New Member - Coil Wrapping question

Status
Not open for further replies.

adrenalinejunkie

Aug 24, 2015
Hey everyone. I just got a KangerTech subox Mini starter kit and want to start wrapping my own coils. I'm aiming for 1.5 ohms and I have my ohms reader, but have a quick question:

30g is .7 ohms/inch, which means I have to use about 2.14 inches of kanthal. Does the amount of wraps also affect the ohms outcome, or should I just use as many as that length of wire takes up and it will still be around 1.5?

Also, the guy at the store I bought my oil from recommended I use a spaced out wrap instead of a tight micro coil wrap for my setup because the kanger dry hits easily. What do you guys think?

Thanks for any help

dbrandt01

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 6, 2014
Alabama
Subtank mini only dries hit depending on your wicking I find. Check out this site you can put information in to find a build Coil wrapping | Steam Engine | free vaping calculators

Looks like as a single coil and 30g and 2.5mm diameters says 5 wraps. Hmm not what I expected haha, I don't use 30g. With that, you should have enough room to be able to do a space coil if you want to. The amount of wraps greatly affects ohms as well as the diameter of the coil.

adrenalinejunkie

Aug 24, 2015
Subtank mini only dries hit depending on your wicking I find. Check out this site you can put information in to find a build Coil wrapping | Steam Engine | free vaping calculators

Looks like as a single coil and 30g and 2.5mm diameters says 5 wraps. Hmm not what I expected haha, I don't use 30g. With that, you should have enough room to be able to do a space coil if you want to. The amount of wraps greatly affects ohms as well as the diameter of the coil.

Thanks! I just checked it out and I'll save the link. Is 2.5mm a good place to start?

dbrandt01

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 6, 2014
Alabama
Thanks! I just checked it out and I'll save the link. Is 2.5mm a good place to start?

You're welcome and I like 2.5mm diameter personally. If you went to 2.0mm it says 6 wraps instead of 5, I know 2.5mm fits in the subtank mini. It's what size I used to use when I had the tank.

adrenalinejunkie

Aug 24, 2015
You're welcome and I like 2.5mm diameter personally. If you went to 2.0mm it says 6 wraps instead of 5, I know 2.5mm fits in the subtank mini. It's what size I used to use when I had the tank.

Sounds great thanks. And the final length of wire also said 52.7mm which is about 2.1 in, so would it be better to start with the pre-cit 2.1 inch length of wire, or just wrap at 2.5mm for 5 wraps and cut the ends?

dbrandt01

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 6, 2014
Alabama
Sounds great thanks. And the final length of wire also said 52.7mm which is about 2.1 in, so would it be better to start with the pre-cit 2.1 inch length of wire, or just wrap at 2.5mm for 5 wraps and cut the ends?

I never measure specific lengths of kanthal. I usually do one or two wraps off the spool depending on what coil I'm doing.

Rich Allden

Aug 25, 2015
Hi Adrenalinejunkie
Is there a specific reason your aiming for 1.5 ohm?
I've been using the Subox starter kit for about 5 months now (I'm using it as I type but about to change to a new set-up), and I find it a superb piece of kit. I assume you are going for a single coil, I have used dual in this but it wasn't a good vape imo, so I am wondering why that ohm target.
I have been wrapping my own coils for 4 months and the only dry hit I ever got was when I forgot to top up juice! I usually use 28 gauge wire-normal or twisted depending on where my hand falls, and wrap 5 turns around a 2.0mm bit (the small blue screwdriver). Ohms come out around 0.7. When I have used a 2.5 bit I get 1.1 ohm usually and 3mm gets me 1.5ohm.
As for cutting pre-length wire, it comes with practice, but be a bit more generous at first because if its pre-cut too small you waste more throwing that bit away.
I personally prefer the 2mm builds as it fits on the deck nicer, with room to manoeuvre, wicks well and uses a bit less wire. I have tried spaced wraps a few times bit find it really fiddly to iron out any hotspots within the coil.
Also what material are you using for wicking? I use cotton pads cut to size and as I stated I never dry hit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread