2 Months of Victories & Failures

Status
Not open for further replies.
Two months ago I got my first pv - a DSE801 - and started vaping immediately. That same day I set down my analogs and patted myself on the back. Like a lot of vapers, I wasn't exactly planning to quit smoking, but I was hoping that I would. I tried to smoke an analog, but it was so nasty that I couldn't imagine going back to being a smoker. So, Victory #1!

In the weeks that followed, I ordered more stuff and got myself into a routine. How & where to vape at work, take care of my equipment, etc. Then I had a party and got drunk. I smoked a cigarette. Then another. My lungs felt like they were soaked in tar the next day. Failure #1!

Now, I was a smoker for over twenty years. I had tried to quit a number of times - mostly just cold turkey. Once, I made it over two months, just on willpower. Every time, my downfall was that drunken indiscretion - that party-smoke - and it led right back into smoking. But not this time! I steeled my resolve and vaped like a maniac. Victory #2!

All through the holidays, though, I felt my resolve slipping away. The urge to smoke was intense, even though I knew I'd feel like crap afterwards. I could tell I was coming to a dangerous showdown between e-cigs and analogs. I broke down and bought a pack of smokes. Failure #2! Instead of smoking them, I carried them around and tried to vape my way through the cravings. This was not a success.

I boosted the power of my e-juice up to 36 mg of nicotine. I bought vitamin supplements. I stocked up on 72% pure cacao chocolate bars. I avoided booze, tried to get exercise, stayed hydrated and kept a positive attitude. I visited ecf almost every day. I still broke down and smoked, but I didn't fall back into my old habits. Not a success, but I was doing better.

The latest victory I had is this: I have learned to measure my successes and recognize my failures. I'm an ex-smoker. I went from a pack-a-day to nothing, overnight. If I have a cigarette I don't agonize over it. I resist smoking, every time I have the urge. Sometimes I don't make it, but mostly I do. At this point, I have to say it's more victory than failure.

I am still surprised by the powerful urge to smoke, but I am more prepared than ever to quit, once and for all. And I owe a huge debt of thanks to you: I can't imagine having gotten this far without ECF and all the supportive vapers here. I'm gonna keep on vapin' and I'll keep on fighting.

Cheers! :D

Last edited:

sherid

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 25, 2008
USA
The mistake and reason for some failing is rather simple IMO. Although some people say they didn't mean to quit, once they get through a week or so without any cigarettes, they begin to treat this experiment as an attempt to quit smoking rather than as a preference for e cigs most of the time. They beat themselves for breaking down and having a couple or more cigs while drinking. Why? I thought the idea was that you didn't intend to quit smoking. Now, that you are in the midst of a "quit" attempt, it starts feeling more like the other times you may have tried to quit smoking. Why did you burden yourself psychologically with this? Why not just treat cigarettes as a casual commodity that you may want to indulge in sometimes? I can tell you that I started vaping a year ago, and I always make sure to allow myself 1-3 cigarettes a day: more if once in awhile I want more. The result is I have never had a craving for cigarettes and I have kept to my routine of using my e cig all day long instead of going back to smoking a pack a day as I have done for over 40 years. Telling yourself and others that you have "quit" smoking is a sure way to fail at the attempt. You set yourself up for failure when you stop treating e cigs as an alternative brand of cigarettes and treat them instead as just another NRT.

The mistake and reason for some failing is rather simple IMO. Although some people say they didn't mean to quit, once they get through a week or so without any cigarettes, they begin to treat this experiment as an attempt to quit smoking rather than as a preference for e cigs most of the time. They beat themselves for breaking down and having a couple or more cigs while drinking. Why? I thought the idea was that you didn't intend to quit smoking. Now, that you are in the midst of a "quit" attempt, it starts feeling more like the other times you may have tried to quit smoking.

You make some damn good points, Sherid. Speaking for myself, I couldn't actually commit to the idea that I was going to Quit Smoking. Not again. Every successive failure comes with a deep depression. I had to psyche myself out, just to try e-cigs in the first place.

Why did you burden yourself psychologically with this? Why not just treat cigarettes as a casual commodity that you may want to indulge in sometimes?
Well, that's kind of where I'm at now. When it was so successful, at first, and so easy to not smoke, I was elated. Now I'm moving into a more realistic situation: How can I avoid going back to being a smoker? Well, not beating myself up is part of that. I can allow myself to have an analog now and then, without going crazy.

I can tell you that I started vaping a year ago, and I always make sure to allow myself 1-3 cigarettes a day: more if once in awhile I want more. The result is I have never had a craving for cigarettes and I have kept to my routine of using my e cig all day long instead of going back to smoking a pack a day as I have done for over 40 years. Telling yourself and others that you have "quit" smoking is a sure way to fail at the attempt. You set yourself up for failure when you stop treating e cigs as an alternative brand of cigarettes and treat them instead as just another NRT.
Like I said, you make some great points. I'm still going to tell people I'm an "ex-smoker" though. It makes me feel better, if nothing else. It's an important psychological thing with me. I need to feel like I'm in control of my addictions. There are far worse things I could be doing, besides smoking.

Again, big big thanks for all the info and support. ECF is freakin' awesome.

sherid

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 25, 2008
USA
You make some damn good points, Sherid. Speaking for myself, I couldn't actually commit to the idea that I was going to Quit Smoking. Not again. Every successive failure comes with a deep depression. I had to psyche myself out, just to try e-cigs in the first place.

Well, that's kind of where I'm at now. When it was so successful, at first, and so easy to not smoke, I was elated. Now I'm moving into a more realistic situation: How can I avoid going back to being a smoker? Well, not beating myself up is part of that. I can allow myself to have an analog now and then, without going crazy.

Like I said, you make some great points. I'm still going to tell people I'm an "ex-smoker" though. It makes me feel better, if nothing else. It's an important psychological thing with me. I need to feel like I'm in control of my addictions. There are far worse things I could be doing, besides smoking.

Again, big big thanks for all the info and support. ECF is freakin' awesome.

Cigarettes have been a part of my life for a very long time now. So far, I have none of the problems that many smokers talk about. I am not wheezing, do not cough, and do not get winded; BUT I know that could change in a heartbeat. I cherish the cig I have with morning coffee, and then I just don't think about them the rest of the day. The exception is if I am having drinks, at which point only the real thing can work for me. So, I simply have the real thing. I feel that I have made great progress without even meaning to, and I have done so without fanfare and with no discomfort. I still identify myself as a smoker because I DESPISE anti smokers and want to give them absolutely no misguided belief that they have caused me to stop smoking.

CaptJay

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2010
A Brit, abroad, (USA)
Preaching to the converted here Butch - I say the same thing to new PVers myself.
If you have a cig then, ok, yo had one, its not the end of the world - you had ONE you didnt have 20 and you didn't smoke them for another 20 years.
It's like dieting - if you eat a piece of chocolate whilst on a diet many people agonise over it, feel a total failure instead of just feeling 'well I had a piece of chocolate'. If I were to diet I wouldn't deprive myself of anything - but I would have the option NOT to eat it. To my mind, its the same with using a PV.
I have cigs in the house - yesterday I chose not to have any of them. The preceeding few days I chose to have a maximum of 2. They don't taste as good as my PV does and I prefer it. If I get to day when I CHOOSE to have a cig, then i will. It doesn't equal failure in my mind, it merely equals the day 'when i chose to have one'.
I didn't start using a PV to quit - I started using one as an alternative - perhaps my mindset is different from other peoples, I really don't know, but I do think it's somewhat healthier insomuch as that I don't worry about the odd one or 2, (or none) and it therefore has no power over me :)

Oddgirl

ECF Veteran
Jun 17, 2009
When I started vaping, it was because I wanted more nicotine, not because I had any intention of quitting. So I could "smoke" in a restaurant or at work. So I never deprived myself of a cigarette. But after a couple of weeks or maybe a month, the cigs started tasting really bad. Then, I didn't want to stink up my house. Then, I didn't want to stink up my car. Then, I'd wash my hair and didn't want to ruin the good smell of the shampoo. It's sort of an osmosis thing. You don't tell yourself you can't smoke. It just sort of happens. After a while, you prefer vaping over smoking, simply because it tastes better and is more satisfying. And then you just realize -- hey, I don't smoke anymore! Wow - Imagine that! So, don't beat yourself up over this. Do whatever you want to do. Make sure you have a reliable, powerful PV (5 or 6V mod), plenty of batteries and chargers and a good supply juice you really like. Then, don't be surprised if someday you say, "Hey, I quit smoking! Wow - Imagine that!"

ozrick

ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2009
Chicago, IL
Hubby and I have both resigned ourselves to the fact that we enjoy cigarettes. We vape the majority of the time but if we're out drinking we'll have a few analogs. It's not the end of the world, simply being around those who smoke tends to trigger it. We don't buy cigarettes normally though sometimes we get a pack when we go out to a bar just so we don't have to bum them from our poor friends and dump the remainder of the pack before we come home.

I did not want to quit smoking, I wanted an alternative to it. We found that but the real deal is attactive sometimes. Granted I hate the smell and the taste, so I'm not sure what it is. Realistic goals for us are, we smoke less than we did- alot less! We both went about 3-4 months without one when we started vaping as well. Now we have the occasional smoke, no big deal :)

What a really interesting and nice thread!
I'm the same and struggling a bit too; just back on this forum to research buying my 3rd PV in the hope that this one will do it for me.

I love smoking but don't want to be stupid enough to die smoking anologs and I hate being a smoking mum(!!!). These things are a godsend so I'm going to keep on trying.... to get the right PV and juice for me so that I can cut down and maybe eventually quit anologs....but no beating myself up if I can't do straight away or even ever, as long as some (a lot!) of my 40 a day habit reduces :)

Just curious about the opening post; do you live with an analog smoker? I wonder if half my battle is my hardened die hard analog smoker?

Good luck either way :)

Raven1

ECF Veteran
Nov 24, 2009
Akron, OH USA
The mistake and reason for some failing is rather simple IMO. Although some people say they didn't mean to quit, once they get through a week or so without any cigarettes, they begin to treat this experiment as an attempt to quit smoking rather than as a preference for e cigs most of the time. They beat themselves for breaking down and having a couple or more cigs while drinking. Why? I thought the idea was that you didn't intend to quit smoking. Now, that you are in the midst of a "quit" attempt, it starts feeling more like the other times you may have tried to quit smoking. Why did you burden yourself psychologically with this? Why not just treat cigarettes as a casual commodity that you may want to indulge in sometimes? I can tell you that I started vaping a year ago, and I always make sure to allow myself 1-3 cigarettes a day: more if once in awhile I want more. The result is I have never had a craving for cigarettes and I have kept to my routine of using my e cig all day long instead of going back to smoking a pack a day as I have done for over 40 years. Telling yourself and others that you have "quit" smoking is a sure way to fail at the attempt. You set yourself up for failure when you stop treating e cigs as an alternative brand of cigarettes and treat them instead as just another NRT.

Well said and I do the same as you. Usually have 2, maybe 3 analogues a day still and don't beat myself up about it. If I get to the point eventually of giving them up entirely, great. That is my goal. If I don't achieve that goal at least I'm not harming my lungs as much as I used to when I smoked a three-qtr. pack a day.

Last edited:
What a really interesting and nice thread!
I'm the same and struggling a bit too; just back on this forum to research buying my 3rd PV in the hope that this one will do it for me.

I love smoking but don't want to be stupid enough to die smoking anologs and I hate being a smoking mum(!!!). These things are a godsend so I'm going to keep on trying.... to get the right PV and juice for me so that I can cut down and maybe eventually quit anologs....but no beating myself up if I can't do straight away or even ever, as long as some (a lot!) of my 40 a day habit reduces :)

Just curious about the opening post; do you live with an analog smoker? I wonder if half my battle is my hardened die hard analog smoker?

Good luck either way :)

I'm the only smoker in my house, thankfully, but most (all?) of my friends smoke. Some of them have tried e-cigs, but none take it seriously. Since we can't smoke in bars around here, I hope I can make them jealous with my vaping - enough to recruit a couple maybe...

Good luck with your 3rd try! Who knows? With a little luck you may even win over your die hard analog smoker too!

Cheers!

mvc

Jan 26, 2010
Canada
Pretty much same for me - tried it, went down from 1.5 packs/day to 2-3 per day, then thinking that 8mg cartomizer are same as 8Mg MB red, total failure - went back to analogues for almost a month - till I got my 18mg juice with 5 flavors.
Since I got these, today is my 4th day with 0 analogues, its not easy but I figured if I keep getting a few analogues from time to time I will never be able to quit completely or maybe go back to them again...
Well, trial and error is the way to learn... wishing you luck and hope I can continue the same way... :rolleyes:

Switched

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2010
Dartmouth, NS Canada

leaford

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 1, 2008
Shenzhen, Guangdong, China
For the first 20 months or so after I started vaping, I didn't touch one single cigarette. But since coming here to China I found myself being offered cigarettes a lot. In meetings, on social occasions, at the bar with new friends, etc. At first I was stubborn about it as a point of pride. But now I will accept one now and then. I still look at the 1-3 packs a day I am not having as a major victory, and a few cigarettes here or there that I accept are nothing compared to that.

E-cigs are an alternative, it doesn't have to be all about total abstinence. We're all addicts, and studies show that for the majority of us that will never change. Enjoy and feel proud of the real victories, and don't worry about illusionary failures. ;)

For the first 20 months or so after I started vaping, I didn't touch one single cigarette. But since coming here to China I found myself being offered cigarettes a lot. In meetings, on social occasions, at the bar with new friends, etc. At first I was stubborn about it as a point of pride. But now I will accept one now and then. I still look at the 1-3 packs a day I am not having as a major victory, and a few cigarettes here or there that I accept are nothing compared to that.

I know different cultures have different values/protocols when it comes to cigarettes, but that's kind of a surprise. Is non-smoking that rare? I'm curious as to the reactions your pvs get.

E-cigs are an alternative, it doesn't have to be all about total abstinence. We're all addicts, and studies show that for the majority of us that will never change. Enjoy and feel proud of the real victories, and don't worry about illusionary failures. ;)

Well said, man! Whenever I feel down about my 'analog transgressions', I just look at my personal statistics. I'm only 85 days into this and I've already saved a ton of money and avoided countless cigarettes. Like I said before, it's more victory than failure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread