Status
Not open for further replies.

meatsneakers

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 3, 2011
NYC
Hey everyone,

I've been vaping unflavored 24mg nic juice with 6 drops/30ml menthol for over a year now (after using a bunch of different flavors, I always found less and less flavoring to be more enjoyable) and would like improve a few things with your advice.

I've used a bunch of vendors for unflavored and have settled on MFS for the TH and vapor production. The only downside is that their base has a pretty apparent odor and taste when unflavored, which has been starting to bother me. The solution would be to add a small bit of flavor, but then the MFS taste is replaced by a hint of whatever I'm mixing in. Is there a way to mask that 'fishy' taste that most bases have without imparting any flavor? A combination of dryness and neutral taste would be an ideal vape but I have no clue how to achieve that so I come to you DIY experts :)

Last edited:

SupplyDaddy

I'm considered a Mad Scientist in some circles!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
I have 2 different batches from MFS, one 24mg (50/50), the other 36mg(25 PG/75 VG). I have vaped the 24mg straight and did not notice a "fishy" taste. Anything you add may change the flavor, no matter the amount, even menthol.

It may sound strange, but try a single drop of apple cider vinegar in a 10ml bottle of the juice. I have never been able to taste the vinegar, and it might make enough difference to help you.

meatsneakers

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 3, 2011
NYC
Just gave it a shot and it has indeed mellowed out the sharpness of that odor, especially on the inhale. Still a good amount when I exhale but it's an improvement, thanks.

It's definitely been straight from an freshly uncapped bottle every time I've ordered - totaling 4 or 5 orders of 250ml all VG, both 24mg and 36mg, the 36mg being worse. It also gets worse the older the bottle is. It's not offensive fresh but it gets worse when it starts aging. Nothing gag-inducing but it's noticeable and off putting, especially when you vape it for weeks. It's sort of like a flavor that just doesn't do it for you anymore, except I have nothing else to reduce :)

Tried RTS a while back and it had very little odor new, but it started to stink after a few weeks in a less 'pleasant' way. VZ was very clean but the TH wasn't as good at MFS.

r77r7r

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes

~Sue~Feb2012

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 10, 2012
    USA
    I'm down to 2 vendors that I'm going to try in higher mg nic bases. Wizard's and MFS has no smell or flavor in the 24 and 36mg nic that I've tried. I'm going to order 60mg from both places soon and compare them. I hated the smell from RTS that I had tried many months ago, which was in the 48, 60 and 1000 mg nic strengths. Even after being diluted with straight VG down to 10 mg nic, all theirs smelled like vomit (you say "fishy", but probably similar) and I ended up throwing them all out.
    I've tried adding a drop of vinegar to some of my 10 ml bottles of DIY tobacco vapes as an experiment and it does mellow the flavor and seems to stop the darkening (oxidizing?aging?) effect of the nicotine that usually happens without vinegar.

Edit: I'm thinking the nic bases that have good throat hit have more tobacco by-products (not sure of the technical terms) in the base, whereas the ones that are clear and odorless have been more purified and would then have less throat hit. I'm more fond of the "not having taste or odor,'... I just want the nicotine buzz LOL

Last edited:

Cyrus Vap

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 8, 2011
    Bay Area, California
    http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/diy-e-liquid/298547-nicotine-comparisons.html

I'm a long term unflavored vaper and can't vape Anything with even a slight taste. VZ is Great stuff.

Good read here. MFS are good people, but I found that both they and RTS cannot put out a consistently good product. RTS has since added another step to their process, but I haven't tried it.

I've recently gone to Wizard myself.

Meat:

That guy cyrus is a real jerk but I everyone else in the thread is awesome ;)

Post 63-65 has the larger comparison posts.

and yeah I dig the vinegar trick above for the more fishy nics, seems to take the edge off and plays nice with menthol

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread