Making a Wick for a Sub-Ohm coil.

Status
Not open for further replies.

LEDBETTER122

ECF Veteran
Dec 19, 2013
Alabama
I wanted to get into Sub-Ohm, right now I have a Nemesis Mechanical and a Patriot RDA coming in a couple of days. I have 2 SONY US18650VTC4 30A batteries.

What convinced me I wanted to get into sub ohm was when I was at a local shop and the owner had a sub ohm Patriot and that thing was amazing. Giant clouds of vapor, it completely sold me and I had to have it.

I’ve been building coils for a while now and I know everything that involves making a coil (Multi-meter, Cotton Etc.)

When he showed me his build, it didn’t look like a normal coil and cotton I would usually build for my Kayfun or Protank. It had cotton in the well (A fair amount I may add) and it had the coils laying on the cotton (Pushed into the cotton, not strung through).

Any tips, or did this guy completely just build it wrong?

Christopherja

ECF Veteran
Aug 1, 2013
Nottingham
Having tried "cotton clouds" in RDAs, I can't say I'm a massive fan. I do love tiny coils - I nearly exclusively run smaller diameter coils (is 1.2mm a 'nano', or is it 1mm and below?) though in everything from a MiniPT2 to a Russian - but I haven't found the dripping experience any improvement over traditional wicking.

That said, a "cotton cloud" will hold more juice in the well, but I don't find it has any effect on saturation levels near the wick that would create a noticeable change in taste. That's just been my experience.

That said, if you are making coils so tiny that you literally can't feed any cotton through them - then a "cotton cloud" is a fine choice.

Ahoy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2012
Philly
Since you already have stated you understand the safety portion of sub ohm vaping and whatnot.

As others have stated that is called a 'cotton bed'. It is used with nano coils and that is really the only time to use cotton beds efficiently. On a standard micro you would be better off just feeding the cotton through the coil . I have found that a good wick to coil ratio(where the cotton is making full contact with the coil) gives the best vape. Cotton beds are nice but I don't get a consistent vape from them as I would with feeding the cotton through the coils on non nano-coil builds.

If you want to try your hand at a nano coil just keep in mind that you must have good cotton to coil contact in order to get a good vape. I like to wrap part of the bed around one of the posts (trying not to touch the leads) this ensures that the bed will not shift when I am carrying the device.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread