Am I just a "supertaster?" Attached to cartos.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I finally upgraded to a VV/VW mod and with it, I picked up a hypertank fluid flask from ViperVape. They use protank heads, so I figured it would be easy enough to play with after using a carto-tank for so long. My problem is that I'm CONSTANTLY getting a nasty burnt taste, even with all of my other vape-adept friends saying it tasted fine. I re-wicked the head with cotton instead of the standard polyfill and that helped for a day or so, but then it went straight back to the horrible burnt flavor.

I never have this problem with cartomizers--even if I chain-vape (which I do constantly), it seems to hold enough fluid so I don't run into that issue... that is even if the polyfill inside the carto has anything to do with it. Am I just weird? Or is there a trick to using replaceable atty heads so I don't have this issue?

CreepyLady

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2013
Salem, MA, USA
I'm noticing it even on ce4's and protanks/protank minis on my friends' devices, including smaller fixed-voltage batteries. Does it naturally just vape differently? I'm not sure if I'm the only one that notices such an immense difference between the stock poly-fill and cotton.

I prefer my cartotanks to most everything else. It may just be that the way they taste is your preference *shrug* stick with what you like :)

I think all tanks taste different and my guess on the burning taste would be the wicks as well. Maybe they are just a teensy bit burned and you are more prone to finding that taste than the other folks who tried it. Not really worth stressing over - just switch back to what you know you like.

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
"Burnt taste" with clearomizers comes usually from dry hits--when there isn't enough eliquid on the coil to cool it down. Wicks used in clearomizers are made out of the same silica rope are the wicks in cartomizers--they don't burn. If anything, cartos come with a wad of polyfill that many people strongly dislike...

Try taking gentler draws, maybe lower your wattage a bit as Rick suggested. And make sure that your eliquid is of proper consistency--if it's too thick, it won't travel fast enough to the atomizing chamber.

Wash your clearomizer prior to first use, just in case there are remnants of some Chinese WD-40 inside. Clean and replace your coils as necessary--especially important if you're using dark or sweet juices.

Of course, if your cotton wicks taste burnt, they most likely are.

They don't burn? Weird... when I dismantled my first protank head ever, the polyfill was BLACKENED. Once I switched to cotton I'd get 14-18 hours of good flavor out of it.

I'll probably stick with my carto tank(s)--the only issue is that I don't get quite as much flavor or vapor out of them. Then again, since I double-puff and constantly chain vape I should just accept that compromise. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread