-by-night operators who make eGo-type battery packs with seconds, rejects or used batteries. Some eGo type packs have safety circuitry, others do not. Sometimes it works, other times not. There's no real way to tell what you're getting without destroying the pack to look at it, if you don't buy a name brand from a reputable company, and even them a EE degree is helpful. I wouldn't worry about it, myself. That's well in the safe range. A 1.6 Ohm coil at 3.7volts-- that's pretty standard for Lithium chemistry batteries-- makes slightly over 8 Watts of power and draws slightly over 2 Amps of current. This is within the discharge capacity of even cheap batteries. Milliamphours (mAh) are more a measure of the battery capacity rather than the safe current loading. (The battery's "C" rating-- which you do not know for eGo-types-- tells you how much current you can get out of it.) A lower Ohm coil will draw more juice per puff than a higher Ohm coil, all else being equal. This will run the battery down faster. It also uses more juice per puff.

I am delighted to see a new vaper aware of and concerned with the safety issues. But with vape-pen gear, and pre-made coil heads/cartos, it's not really an issue. These cautions are really for anybody using high-power unregulated mods and seriously low Ohm coils, say below .8 Ohms. If you want some advice, I'd suggest sticking with name-brand eGo type battery packs, or move up a notch. I can heartily recommend the Innokin iTaste VV 3.0V battery pack. This is a regulated battery pack, with voltage variable up to 6V and wattage variable up to 11W. It accepts both eGo threaded tanks/cartos as well as 510 threaded tanks. It charges with a mini-USB port and you can vape while it is on charge and has a capacity of 800mAh. You can find them online under $30 usually. You can use pre-made cartos-- Innokin makes the best, IMHO-- or move up to a replaceable-head tank, which holds more juice so you fill it less often. The whole rig is not a lot bigger than your vape pen (about 5/8" square and 4" long for the battery), and only about twice the price. I am an unregulated mod vaper, used to .5 Ohm coils, and the VV battery and a Kanger Aerotank (online, about $10, several different Ohm coil heads to choose from) is what I carry in the car in case of loss, damage or flat batteries in my main rig. But quality of the gear is important for safety. It's usually worth while to pay the extra for top drawer, name brand batteries, no matter what level you vape in. It's the fly-by-night stuff that blows up in your hand. Finally, if your budget will stretch beyond $40 or so, I'd suggest an Eleaf iStick mod. They are regulated and come in 20, 30, and 50W models. I'd buy the biggest one you can afford as they can all be turned down, but not up beyond their capacity. Kanger makes good tanks-- I have a number of them-- but you might also look at an Aspire Nautilus for a large capacity-- I think they're 6ml-- 22mm tank. Just my :2c:, and happy vaping. I'm sure you'll do just fine: you've already got the important message: Safety First!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread