Kayfun V4 Parts stuck

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I was taking my PV apart to clean it and rebuild the coil, and the chimney is stuck to the atty head. It will literally not come undone.. I have even used 2 slipjoint pliers on each piece and tried to twist it off, and it refuses to budge. It was put together finger tight, but now it's like it's welded on. I even ran it all under hot hot water to try and loosen it up, but it still refuses to budge. Any suggestions would be great! Thanks!

d4gger

ECF Veteran
Nov 25, 2014
Hattiesburg, MS, USA
Not sure what you mean by chimney and atty head, but my guess is you didn't loosen the top nut.. take off the top cap (I assume this isn't the non-moving part) and you'll be looking at a nut with a bit of flanging all around and flats on opposing sides. Loosen that and the entire tank assembly is now loose.

If that wasn't it, you'll have to pull out the chart that came with it and identify the problem in terms of the part numbers, or take a picture and put some red circles to show.

VaPreis

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 5, 2013
St. Louis, MO
So I was taking my PV apart to clean it and rebuild the coil, and the chimney is stuck to the atty head. It will literally not come undone.. I have even used 2 slipjoint pliers on each piece and tried to twist it off, and it refuses to budge. It was put together finger tight, but now it's like it's welded on. I even ran it all under hot hot water to try and loosen it up, but it still refuses to budge. Any suggestions would be great! Thanks!

I believe you are speaking of the barrel that surrounds the build deck, correct?

Even if you aren't, a couple of tricks that usually work for me:

1) Try running the barrel section under hot tap water. The idea being the heat will expand the barrel ever so slightly enough to get it loose

2) Or the opposite: Stick the assembly in the freezer for 10-15 minutes and give it another try.

When trying to loosen stuck atomizer parts, a looser grip is better then grabbing it tightly. If you apply to much pressure to the barrel you could be slightly distorting it making the problem worse. I usually try to grip the parts lightly enough that they actually slip in my fingers as I try to turn them.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Someone mentioned the knurled nut under the top cap. That has to be loose to remove the sections on both sides of the glass or poly tube. To get the bottom cap off you have to loosen the center contact screw to take the pressure off the cap. If those are loose and you still can't break the threads, then wrap a strip of duct tape around the two parts and use your fingers or rubber gloves to break to threads apart.

I wouldn't resort to pliers that scratch the metal. Duct tape makes it easy. You probably aren't far from applying the pressure it needs to turn. The tape gives you a little more force before your fingers slip, but the nut or screw holding the parts together has to be loose or nothing will move.

Once it's apart, always apply a thin coat of juice on the threads to prevent further lock downs. It doesn't hurt to work the parts back and forth to wear off imperfections on the threads that cause binding. Once you break it in and polish the threads, the stuck thread problem will diminish.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread