After changing coil burnt taste. Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

joey1212

Feb 28, 2018
Hey there,

So I got my smok Mag Kit a few weeks ago and today decided to change my coil because the old one was tasting a bit burnt. Im new to this so I'm pretty sure I did it right but who knows. I took the top of and put the new coil. The old coil was a .45ohm which I was using at 70 watts. This new one is a .12 which I was using at 80. I put juice on the top and the sides to prime the coil and then let it sit for about 30 minutes. Now whenever I drag its super hard to and it burns my throat and I have no flavor. The tank also gets incredibly hot. Please help, what did I do?

Storm52

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 27, 2014
Shreveport, LA
Start with obvious. Air flow control open? Without hitting the fire button, can you take a pull/drag easily? Is the coil properly seated and not cross threaded? Dial the wattage down to say 50 watts and go up from there.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
What do you mean cross threaded? Sorry if its a stupid question.
Cross threaded is when you attempt to screw something into something else, and you inadvertingly screw it in at a slight angle instead of perfectly straight -- that is "cross threaded". Screws, "attachments" and "connectors" have threads, those little rings that go around a post. Male threads must match up with the female threads.

images

There are no stupid questions. Only stupid answers.

Attachments

• upload_2018-2-28_16-42-27.jpeg
    upload_2018-2-28_16-42-27.jpeg
    3 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
Hey there,
So I got my Smok Mag Kit a few weeks ago and today decided to change my coil because the old one was tasting a bit burnt. Im new to this so I'm pretty sure I did it right but who knows. I took the top of and put the new coil. The old coil was a .45ohm which I was using at 70 watts. This new one is a .12 which I was using at 80. I put juice on the top and the sides to prime the coil and then let it sit for about 30 minutes. Now whenever I drag its super hard to and it burns my throat and I have no flavor. The tank also gets incredibly hot. Please help, what did I do?
Welcome and glad you joined.
Might like to read:
Tfv8 Baby beast -- Issues with dry hits, vapour lock, wicking..

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
Hi and welcome. It is possible you burnt the new coil on the first drag, starting it off at 80 watts. I recommend breaking a coil in gently. Try starting one at half (or less) the rated wattage, then raising it up gradually. FWIW, if I vaped any coil at 80 watts I'd cough my throat lining out. That may simply be too much power for you.

Kittyntwinstarz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 8, 2018
California, USA
I like to ensure I prime correctly by not putting juice on the side cotton but instead drip liquid on the top until you see the sides are wet and it stops absorbing the liquid. This is because the cotton is packed to tight that you may have saturated the outside and not inner cotton.

Then I fill the tank, close the airflow and without hitting the fire button suck about 3-5 times till you taste the flavor coming through. Lower you wattage and slowly work your way up to you pleasurable spot. The first tank or half tank can taste dry with limited flavor. That is normal. Hope that helps.

Last edited:

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Um.... I did not hear of any talk of cleaning the tank. If you didn't clean the tank thoroughly, the
"burnt taste" may linger due to leftover e-juice (even if you poured it out, you should clean everything) in the tank, on the O-rings, and etc. If you didn't do all that, that may be why your tank is still tasting "burnt." When your coil goes, your have to toss your juice and thoroughly clean the tank.

Although, some of the other possibilities raised could certainly be the cause of it as well. I don't mean to sound condescending, and if I missed it, I apologize. Sometimes it can just be a really simple thing as compared to something more major.

Welcome to ECF!

Anna

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread