Another Newb Scammed

Status
Not open for further replies.

tehki

Feb 11, 2011
Colorado
Hi Everyone!

This is my first post here. I'm totally new to vaping and unfortunately only found this wonderful forum AFTER placing an order for one of the 'free trial' scams (through a company called EmeraldLux) and am just waiting to receive the order so I can call to cancel everything. Already cancelled my cc, looks like I'm probably gonna get stuck with a restocking fee along with fees to ship the crappy kit back (unless any of you know any tricks to get them to let me just keep the kit instead of having to pay to send it back and restock?)

I was thinking of telling them the product is faulty and then maybe they wouldn't make me return it - but it's looking like they will probably make me send it back and pay their extra fees anyway... anyone who has experiences or advice on this I'd certainly appreciate it. Have not been charged for anything but the shipping fees yet, and I'm inclined to not pay them another cent but of course I don't want to take a hit on my credit just to try and punish these scammers. Sounds like plenty of you have been in this situation so do let me know if you have any other advice for a sucker like myself :p

Anyway now I'm back at square one and ready to scour the forums to try and figure out A GOOD pv for me to buy. I can't believe I fell for the trial deal :facepalm: but luckily, it allowed me to find this great resource. At first I just wanted to give them a shot because I thought for only shipping fees I had nothing to lose if I don't like them. Now I'm SET on getting a real vaping system going and I'm eyeing the 501's and the egos but I really have a ton of research to do before I can figure out whats up.

Thinking of stopping by a smoke shop later today and getting cheapie disposable so I can having something to try until I can place a new order online for a good system. Though I'm not sure if that's a bad idea because I don't want to get a crappy one that just taints the whole experience for me (any more than it already has been). If any of you know of any decent disposables that are available in smoke shops do let me know what you'd recommend. I don't want to have to wait - yesterday was SUPPOSED to be my quit date!

Thanks for all the helpful information you've all posted here. Only wish I'd found it a bit earlier. Since the trial order I can't wait to try vaping!

:banana:

ABS

Moved On
Feb 11, 2011
Nepean
Sorry to hear about this tehki, But it seems that all of use have been taken for a ride in one way or another either as a newb or veteran,,, shysters don't discriminate... Reputable places here in Canada that I know of are Nicfitnation.com, Evapers.com, Happyvaper.com, capitalnicfit.com and juicyclear.com who is new but I expect to be the top dog here up north.... in the states I have only dealt with a few but clouds of vapor.com and crystal liquids.com have been good to me.. good luck!

dertbv

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 11, 2010
Virginia
My take on restocking fees.. If the product is defective then there should be no fees. If fact they should pay to have the item sent back. Got into a argument with a local store about this same issue. You can not expect me to pay a restocking fee for a defective product. Period. Now if i change my mind and just don't want the product I should pay the fees. In your case you have already notified them you are not happy with the product before you have even received it you should pay. It is not fail to companies that you changed your mind and they absorb the costs. I know it hurts and I have spent quite a few dollars on crap that I just don't want to use. But it was our decision to buy without do a little research up front. Been there done that..

cskent

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 24, 2010
Ohio
If you're wanting something cheap to try look here:

Disposable 510 Vaporizer for a disposable 510. If you decide you like it you'll have a spare atomizer if you buy anything with a 510 threading later.

If you're interested in trying an 808 look here:

808-D Starter Kit

Pretty much anything you get in a smoke shop isn't going to compare to either of these unless you get really lucky. Also pick up a bottle of juice too because those prefilled carts won't last very long so you'll need to refill.

stretchpants

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 21, 2011
The Prettiest in NeverNear
I'm new too. Fortunately I found the forums before I tried the "free trial" I have purchase from Liberty Flights (ego),pure smoker,
Smoke Stix and a few others from the supplier board and have been happy with all of them. Liberty Flights have a 20% off deal on Egos that can't be beat. I like their juice too.
Before I tried the disposable I would put that money on a starter kit from anyone of the suppliers on this board.They ship FAST.
I knew when I got my first kit and took the first puff I would never smoke real cigarettes again and I haven't.Make your first experience that great and wait till you get a good kit to start with.

Pneathery

ECF Veteran
Feb 2, 2011
Surfside Beach SC
I think liberty flights has the best deal on an ego kit. They sell a clone called a Riva 510, it's $30, well worth it. I LOVE MINE. I have a t-Rex, its a clone from another company, all of these are all the same. The Joye ego is the original, and they sell for like $50. That's a food place to start. I just ordered a tank system from liberty flights, and am very much looking forward to trying it out. They sell the atomizer, and carts for $20 so, for $50 you can get a little bit of everything.
Trying to find something that tastes exactly like a smoke won't happen, I found that I have fallen in love with menthol. I never smoked menthol in my life, but found that menthol made me feel like I just smoked.
Anyway good luck.
You can do it. I've been quit for two weeks now.

rmpetty

ECF Veteran
Jan 18, 2011
Park Ridge,N.J.
Welcome Tehki. I almost got sucked into one of those myself.I deleted the email but several days later found that I had some interest in it. I did a search, and thankfully came across ECF and learned enough to make an informed decision. I got a Riva510 from Liberty Flights and have not looked back.I'm a very happy ex analog user. Everyone here will gladly help you out with whatever you need. This is really a great community.

spike39

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 23, 2011
Colorado
Me too, tehki. I fell for this one before I found this forum:
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...2-do-not-order-free-trials-6.html#post2536793

I called the company and got an RMA# immediately when it arrived and sent it right back express mail. It cost me but I attributed it to lessons-learned and the cost of quitting analogs (which, for me.. has been well worth it). This was 2 weeks ago and so far my CC has not been charged for either re-stocking or a 2nd charge.

Good luck.

spike - vapeme

dormouse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 31, 2010
Pennsylvania
The more popular slim ecigs are 510 and KR808D-1. KR8 is a bit fatter and longer and is a 2-piece. 510 is slimmer and shorter and a 3-piece. KR8's standard battery life is better (280mah vs 180mah or about 3-5 hours vs 1.5-3 hours of light to moderate vaping). There are also extra long "mega" batteries for 510 which are 280mah
Comparison
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...st-electronic-cigarette-first-time-vaper.html

If you are a heavy smoker of full strength cigs, heavy dragger, or need longer battery charge life, then instead look at the fat battery models like Ego, Riva 510

girlsaint

ECF Veteran
Feb 11, 2011
NS Canada
I'm new as well. I have a 510 that I started with and have not picked up a cig except once by mistake lit one out of habit and immediately was grossed out by it and put it out. I would say wait the 1-3 days it will take for a reputable dealer to get a 510 or an ego out to you. From reading all I have read, the disposable might not be your best "first time" experience....

tehki

Feb 11, 2011
Colorado
Thanks for all the info, tips, and advice everyone! I'm definitely going to check out all the different products and suppliers mentioned. The learning curve is really overwhelming so thanks again for all of the help and wonderful information.

I don't like the idea of having to do more maintenance on a 510, but I do like that it offers more vapor. KR808 seems like it would be okay, liking the extended battery life and automatic seems like it would be more pleasant, (though it seems manuals are preffered? idk) but also on that I don't like the idea of the tip getting hot, and...pft. I guess there's just no perfect solution in general. I had no idea I was going to have to get a degree in vaping to figure all this out. It's so confusing!

Okay, I'm done whining. Thanks again for your help everyone. Here's hoping I don't give up on this idea before I even start, hah. Definitely thinking I'll give up on the disposable idea and order from a reputable place online if and when I manage to figure this all out!

Last edited:

cipher

Nov 9, 2010
indiana usa
Tehki,

Welcome to ECF. The best piece of advice I could offer you right now is to read the stickies. Also check out the videos by Mistress Nomad. She gives a good run down on the most common starting ecigs for new people.

I personally started with a Joye 510, upgrade to an Ego. I've never had a moment of regret taking up vaping. Quit after 25 years of smoking, and didn't even mean too.

Good luck, and keep coming back if you have any questions.

mlinky

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 22, 2010
Kentucky
Personally I'd go with the KR808D just because it is a 2-piece system. It'll be less hassle for a new vaper since cartos are pretty darn easy to refill, in my opinion. I'm still new myself though, and haven't personally gone for a 3-piece yet. Very satisfied with the Blu and 808 that I have.

Any eGo/Riva kit can be a great 2 piece with the purchase of $8 of Boge 510 2ohm cartomizers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread