Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sparkler24

Jun 9, 2015
hi guys I just started vapping with istick30w then got 80w xpro plus . Finally got mech mod don't kno witch forgot name lol will show picture and just got ohm reader thing my question is how low ohms can I go ? My vape ain't really vapping as much clouds as I would like I got a tugboat clone on it . I don't kno much about mechs but any advice would be helpful I'm trying post pics but isn't letting ting me

State O' Flux

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2013
Seattle
Finally got mech mod don't kno witch forgot name lol will show picture and just got ohm reader thing my question is how low ohms can I go ?
My vape ain't really vapping as much clouds as I would like I got a tugboat clone on it . I don't kno much about mechs but any advice would be helpful I'm trying post pics but isn't letting ting me
Welcome to ECF, 24...

When you can tell or show us the exact mod, battery, atty, Ohm meter and wire you have on hand.... then we can provide a safe recommendation.

In the mean time, click the two sigline hyperlinks below... and start reading. You'll learn a lot about battery safety, and coil building.

Sparkler24

Jun 9, 2015
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg There's way I got it's a tugboat clone tho. And when I put that top on my ohm reader I just got it doesn't do anything could it be my batteries in the ohm reader ? Cuz their not full chargerd AA IN THEM

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    930.1 KB · Views: 32

DingerCPA

Vaping Mistress
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2014
Corn 'n' Cows
+1 on Flux's info link. Do become familiar with Ohm's law and make sure you have a good ohm reader. With regulated mods, too low of a build just won't fire. On a mech, you don't have that protection. Don't have to go all that low with ohms to get great clouds. So many factors - airflow, resistance, heat, VG, etc. 0.05ohms doesn't mean you're going to get clouds.

Susan~S

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 12, 2014
Mpls/St.Paul, MN
In looking at the picture of your battery it looks like it is a Samsung 25R - 20A battery.

Everyone is free to set their own parameters (with regards to headroom), and I can only say what mine are.

I try to never exceed 50% of the CDR (continuous discharge rating) of a fully charged battery (4.2v). So with a 20A battery, that would be 10A. This Ohm's Law Calculator tells me that a .4 ohm build is as low as I would want to use.

The reason that I place a 50% limit is because as a battery ages the mAh of the battery degrades, as the mAh degrades so does the batteries c rating (amp limit). So down the road, a 20A battery may only be a 10A battery.

=======

I highly recommend you spend some time with @Baditude (one of our resident battery/safety experts) and visit his blogs. You are now 100% in control of your own safety (and others around you).

Baditude's Blog - Table of Contents: The blogs that address battery safety, Ohm's Law, CDR (continuous discharge rating/Amps) and how they all work together are detailed below:

BATTERIES

Battery Basics for Mods: IMR or Protected ICR?
* Another essential read to understand which batteries are safe to use in mechanical and regulated mods. Includes a frequently updated list of recommended safe-chemistry, high-drain batteries with their specifications.

Purple Efest Batteries not as Advertised
* A cautionary blog that reveals that the purple Efest batteries may not have the specifications advertised. Also includes a commentary on "continuous discharge ratings" vs "pulse discharge ratings" of battery specs.

OHM'S LAW

Ohm's Law for Dummies (Vapers)
* My attempt at explaining Ohm's Law in layman terms and how it relates to vaping.

Explain it to the Dumb Noob: Ohm's Law Calculations
* As simple as it is to use, some people have a tough time grasping the concept. Warning: Includes graphic photos of mod explosions.

BATTERIES - WHERE TO BUY

Only buy batteries from a reputable supplier (not ebay or Amazon) as there are many counterfeit batteries being sold. Here are several reputable battery suppliers in the US.

* RTD Vapor
* Illumination Supply
* Lighthound
* Orbtronics

Hitcat44

mere Pawn in Game of Life
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 9, 2015
Ft. Vape-WKY
I usually run @ a dual coil setup using 26 GA built at @ .45 ohm (a 5/6 wrap) on a dual 18650 Box Mod wired in parallel. With 2 fairly new Batteries assuming an average Voltage availability of @ 4 Volts, that yields about an 8 Amp constant draw.
Agree with trying to stay right at 50% of the Max Draw Rating.
If you are having trouble getting a good read and acceptable Fire, I'd say you need to either adjust the Pin downward (extend the Pos Center Pin) on your RDA (if yours has an adjustable Pin) or the Clone itself is defective and/or is somehow jumping power.
If you can't get a good read and you are sure the Meter is functioning correctly and sure the Center Pos Pin is making good contact,,, I would exchange or trash the RDA.
Safety First and foremost.
When in doubt-just say NO.

kartoffelfaust

ECF Veteran
Feb 1, 2015
USA
My mech takes forever to like heat up for a hit is that normal or is it my batterie it even happens on full charge

No, that's not normal. Could be a variety of things. Use a regulated mod. Much safer until you figure out and understand all of the info provided earlier in the thread. You're playing with fire if you are using an unregulated mech, cannot test ohms, and cannot troubleshoot.

Get an idea of what the resistance is on a regulated device. Get an idea of what wattage makes it work best. On a mech, you cannot adjust anything but the resistance, which means you need to understand exactly what you are doing. On a regulated, you have much more leeway, and can do things in a much safer fashion.

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
hi guys I just started vapping with istick30w then got 80w xpro plus . Finally got mech mod don't kno witch forgot name lol will show picture and just got ohm reader thing my question is how low ohms can I go ? My vape ain't really vapping as much clouds as I would like I got a tugboat clone on it . I don't kno much about mechs but any advice would be helpful I'm trying post pics but isn't letting ting me

Use the regulated mods.
If you build coils that work fine on your regulated mods when the mod is set for 3.7 volts, then those builds will work fine on your mech.

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
And when I went to my local vape shop to get my ohm reader I showed him my batterie and he said don't go under 2 ohms does he mean 2 or .2

2 ohms is like a standard value for coil ohms; quite suitable to new vapers.
I have a 2.6 ohm 30 gauge coil in my heavytaste modtank.
Got a 2.9 ohm 30 gauge on a veritas rda plugged in by my bed;
the aris/manta that I'm vaping right now measures out to 1.2 ohms because it has two 2.4 ohm 30 gauge coils in it.

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Okay then what does lower ohms do ?? And wat does pg/vg when buying juice ? And how do I check resistance sorry for all questions lol thanks for quick good answers and I can't see his link anywhere might be cuz I'm on phone

1: wire gauge (thickness) is more important than ohm really;
thicker wire needs more power to heat up.
2: pg is lighter, and wicks faster; vg gives more cloud
3: there's usually a way to check ohms on your regulated mod.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread