Kanger Subtank Vertical OCC Coils

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone else having or had flooding/leaking issues? I've been using the same tank for about 2 months without any leaking using the horizontal .5 coils got a box of .5 verticals and the gurgling and leaking commenced. Anyone experience this and if you did how did you fix it? I have no more horizontal coils and I don't want to switch to 1.2 just get horizontals.

No leaking or gurgling but had some only lasted a couple of hours(duds)....many things i guess could cause your issues orings etc...good luck sure someone here can help with your issues, at least gave u a bump :)

3 different tanks....same issue on all three. I checked to see if maybe they came out with a new airflow control in the interim of when I bought these to now. I don't see one.

underwhelmd

ECF Veteran
Nov 22, 2014
Canada
So I bought a pack of these vertical OCC coils to try. The store only had 1.2 ohm in stock so that's what I ended up with. I usually buy the .5 ohm coils of the old style but have used the old style 1.2 as well. The costs was the same as the old style. Some vendors are selling them slightly higher than the old.

First thing you notice: they are noisier on the draw than the horizontal kind. Minor gurgling on draw to start, went away soon after.
The first hour of chain vaping on this coil was taste heaven... after that, meh... it's ok, same as old style. I'm on day 5 of the same coil so it's normal to lose some flavour along the way.
I've had to increase the wattage by 4-5 watts (cloupor mini, kanger ST mini, max VG juice) to get the same vapour production as the horizontal old style. Right from vape one on this coil.

In the pic below, you can see the step down in size of the hole in the side of the coil. Apparently (correct me if wrong) the .5 does not have this restricted flow on the holes.
IMG_20150820_113408_hdr.jpg

So....worth paying more for these? Probably not. Unless they last any longer than the old style....time will tell.

NO OCC coil has ever tasted as good as using the RBA. MY OPINION. YMMV.

Last edited:

Cloudmann

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2015
North Charleston, SC
The vertical coils wick TONS better. If you're using a juice thinner than 50/50, you're likely to get flooding if you don't crank your wattage up. The coil is sucking in tons more juice and the lower wattage can't vaporize it fast enough... ergo, flooding/gurgling. Try a juice with more VG and/or more wattage.

The 1.2 and 1.5 ohm coils have juice channel restrictors to slow the juice intake to the lower powered coils. The 0.5 ohm , the upcoming 0.2 ohm coils, and the soon to be released vertical 0.15 ohm ni200 temp control coils don't have these restrictors... they're wide open for maximum juice intake.

underwhelmd

ECF Veteran
Nov 22, 2014
Canada
The 1.2 and 1.5 ohm coils have juice channel restrictors to slow the juice intake to the lower powered coils. The 0.5 ohm , the upcoming 0.2 ohm coils, and the soon to be released vertical 0.15 ohm ni200 temp control coils don't have these restrictors... they're wide open for maximum juice intake.

Thanks for clarifying that.

Reactions: Cloudmann

Gamewiz1

Mar 6, 2015
Foley, AL
Hi guys and gals, just wondering if anyone can finally clear up something for me. I've been using this type of coil now for quite a while, but I've never been definite on the difference between the 1.2 ohm and the .5ohm coils, so I just have to ask, what is the exact purpose in each. I thought I knew, when I began posting here, as it seemed that the lower the ohm, the thinning the wire, which meant that I could get more smoke quickly. If this is true, does that mean that an article I saw on a previous post on this forum was incorrect? It seemed to say that with less ohms, you needed to use more wattage, so where the person used around 22.5 watts on the .5ohm coils, they used 18.5 watts on the 1.2ohm, so this lead me to believe I had been wrong, that the higher the number, 1.2 vs the .5 meant that I needed less watts, instead of the lower ohm meant hotter coils in shorter time, with the same power. What is the definitive answer in this regard? Is it that the thinner wire produces more smoke quickly with the same watts, or is it that the lower ohms simply mean more smoke regardless, due to the thinner wire, regardless of wattage? The entire thing got me all confused all over again, when I thought I finally understood it all:)

Thanks to anyone who is able to clear this up for me, and thanks for everyone posting so much good info on this site;) It's always fun to come here to see what everyone is talking about, since it's such a nice and affordable way to ditch smoking:)

With the Kanger OCC as soon as I cranked up the wattage it started to taste a bit burnt. I got the shop to swap out 15 Vert OCC for 15 Hor OCC at .5 but I think after that I might be done with the .5 Coils if I decide to use the tank. I bought a Uwell Crown...WOW...what a dramatic difference over the Kanger. I can easily run this tank at 36W on the .5 and 40+W on the .25 coils. It doesn't leak anywhere near as bad the only think is I keep wishing it was a 7ml tank like the Subtank Plus because it will burn through some juice.

CloudZ

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 21, 2012
Minneapolis, MN
Gamewiz1

The 0.5 ohm heads use a thicker wire and 1.2 ohm heads use thinner wire. The subohm heads require more wattage to reach an adequate vapor-producing temperature. The reason why they produce more vapor is because they have more coil surface area, which is due to the thicker wire, which also requires more power to get up to temperature. Lets say the 0.5 ohm head responds quickly with warm vapor at 24 watts, the 1.2 ohm head might get too hot at this wattage and burn the juice in the wick. Lets say the 1.2 ohm coil responds quickly with warm vapor at 16 watts, the 0.5 ohm head might heat up slowly and never get hot enough to produce much vapor or flavor. Which one produces more flavor at their optimal wattage is debatable, I think they are similar. So the purpose of the subohm heads is to generate more vapor at the expense of additional power consumed. Factor in the energy lost from stepping up the voltage on a higher resistance head and the gap narrows, I think these are also fairly similar depending on your power source.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread