Status
Not open for further replies.

pbusardo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 30, 2009
Cape Coral, FL
A PBusardo Review – V-Max – All About Vapor

Sorry I couldn’t put this up on YouTube gang. There is a bug in YouTube affecting many users preventing them (and me) from uploading vids longer than 15 minutes. As soon as they’ve resolved the issue, I’ll put it up there as well.

Taste Your Juice | THE V-MAX BY SMOKTECH

440BB

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 19, 2011
The Motor City
Thanks for a thorough look at this mod Phil! Looks like it's going to be a serious competitor in the upper range of the VV marketplace. I appreciate the time you took using it before the review and the time it takes to put a review together. I'm stalking the mailman a little more (if that's possible) waiting for mine!

fuzzione

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 11, 2012
GTA Ontario
Fine review Phil. Yet another use for duct tape!

I've read that some vmax units in the first shipments may have had problems with the correct voltage being delivered. Something about an issue with the button as well, which may also track with your findings of a 'floating rattly seating'. Apparently Smoktech has since addressed these issues on subsequent shipments, having dubbed the improved units v1.1. I can't confirm the accuracy of all this as it's just 'stuff on the net' but it may be worthwhile to have another look at a more recently shipped example. Would be nice if the strangely calibrated power delivery was sorted, lest the low-ohm atty coil graveyard fill up too quickly.

Last edited:

donnah

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2010
Albemarle, North Carolina
Just watched review. Ive heard this apv described as a "monster " and a "beast " now I understand why. The voltage calibrations are wrong. Or maybe smoktech wants 3v to feel like 4.2v and it's not wrong. If I set a device to 3v I want it to feel like 3v. I can see why this might appeal to many but also not appeal to many.

As far as the device resetting to 5v every time the batt is changed...don't like that..even if they do revise the voltage calibration, I foresee a lot off popped attys and
Burnt cartos with the starting voltage that high. I also see people becoming confused as to why voltage on this device doesn't feel like the voltage on their other devices.

I hate to even mention the menu but it truly not only looks complicated but a hassle to get to what you want to see or change. I know that non- provari owners think that it's one button menu looks complicated and it's really not. So maybe the vmax menu only just looks complicated.

With all that said, I can see where this device will still get a lot of fans. If the voltage was really miscalibrated and will be recalibrated in future models, I'm sure many will still want the first models to get that "beastly vape " Many will consider the higher voltage issue a plus rather than a negative.

It still all comes down to customer service, All devices can and will eventually malfunction and are only as good as the company that is willing to repair them. If the vmax needs repair is it sent back to the vendor it was bought from or would it need to be sent back to the company that manufactured it? That's what's scary..no one knows who will still be in business this time next year. Ive seen a company shut down and the device owners left hanging. But that's a whole other topic.

Great review Phil!

Last edited:

martinc

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 12, 2011
Montreal,Quebec,Canada
I am very happy with my Vmax so far;

Been owning it for 4 days now and it has yet to leave my hands.

I figured out the voltage displayed vs mega hit (using it at 3.2-3.4) the 1st day and its fine with me.

I dont mind the button either,mine is not that rattly anyways.

The menu was puzzling at 1st being that its my 1st adjustable VV with a display but after checking a couple reviews,its easy to go through.

And oh,its up to the vendors to place a downloadable pdf of printable doc for the instructions;odd but heh.

As for the build construction (supposedly brass/copper) I have seen none of those 2 metals so far,looks like thick alum to me.

John D in CT

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 27, 2012
Connecticut
The Vmax looks brilliant, but it´s life span is about 3 weeks.

Your button broke after three weeks. That does not mean that the life span of all VMax's is 3 weeks.

DO NOT buy a vmax it is a total waste of money.

You had a bad experience. You're entitled to your opinion that your experience will prove to be universal, but I think that's a flawed assumption. Tell people what happened to yours, fine.

I was very impressed with the build quality of it, but fact is the button will cutt out and fail in less then 3 weeks.

The only fact I see is that your button broke after three weeks. Please see above.

and it is not fixable.

I think the warranty period on the VMax is longer than 3 weeks. A year, isn't it?

Stay away from it, just a good advice from DK.

Consider this person's experience and decide for yourself if you think it will happen to all VMax's. Just a good advice from CT, USA.

In case you didn't see it, and because I think it is on-topic, I want to post this here:

From the "big VMax thread": http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...e-voltage-device-smoktech-62.html#post6039517

Lessup -

Having a problem here, and wondering if you can help me out. Just a couple of things that don't sufficiently satisfy my curiosity. Here's the source of my dissatisfaction:

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...ech-vmax-price-point-wrong-3.html#post6036182

I got two straight from the factory.

1 was sold, the other one died within 3 weeks.

Major button malfunction, it just would not fire or click.

it gradually got harder to activate the button over the weekend and yesterday it just went.. cya later ....ers!

and now i have got a nice $128 wall decoration that i don´t even think is that nice anyway.

Some civil, yet pointed questions:

How did you "get two from the factory", when the minimum order is 50. If they were for evaluation purposes, do you know that they are the exact same as what is being shipped out now? And what color/finish are they, please?

If you got them from the factory, can you understand my confusion when you refer to it as a "$128 dollar decoration?" And would you be willing to eliminate that confusion by emailing me a copy of any paperwork you might have on the transaction?

And lastly, if you didn't have a complaint about the button, would you really be of the opinion "i dont even think is that nice anyway?" I think that almost all of us with still-functioning buttons, and Phil Busardo himself, seem to think that it's at least "pretty nice".

Lastly, I would like to buy your broken VMax from you. Please email me with a price for your wall art, including shipping to Connecticut, USA, zip code 06070. Do you take Paypal?

TIA for your help and consideration.

Last edited:

John D in CT

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 27, 2012
Connecticut
I really don't even see how there's a market for it, you can get a Provari for ~$30 more.

Because it might just be every bit as good as a ProVari in quality and performance, and might arguably outperform it in certain cases. Those limited cases are IMO powering low resistance attys when more amps are drawn than the ProVari can handle, and powering certain high resistance attys with more watts than the ProVari can.

So where are you from?? Fanboy, Washington? Oh, no, it's "Amboy", Washington. OK ... well, understandable mistake.

Last edited:

AaronY

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 26, 2011
Santa Monica
The Vmax looks brilliant, but it´s life span is about 3 weeks.

DO NOT buy a vmax it is a total waste of money.

I was very impressed with the build quality of it, but fact is the button will cutt out and fail in less then 3 weeks.

and it is not fixable.

Stay away from it, just a good advice from DK.
Is that from the frist run buttons that where strange or all buttons? Does the warrantee not cover the button? Is there any mod as or more powerful then this that you can recommend?

caged

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 13, 2010
Laurel, MD
Why are compare it to a mod that is half as powerful. I don't get it. Just people trying to justify why they wasted there money? or is there something more?

What is half as powerful to what?

It looks like the V Max still needs tweaking (price, calibration, etc.). I can see the potential but for a few dollars more I'd rather have a what you set is what you get device that remembers its settings and for a few dollars less a well regulated VV mod with a simple dial that barely drops its voltage under load.

The fact that it's so poorly calibrated seems typical of Smoktech. They put products on the market without testing them. Look at the latest dual coil carto fiasco. They have a ton of potential but they need to invest in quality control.

John D in CT

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 27, 2012
Connecticut
Why are compare it to a mod that is half as powerful. I don't get it.

What is half as powerful to what?

It looks like the V Max still needs tweaking (price, calibration, etc.). I can see the potential but for a few dollars more I'd rather have a what you set is what you get device that remembers its settings and for a few dollars less a well regulated VV mod with a simple dial that barely drops its voltage under load.

The fact that it's so poorly calibrated seems typical of Smoktech. They put products on the market without testing them. Look at the latest dual coil carto fiasco. They have a ton of potential but they need to invest in quality control.

I agree that "half as powerful" isn't an ideal way to express what I think was the basic sentiment that the VMax uses two x 3.7 volt batteries, but even at that, 2 - 18350 X 700mah gives the VMax less raw energy storage capacity than the ProVari whether it uses an 18490 or and 18650 w/extension cap. Looking forward to seeing higher-capacity 18350's, like maybe a 1200mah, which seems entirely do-able with current (no pun intended) technology.

"Half the power"? Cutting to the chase - that's a foul ball.

Does the VMax "need tweaking" of its voltage readout? No, I don't think it needs tweaking. I do not give a crap about how "3.5 volts" on a VMax compares to "3.5 volts" on anything else. As I've said before, if I had a high-performance car with a speedometer that's way off, and no speed limit, I would give an equal amount of crap.

Does Smoktech need to get their excrement straight in a lot of ways? Absolutely. The ongoing fiascos with the e-Power switches (all four or five re-inventions of them, one of which you couldn't use on resistances under 2.0 (??????) ), the sticking button reputation of the otherwise very capable "Woo" (using mine right now, my button is fine), and the "stinky carto" debacle come to mind. And I was about to say "at least they didn't screw up the DCT tank", but they did. The recesses on the bottom cap that are supposed to engage with the flange on flanged cartos is so poorly designed that it hardly engages at all, making it often very difficult to remove the tank. Dumb, dumb, dumb. (Do I sound like a "Smoktech Fanboy"? I don't think so. Still a "big fan"? Absolutely). "They put products on the market without testing them" is an exaggeration, put has a strong element of reality in it that the Smoktech people should take a hard look at.

Lastly: "I can see the potential but for a few dollars more I'd rather have a what you set is what you get device that remembers its settings and for a few dollars less a well regulated VV mod with a simple dial that barely drops its voltage under load".

I disagree with the implied sentiment that the Vmax has an inordinate amount of voltage drop under load, and would like to point out that IMO what might be perceived as a major flaw by some that the volts you see on the readout don't relate very well to ther devices, and that low-resistance single coils might even be impossible to power at "low enough" wattages, that the vaping gods give back by allowing a VMax user to rock very high-resistance coils like a ProVari simply can't. Disagree with that, and you disagree that the VMax doesn't put out more actual voltage than what the LED says you are. (In other words, "it goes up to 11", but in a real way, not just a "Spinal Tap" way.

(And just curious; caged, do you own a ProVari?)

Last edited:

caged

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 13, 2010
Laurel, MD
(And just curious; caged, do you own a ProVari?)

No, I have an Infinity Pro (just received it on Friday). It seemed like the price/performance king to me and after a few initial hiccups, it's starting to really impress me.

And yes, I have a hard time trusting Smoktech due to my experience with the E-Power (cheap paint job, two bad switches, and boxes of dual coil cartos I couldn't use after I had to buy the second switch).

Obviously, our wants are different, but I want to point out that once/if they calibrate the voltage to fall in line with the status quo, the voltage drop off may become an issue. I think it's also a sign of good engineering and components to have little drop off under load. I think the Provari has circuitry that monitors and boosts as necessary and the Infinity Pro just has quality old school components -- the internal wires it uses are massive. In the PBusardo IPro review, the unit barely lost any voltage under load.

John D in CT

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 27, 2012
Connecticut
While you guys enjoy your pissing contest,ima continue enjoying my Vmax as I dont REALLY give a crap if its this or that...I like it.

Oh and price has nothing to do with anything.

Edit: I have a 3 digit meter,nee-nerr-nee-nerr

I've been in pissing contests before, and this is more like a quilting circle! :) I think caged and I have been very, very good really.

Not so sure that the VMax would have any problematic voltage drop if they reprogrammed their PWM, and like martinc, I like my Black Beast just the way it is, warts and all. Gives it "character". :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread