Sub ohm question?

Status
Not open for further replies.

alicewonderland

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2012
you can never go wrong at 0.5-1.0 builds. personally id just ask them to build 0.5 or higher, and the more watts/volts, the more vapor you will get. Flavor is different depending on juices, you have to di al it til you can taste it good, too little and you wont taste any, too much and itll just taste burnt, the settings vary per type of juice though so you have to mess with it a bit.

Wruff

ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2014
Vapeville, USA
Are you using a mech or regulated mod? What size wire are they using to build your coils? Do you use single or double coil? What RDA are you using? ... ...
Lots of things determine the amount of vapor and flavor besides just the Ω. You might post a pic of the build too since a coil that's not built well won't perform well no matter what the other specs are.

Last edited:

Zod

ECF Veteran
Dec 4, 2010
Salt Lake
It's not necessarily the resistance that controls flavor and vapor, it's the wattage ratio to coil surface area, air flow, design of RDA, etc.

There are SO many variables that control flavor and vapor but here are some general guidelines you can adhere to:
1. Vapor production and flavor do NOT go hand in hand. Optimal flavor is generally lower wattage than optimal vapor. As wattage increases vapor will increase but flavor will peak then burn out at higher wattages.
2. Heavier PG juices tend to produce better flavor while sacrificing vapor. Cloud chasers want to see a huge cloud but usually taste muted flavor as they stick to VG heavy juices.
3. More coils give a higher heating area giving more flavor as individual coils don't have to get as hot to produce their share of vapor. Battery life and build difficulty are the trade off. Essentially you're hitting two PVs in the heating "sweet spot" to get the extra vapor you desire but you need the added airflow to pull the extra vapor. Battery safety becomes very important as you add coils as this drops the ohms quickly.

0.2ohms is pretty low if you don't understand this fully and I would recommend against going lower. You'll throw huge clouds but annihilate battery life and sacrifice flavor. It's all a preference issue but the fact that you already question flavor tips me off that you're not satisfied with your current flavor output. Moving lower will make it worse. Buying a quad build will ramp up that flavor without generating more heat as you're more than doubling the heating area, will use coils with more wraps to prevent resistance from falling but will yield noticeably worse battery life.

You could also go with a large single coil to simplify the build and raise the resistance so you don't burn out flavor. This tends to shine on variable voltage mods that you can dial in to your tastes. I'd shoot for 0.5-0.8 ohms.

Last edited:

alicewonderland

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2012
I'm using a sigelie 100w plus 24 guage wire dual coil on a mutation xv3

yeah you wont get much flavor out of a mutation x v3. just dial up and down on your mod. start at 30 watts, vape it, then just keep going up if u want more power/vapor, thats the point of vv/vw mods. you dont really need much directions to use it just dial it up and down and vape. Just put that crap on there and vape it, its not difficult.

Zod

ECF Veteran
Dec 4, 2010
Salt Lake
The Mutation is NOT known for flavor, it's in the Dark Horse camp for OMGCLOWDS. Dial down the airflow until the vapor is slightly warm but not hot. Excessive air will prevent the juice from warming enough to produce it's optimal flavor. You likely don't even need new coils unless yours are looking shabby. Usually a cotton repack will freshen them up.

TorontoOntario

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 13, 2014
Canada
If you don't know how to build yourself and if you don't understand this aspect of vapeing I really don't think you should be doing it, its not something to jump head first into without first doing a lot of research. If you just have to stay on the RDA route I would suggest a Magma although it may be outdated I am not sure. Put a single coil .5-.8 ohm build in it and youll have your flavor.

alicewonderland

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2012
Would raising them get more smoke or less? Or how warm will the vape be? Oh and also I have a doge would the doge or the mutation be better for smoke?

put the coil on the rda. and try it. you already have the gear you say why not just do it and find out for yourself. also neither atty is better for smoke because there is no smoke.

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
So my build is at a .2 right now is going up higher or lower going to make more flavor and smoke? I don't build them the smoke shop builds it for me but I was just wondering if I were to ask them to build another coil if I should go lower or higher on the ohms thanks guys!

Using the same wire, merely adding more wraps to increase the ohms will make a cooler vape, and less fog.

Using a thinner wire, will increase the ohms.

It's not a simple matter of 'going up higher or lower'; it depends on whether you use the same wire type or not.

For a particular wire type there is a sweet spot of watts per ohm per coil.

Since you are using a regulated mod, you don't need to watch ohms so much because you can adjust your mod to suit;

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread