5v box mod question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Worldgod

ECF Veteran
Mar 31, 2011
Spokane
Thanks Breaktru. Nice little tut.
So it looks like I would need a 10uf capacitor and a 480ohm resistor and a regualtor such as LDO 5 volt, 3.0 amp regulator with control pin! with the control pin. Not sure I understand why the resistor is needed bewtween control pin and ground. If anyonecan explain in noob terms I would appreciate it :) Also the capacitor helps "smooth out" the output current correct?

phoenixfire

ECF Veteran
Mar 3, 2011
Southeast Mo.
The resistor from the control pin to gnd is used to set the voltage output to 5.0 volts.

Actually the resistor is called a "pull down resistor". it connects the control pin to ground when the switch is off to ensure that the regulator shuts off and is not turned on by static or other stray voltages. The regulator is set to 5v internaly, this is the only voltage that it will put out.The capacitor is not absolutely required but helps, a good idea to use it even though it is not included.

Last edited:

tsbrewers

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 15, 2010
MN
www.facebook.com
Actually the resistor is called a "pull down resistor". it connects the control pin to ground when the switch is off to ensure that the regulator shuts off and is not turned on by static or other stray voltages. The regulator is set to 5v internaly, this is the only voltage that it will put out.The capacitor is not absolutely required but helps, a good idea to use it even though it is not included.

Ok, quick question, I just received this kit and was starting to put it together. But had a couple questions. I got 2 resistors in my kit, one larger than the other. I am wondering which goes to LED and which goes on board? I am just guessing the smaller one will go to LED? Larger (more watt?) on the board?

Next, as mentioned above, it does not come with a cap, how important is it? Should I worry about picking one up? Thanks,

Brew

Worldgod

ECF Veteran
Mar 31, 2011
Spokane
I believe that the resistors are the same (looks that way on the site). I did not buy the kit. I did use a 470ohm resistor and that is the same one that comes with the leds they sell. Take a look at the rings...if they are the same colors then they are the same. The rings will tell you what ohm they are (have to google that I am not sure what they actualy mean) or you can check the resistance if you have a multimeter. Good luck with your build and let us know how it turns out. I am using mine as we speak (type) :)

--WG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread