Status
Not open for further replies.

kristin

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
CASAA - Wisconsin
casaa.org
I can't seem to start threads in the Suggestions forum, so I'm posting here..

My idea: A more easily readable, findable review/rating section for members for stores and products, based on the review/ratings system at Amazon.com.

Create one subforum where each company gets their own thread titled with their store name with a poll attached. (Rating/reviewing for customer service.)
Create one subforum where each product gets it's own thread titled with the name of the product with a poll attached. (Rating/reviewing a particular device, accessory, atomizer, cartomizer, brand of liquid, brand of e-cigarette, etc. but not individual flavors of e-eliquids.)

The poll itself just has 5 rating choices (like on Amazon.com) of 1-5 stars, 5 being the best and located at the top of the poll list, 1 being the worst and at the bottom of the poll.

Members can then vote their rating and leave personal experiences in the thread itself, just like on Amazon.com. Vendors and affiliates cannot vote or post in these threads - consumers only.

Only one thread allowed per store or product per forum, so there aren't a 1,000 different threads on the same thing.

Probably best if members can't start threads themselves, only vote and comment on existing threads. If they see a missing vendor or product, they can ask a mod to add a thread in a stickied request thread at the top of the forum. Vendors can also request for their store/product to be added.

What do you think? It'd be nice to have a really easy place to find info on products and stores!

Click "Like" if you think this is a good idea and ECF might consider doing it! :)

Last edited:

rolygate

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2009
ECF Towers
Hey I like that!

As it happens, ECF is just starting to build a new Reviews section to try and make all that happen. Watch the Announcements in about two weeks. At the moment we are looking at using a form-based write-up system on it for doing your reviews. It will let us do a bit more, a bit better organized than the current freestyle posting method.

Is this synchronicity Kristin, or are we psychic??

Oneida

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 15, 2012
S. Calif
At the moment we are looking at using a form-based write-up system on it for doing your reviews.

I really like that idea and would like to suggest two things -

1. That the form include a field where the reviewer indicates how long they used the product given that the usefulness of a review is often dependent on the product being put through its paces for several weeks or more as opposed to just an hour.

2. The descriptive free text field requires, say, at least 100 characters in order to weed out the "it sucks" reviews.

You all may have already thought of those but thought I'd throw them out there since it makes for much easier database maintenance to design a database right at the beginning than to have to go back in and modify it.

kristin

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
CASAA - Wisconsin
casaa.org
Hey I like that!

As it happens, ECF is just starting to build a new Reviews section to try and make all that happen. Watch the Announcements in about two weeks. At the moment we are looking at using a form-based write-up system on it for doing your reviews. It will let us do a bit more, a bit better organized than the current freestyle posting method.

Is this synchronicity Kristin, or are we psychic??

Great minds think alike! ;)

Sounds very cool & even better, Roly! The CASAA board was discussing possibilities for an organized, unbiased place to send inquiries about actual products (one that wasn't paid reviewers, part of a vendor site or reviews by a single person AND one we didn't run the risk of liability with) and I thought ECF would be perfect if there wasn't so much to muddle through for newbies. This will be great - looking forward to it! :thumbs:

kristin

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
CASAA - Wisconsin
casaa.org
I really like that idea and would like to suggest two things -

1. That the form include a field where the reviewer indicates how long they used the product given that the usefulness of a review is often dependent on the product being put through its paces for several weeks or more as opposed to just an hour.

2. The descriptive free text field requires, say, at least 100 characters in order to weed out the "it sucks" reviews.

You all may have already thought of those but thought I'd throw them out there since it makes for much easier database maintenance to design a database right at the beginning than to have to go back in and modify it.

I really like the idea of a star/rating system that people can get a good idea "at a glance" which are the highest rated for people who don't know what they want. Also, keeping it to one entry of company/product (ie. organized) that people post under (instead of dozens of separate entries about the same company/product, often with ongoing discussions and arguments about the review) and making it searchable or at least sortable alphabetically to easily find a specific company/product you want to find out more about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread