Review of Aspire Atlantis, firstlook at Kangertech Subtank Mini, and a bit of a comparison so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevin Johnson

Dec 25, 2014
FL
Hello everyone, this is the first time I have attempted to review any e-cig products. I hope you'll bear with me while I make the inevitable mistakes and flubs and hopefully you will get something out of this process. I've been vaping for a few months now after smoking for 12 years. First of all, I feel better - and that went a long way toward improving my outlook on life. Second, I smelled better - and that went a long way toward improving what others thought about me. Third, I no longer had to take awkward breaks at work while my colleagues rolled their eyes in disgust - and that went a long way toward improving both my coworkers attitudes towards me (and consequently my ideas/suggestions) and my attitudes towards them. Overall, vaping has been part of a process of realizing my actual age (28) and starting to take seriously not only the health impacts of smoking, but also of many other activities I once indulged in or products I once consumed. It's been a part of my wider attempt to improve my own health and lifestyle. So here's to you, vapers!

I hope to give you guys a very honest and balance review of the Aspire Atlantis after putting it through some heavy use for a while.

First, the pros-

1. The vapor production is incredible. I say that even compared to other RDAs I've used (such as the Dark Horse). This thing is probably the easiest way to become an instant cloud-chaser. (More on that later)
2. The flavor is crisp and clear almost 100% of the time.
3. Ease of use: the Atlantis is the easiest setup of all the sub-ohm tanks that I've seen so far. Simply open the tank package, put some juice inside the coil and on the feed holes along the side (there are 4 of them and they are quite large). I recommend putting between 2-3 drops each and waiting for them to absorb before you turn and go on to the next hole.
4. The airflow. First, the air flow control ring. This thing is great; the large cyclops hole is almost too much air for me, but the second to largest cyclops is smaller and perfect. The other two smaller holes I don't use much as they tend to be too restrictive. However, the flavor and vapor combination on that penultimate slot is perfection. Secondly, the airflow holes on the coils themselves are MASSIVE. That's where most of your air comes from, folks.
5. Wattage. Depending on what you like to vape at, this could be a con. For me though, my preferred vaping level is somewhere around 25-35w. This is a LOT higher than my preferred level with the Subtank, but more on that later. The Atlantis coil says that the recommended vaping wattage is 20-30w, but you can push it quite a bit higher. I've seen reviews where others say 40w and such but I, personally, do not like vaping that high. The sweet spot for me is about 28w with the Atlantis. Also, the Atlantis runs VERY well on my Tesla Penny mech mod, but again the same cannot be said of the Subtank Mini (again, more on that later).
6. Leaking. I haven't had any leaking issues. None, zip, zilch, zero!

The Cons

1. One BIG con right up front, and maybe this is my bad luck, is the quality of Aspire's Atlantis coils. The ones it came with worked very well and I had no issues. However, the 5-pack of replacement coils I ordered from MistHub were terrible. They weren't the new OCC coils, but neither were the first two that came with the device, and they were the same generation. Three out of the five in that pack of replacement Atlantis coils were duds. All tasted like burnt rubber even after being wicked properly. The first coil I dropped a few drops on and let it sit over night and primed it - but no dice. The coil was flooded and still tasting of burnt rubber. So I decided to try and literally soak the next in a shot glass a quarter full of e-liquid for about an hour before trying it. Still tasted of burnt rubber; the next one was the same. It was not until the fourth coil in that package that I finally got it to taste right. This was a HUGE turn off, and I hope Aspire can get a handle on the quality control because that was a bad experience.
2. Packaging: There is nothing in the instructions about making sure that your device can handle firing this low, etc. I would also like to see a little card, a la the Subtanks, that instructs people to place a few drops of juice in the coil before use. Another is the cheapness of the materials. Compared to the Subtanks, it just, fells, and is made of incredibly cheap materials. Now this is more of an aesthetic issue, and that really doesn't matter to most people; the device functions very well, and so I don't believe many people will be too upset about packaging.
3. Tank capacity: I don't know how much other vapers use on an average day, but I go through about 7-8mls of e-liquid. I try to restrict the amount I vape because I enjoy premium flavors and they really are quite expensive. I vape at around 1.5mg/ml in sub-ohm setups and 3mg/ml in 1.0ohm+ setups. The fact that the Atlantis can only hold about 2ml of liquid is a con for me. For others that perhaps don't use it as much or don't mind refilling, that might not be so bad. For me, I can't really store my e-liquid in my office at work. I like to keep mine refrigerated, and I don't have a personal one. That means all the e-liquid I want for that day must fit inside the devices I'm carrying. If all I had was an Atlantis, I'd be left SOL pretty early in the day, which would suck.
4. The drip tip. Because the Atlantis's sweet spot is about 28w, the stainless steel drip tip the Atlantis comes with tends to get hot very quickly. Now, if you space out your pulls this isn't an issue, but sometimes I like to chain vape and that thing gets heated up in a serious hurry, as well as producing a lot of condensation inside the tip, causing me to have to clean it out with a paper towel multiple times a day. (Believe it or not, the Subtank Mini is actually worse in this regard.)
5. Tank style and fragility. Personally, I got a hairline crack in my Atlantis's original Pyrex tank the first day I had it. Of course this isn't Aspire's fault - my cat knocked over the mech mod the tank was sitting on and it fell onto a hardwood floor. However, I would like to see Aspire incorporate some stainless steel into their tank designs a la the Subtank Mini or the Delta II. While it makes viewing your e-liquid level super easy, it is also prone to cracking easily. I don't want to go out and spend another $10 just to purchase a sturdy replacement, ya know? While I LOVE the style of the replacement stainless steel and glass tank with the geometric designs on it, it's silly to have to purchase it separately.

TL;dr: So overall, I have to say that despite the problems I have had with the Atlantis and the bad pack of replacement coils I got, the device does what it is supposed to do and does it quite well. The flavor is outstanding for a tank (although it could be better), but the vapor production is obscene. It's a steam engine at times, especially when you've got a higher VG juice in her. The price was right for me as well, as I got it on sale from Misthub.com (a vendor I buy from regularly, although they don't *always* have the latest products or best prices). Most of the time I was using the Atlantis on either the Eleaf iStick 30w (then 50w) or Tesla Penny mech mod.

Now, onto the Subtank Mini. I've only had it two days and I can already see that there are significant differences. Firstly the fact that the Subtank comes with the RBA section, which I really love. It comes loaded with a .5ohm coil already made, along with a bag full of RBA supplies and one full of Japanese Organic Cotton. They give you an extra .5ohm RBA coil and an extra 1.2ohm stock coil. My device came with a .5ohm stock head already loaded into the tank. I have to say that I was NOT impressed the first time I fired it up, not at all. It spit in my mouth and the vape was WAY too hot. It just didn't taste right at all. The tank was leaking like crazy between the tank and the AFC ring.

I cleaned her all up, and got rid of the huge amount of juice that had gotten down beneath the coil and into the base of the AFC itself. Tip: use q-tips, the paper towel doesn't really do the job. Then I took out the .5ohm stock coil and put it away in a plastic bag (maybe I'll use it later -- it might not be totally screwed *shrug*). I read online that some people had leaking issues when using the stock coil but not when using RBA. So I made up a wick, watched a YouTube vid on how to wick up the coil, put in the RBA section and now the taste is WONDERFUL. I will say this, however. On my iStick 50w, the sweet spot on this thing is like 14w. It's SERIOUSLY low. For me...I don't know yet. The taste is beautiful, the RBA section performs like a champ. While in RBA mode the vapor production is pretty decent, the stock coil (for me anyway) didn't produce much vapor at all. I really don't care about blowing clouds, so this to me is no big deal. I'm much more of a flavor junkie.

I am still getting leaking issues near the AFC ring. I suspect I need to take it fully apart and just clean the crap out of it next time the juice gets low and the problem will likely cease. One thing I do not like is that the AFC ring is a tiny bit too difficult to turn. Sometimes I find myself accidentally turning the entire tank instead of just the ring. This is pretty minor because I don't switch between AFC settings too often, but others might have a bigger problem with it.

So first impressions of the Subtank Mini vs the Altantis in TL;dr mode:
1. Subtank has way better tank capacity, even with RBA section in.
2. Subtank has clearer flavor than Atlantis.
3. Atlantis has better vapor production than Subtank.
4. Atlantis easier to put together than Subtank.
5. Subtank somewhat leakier (so far) than Atlantis.
6. Subtank also produces more condensation and juice in the drip tip than Atlantis (although the problem exists in both products).
7. Subtank operates much better at much lower wattages than Atlantis.

Phew - that went on way longer than I intended it to. I do hope you will leave comments, or generally let me know what you think. If any of you have had the same leaking issues with the Mini - did you solve it completely? As always, a lot of this is personal/subject - many will have different experiences and opinions.

VAPE ON!

Reactions: Apoloe

Kevin Johnson

Dec 25, 2014
FL
Also, just realized what may be causing the leakage on the Mini. When I took out the pyrex glass part to clean it, I noticed that on the edges (both sides), the cut of the glass was jagged - like 1-2mm little mountains where it looks like whatever was cutting the tank got choppy instead of making a clean cut it left uneven edges. Both the original and replacement tanks have the same problem. I tried replacing all the o-rings, but still no dice. Also, the original tank it came with has already chipped just below where it meets the top of the tank. While the flavor may be amazing on the Mini, I have to say that overall I'm kinda not feeling this thing. The constant leaking and cleaning are a pain in the ... and it gets super hot at low wattages.

Kevin Johnson

Dec 25, 2014
FL
One thing I always wish reviewers did is kept coming back to the devices they reviewed to update people on how they were performing over time and how their experience changed. That's what I will try to do. For now, I don't see needing to update this again, but who knows. For now, hope this helps.

Update: After a few more days of use, I've come to a totally different conclusion about my initial judgment of the Subtank Mini after using the RBA section for a few days, and then trying the stock kangertech 1.2 ohm coil. I've been putting it through heavy use and using it as my main tank. I believe my first reactions about leaking were due to the way the tank looked. The finish makes it look wet or moisturized even when it isn't. Smudges, etc. Second, keeping the bottom section dry is a huge part of keeping the device from leaking. I make sure to clean out the AFC ring and bottom piece with q-tips and paper towels after I fill it up. Another problem I had at first was that the device fired super hot. This can be avoided simply by working up and down to find the right sweet spot. While I can't get it all the way up to 25w with the 1.2 ohm coil on it without getting a super-hot-unpleasant hit (no burning taste however). I've found that between 15w-20w is where it shines.

Note: My experience with the different wattages may simply be because I'm using an iStick 50w, which I'm pretty sure is firing PWM, and it also definitely not professionally-accurate.

While the Kangertech OCC heads do not deliver quite the same crisp, clean flavor that the Atlantis BVCs do (or the Subtank Mini's RBA section), it is still VERY good and different. One thing is I definitely prefer dessert flavors with the Subtank and fruity vapes with the Atlantis. For some reason, the different tastes complement the respective tank's styles (and different coil types). I've been vaping mostly 70/30 VG/PG out of the Subtank and 30/70 VG/PG out of the Atlantis, although I have used the higher VG juice with the Atlantis and it wicks just fine. I have to say though that, at this point, I still think the Atlantis is the most straight-forward, easy-to-use and maintain sub-ohm tank on the market at the moment. It'd be a lot nice if it had a rebuildable section, but you can't have everything.

DJ Colonel Corn

The Vapor Ninja
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
    OK.
    I'm not on any mission here, but I gotta chime in on this thread.

I inittally got an Aspire Atlantis looking to try sub-ohm'ing being fairly new to vaping.

Well, it was OK, not bad.

However I found out two things which made me quickly go get a Kanger Subtank (not a mini, and not a plus).

For starters, Aspire kinda lied when they said it was all stainless steel because it's not, it's nickel-plated brass mostly. I've personally seen the plating come off on my friend's unit.

More importantly to me, however I felt scammed by the stainless claims, was the fact that the Atlantis coils are made of silica fiber, which is dangerous to inhale when frayed into small pieces.

Seeing that the Kanger Subtank has %100 Organic Cotton coils ,even the pre-built coils are organic cotton, seeing the larger fluid capacity (6ml w/pre-made coi, 4.2ml with RBA), and also seeing how it could introduce me to RBA if i liked it, or, I could get premade coils.

Well, I tried the 0.5 ohm coil and it wasn't so nice. It also comes with a 1.2 ohm disposable coil, but haven't tried that yet.
    Anyway, I tried the RBA coil head and WOW what a great vape ! I'm using %100 Japanese cotton, and, so far, using the coils that came with, and will install the extra ones it came with eventually. It comes unwicked so I did that part for now.

My decision was motivated by all those factors and wanting to support Aspire's main competition just to make my vote.

Ill be writing a more in-depth post about all this in the apporpriate place. Look on my profile page to see the post. Forr this post, let me just show you this in case you think your Atlantis coils are cotton:

bW5AaCu.jpg
    The pic shows the Atlantis (silica) wick on left, organic cotton on right.

All the best, and happy & healthy vaping for all....​

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread