trying to understand ohms and sub ohm vaping

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rkdann

Aug 9, 2015
London Ontario Canada
hey every one! im still fairly new to vaping and im trying to get a better understanding of ohms and sub ohm vaping. i understand that the lower the ohms the hotter your coil gets but im just trying to figure out what exactly the difference between using a lower resistance coil of about 1.5ohm coil and sub ohming is. i only have one atomizer so far and its a sub ohm atomizer at 0.5ohms. ive been watching youtube videos about building RDAs and im just trying to get a better idea of what the difference really is.i would eventually like to learn to build my own coils but i want to make sure ive learned everything i can first. i already have another thread just about building a RDA but i wanted to make one specific to ohms. i find some people perfer sub ohm vaping and some people really hate on it so any advice or input you have on the matter is appreciated.

Thanks,

Thrasher

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2012
Madeira beach, Fla
In most cases, the thicker the wire the lower the ohm per inch.

Even with bigger coils using the heavy wire results in very low ohm coils that take a lot of power.

The bigger wire also provides more surface area touching the wick, in theory providing more vapor.

This style of subohm-ing wasnt really a thing until 50+ watt mods started popping up because now you could brute force a coil into running when using heavy wire.

Now I sub ohm on a mech. Where wire guage, amount of wire, resistance, heat flux and ramp up time are all controlled by the coil you build.
Finding a good balance provides a decent vape and ok batt life.

dsidab81

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 21, 2015
With variable wattage devices these days making a 1.0 ohm coil you can still push it to higher power levels, with appropriate airflow, wicking etc....so you don't necessarily need sub ohm for higher wattage. I may be outside of the normal, but I routinely build around 0.5 ohm and keep it below 30 watts.
For building RDA's, if you are looking at doing a single coil you will want thicker (lower gauge) wire for more surface area, but if you're building dual coils perhaps start with 26-28 gauge wire. Less wraps per coil so they will fit in an RDA, and your resistance will be halved by the second hopefully equal coil.

Reactions: Rkdann

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I like vaping normal resistance and sub-ohm, depending upon my mood. Generally speaking and in simplist terms, the hotter the coil can get the more vapor you can achieve. You'll also go through a lot more juice.

Lower Ohm Coils Will:
  • Heat The Coil Faster
  • Produce More Vapor
  • Drain The Battery Faster
  • Use E-Juice Faster
  • Produce A Warmer Tasting Vape
Higher Ohm Coils Will:
  • Heat The Coil Slower, Which Will Produce “Less” Vapor
  • Provide A “Cooler” Tasting Vape
  • Use Less E-Juice
  • Prolong Battery Life

Ohm's Law Explained For Vapors

Explain It To The Noob: Ohm's Law Calculators

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
hey every one! im still fairly new to vaping and im trying to get a better understanding of ohms and sub ohm vaping. i understand that the lower the ohms the hotter your coil gets but im just trying to figure out what exactly the difference between using a lower resistance coil of about 1.5ohm coil and sub ohming is. i only have one atomizer so far and its a sub ohm atomizer at 0.5ohms. ive been watching youtube videos about building RDAs and im just trying to get a better idea of what the difference really is.i would eventually like to learn to build my own coils but i want to make sure ive learned everything i can first. i already have another thread just about building a RDA but i wanted to make one specific to ohms. i find some people perfer sub ohm vaping and some people really hate on it so any advice or input you have on the matter is appreciated.

Thanks,

sub ohm means 'less than one ohm'.

coils that run at high power are usually low ohm coils.

DaveSignal

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2014
Maryland
The resistances are most critical when using a mech or other unregulated mod. You need to build low to get more watts out of the device. When using a regulated mod, you don't really need to build low, but a certain specific ohm range (usually pretty low) is required to reach the maximum advertised output of any regulated device.

Since it is most applicable with mechs or unregulated, here is a quick explanation of that:
Because these devices need the low resistance to make power, sub-ohm builds are necessary for most vapers. Some tootle puffers can get away with above 1 ohm though. As the build gets lower, more power is used. Multiple coils or a lower gauge wire (thicker) will require more power to work well. It helps that when adding more coils or using lower gauge wire, the resistance drops anyway because these kinds of builds make it easier for the current to flow. Just know that a multi-coil build or a build with a low gauge wire is going to be less resistance, and it needs to be because this kind of build works best with more power. But you need to be careful when doing this by making sure that you are using batteries that can support this kind of current drain.

Completely Average

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 21, 2014
Suburbs of Dallas
To understand the difference you have to understand the history of vaping.

Sobohming first started in the days where regulated mods were all low power, usually maxing out at 15W or less. These mods wouldn't even fire a coil below 1ohm. They're what are commonly known as "tootle puffer" setups now. Low power, high resistance coils, that you would take mouth to lung puffs like you were puffing on a cigarette. The only way to get more vapor production was to use an unregulated mech mod and build a subohm coil which would run a lot hotter. Since the mech mod is unregulated and has no safety circuitry to limit the power it was the only way to deliver more than 15W to your atomizer.

Today things are different though. Now we have high powered regulated mods that can go well over 100W. This has brought subohming to the masses, but in many ways it's also making subohming irrelevant. You no longer NEED to go that low in resistance to generate the same heat, you can simply turn the power up on the mod instead, and in many cases the larger coil of a 1+ohm setup can produce equal or even more vapor than the smaller subohm coil.The resistance of the coil is no longer THE most important factor. Now the surface area of the coil, the wicking, and the amount of airflow makes more difference than the coil resistance itself.

The main advantage to a subohm coil now is simply size. You can fit a smaller sized coil and wrap it in a lot of wick and fit it in a small tank easier than you can with a large coil. Vertical spaced coils which are now common in subohm tanks are both smaller and easier to feed than a large horizontal coil would be, and a large vertical coil would make the tank extremely tall. Subohm tanks can be very small and still pack quite punch, and most people want small, not some giant tank sitting on top of their mod.

Wraith504

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 25, 2014
New Orleans, LA
Keep in mind that not all of what is said in here so far is 100% because there are variations to be considered. For instance stating that a lower ohm coil needs more power to heat up as fast as a higher ohm coil is not always true. You can easily practice this yourself get any gauge wire and build a coil with the same size inner diameter(what you wrap your coil on.) Lets use 28 awg in our example. Wrap a coil with a 2mm ID 5 wraps and you have approx a .8 ohm coil, now make a 3 wrap coil and your resistance of that coil is approx .35 roughly half of the higher ohm coil. Apply 4.2 volts to both coils and you will notice that the .35 coil heats up faster and gets hotter at the same wattage/voltage applied.

Reactions: Grimwald

DaveSignal

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2014
Maryland
Keep in mind that not all of what is said in here so far is 100% because there are variations to be considered. For instance stating that a lower ohm coil needs more power to heat up as fast as a higher ohm coil is not always true. You can easily practice this yourself get any gauge wire and build a coil with the same size inner diameter(what you wrap your coil on.) Lets use 28 awg in our example. Wrap a coil with a 2mm ID 5 wraps and you have approx a .8 ohm coil, now make a 3 wrap coil and your resistance of that coil is approx .35 roughly half of the higher ohm coil. Apply 4.2 volts to both coils and you will notice that the .35 coil heats up faster and gets hotter at the same wattage/voltage applied.
I think what I said was a bit misconstrued. I was talking about wire gauges and adding coils to reduce resistance... what I meant was that taking one single coil of say, 24g 6-wraps and you will be around .42 ohm. If adding a second identical coil, you reduce the resistance to .21 ohm, and now both coils will heat up at the same speed as the single coil. But this is because twice as much power is now being used. It is also true if you take a wire of lower gauge, such as 22g 6-wrap, now this coil is going to be lower resistance and will draw more power from a mech mod. But it needs more power than something like a 28g 6-wrap, because the wire is much more massive. The 22g also has more surface area, works well with a lot of power, and will make huge clouds and a much warmer vapor.

Jimi D.

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 26, 2010
Florida Keys
20150810_192924.jpg
[/url] free upload[/IMG]
20150810_192924.jpg
[/url][/IMG]
20150810_192924.jpg

0.7 ohm of clouds galore ! Thank heavens for high wattage boxes :)

coolvapes

Jul 29, 2015
I think what I said was a bit misconstrued. I was talking about wire gauges and adding coils to reduce resistance... what I meant was that taking one single coil of say, 24g 6-wraps and you will be around .42 ohm. If adding a second identical coil, you reduce the resistance to .21 ohm, and now both coils will heat up at the same speed as the single coil. But this is because twice as much power is now being used. It is also true if you take a wire of lower gauge, such as 22g 6-wrap, now this coil is going to be lower resistance and will draw more power from a mech mod. But it needs more power than something like a 28g 6-wrap, because the wire is much more massive. The 22g also has more surface area, works well with a lot of power, and will make huge clouds and a much warmer vapor.
Yes. This

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread