Anthony Vapes: Vaporesso Polar Kit Tech Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anthony_Vapes

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 23, 2017
Hi All, Anthony Vapes back here with my review of the vaporesso Polar Kit. Please see bottom for disclaimers and links.

Introduction:
The Vaporesso Polar Kit is a kit that contains their latest mod the Polar, paired with their Cascade baby SE tank. The Polar is a dual 18650 mod rated at 220 watts and is styled like a newer version of their revenger series with an upgraded large full color screen. In general vaporesso has made some of the best mods for the price point lately so we’ll see if the polar can stack up. Looking around i see the mod itself online for around 45-55 USD and the kit version for around 55-70 USD so pretty standard price point. It’s available in 7 colors, Metallic Gray, Red, Gold, Silver, Red/Black, Blue/Black, and Green/Black. All colors have a black frame and come with a black tank and matching glass color for the tank except the Silver which comes with a Silver tank.

Manufacturer's Specs: Mod
  • Dimensions - 144mm by 45mm by 28mm (Includes Tank)
  • Dual 18650 High Amp Battery - Not Included
  • Wattage Output Range: 5-220W
  • Resistance Range: 0.03-5.0 Ohm
  • Other Modes: Smart VW(H/N/S) / VT(SS, NI, TI) / CCT / CCW / VV / CCV
  • BYPASS Mode
  • TCR Adjustment - 2 Memory Modes
  • Super Player Mode - Broad Tank Resistance ID
  • OMNI Board 4.0 Chipset - 0.001s Insta-Fire
  • 2.0" TFT Full Color Display
  • Side Fire Button Operation
  • LED Light Indicator
  • Bottom-Loaded Magnetized Battery Cover
  • Short Circuit Protection
  • Burn Protection
  • No Load Protection
  • Overtime Protection
  • Low Resistance Protection
  • Low Power Protection
  • Overcharge Protection
  • ESD Circuit Protection
  • Pass Through Protection
  • Micro USB Port - 2.5A Max Charge
  • Centered 510 Stainless Steel Connection
  • Available in Silver, Black, Red, Blue, Green, Gold, Metallic Grey
Manufacturer's Specs: Tank
  • 24.5mm Diameter
  • 6.5mL Max Juice Capacity
  • Superior Stainless Steel Construction
  • Pyrex Glass Reinforcement
  • Isolation Structure Design - Separates Juice & Coil Chamber
  • Vaporesso GT Coil System
  • 0.15ohm GT 8 Coil - rated for 50-110W
  • 0.18ohm GT Mesh Coil - rated for 50-90W
  • Triple Triangular-Shaped Airflow Control
  • Delrin Wide Bore Drip Tip
  • Slide-n-Fill Design - Convenient Top-Fill
  • 510 Connection
Included in box:
  • 1 Polar 220W Box Mod
  • 1 Cascade Baby SE Sub-Ohm Tank
  • 1 0.15ohm GT8 Coil
  • 1 0.18 GT Mesh Coil
  • 1 Replacement Glass Tube
  • 1 USB Charging Cable
  • 1 User Guide
  • 1 Warranty Card
Coil Options (all coils are kanthal unless otherwise stated)
  • GT1 .2 ohms 50-78 watts
  • GT2 .4 ohms 40-80 watts
  • GT4 .15 ohms 30-70 watts
  • GT6 .5 ohms 40-100 watts
  • GT8 .15 50-110 Watts
  • GT CCELL .5 ohms 20-50 watts (ceramic coil)
  • GT CCELL2 .3 ohms 35-40 watts (ceramic Coil)
  • GT Mesh .18 ohms 50-85 watts
Picture Album
album

Initial Impressions and features
When I first got this Mod, it immediately reminded me of the revenger mods but with a nicer larger screen which i like a lot. It’s also very similar to the smoant charon mini in size, shape, design, screen etc. the 2 devices are crazy similar. Also i got a Green/Black one and i love the coloring on it but it may or may not have been a beta as i can’t get a clear answer on it since a few weeks later a Silver one showed up at my door that was open and used and was said to be the final version. I didn’t notice any major differences in the 2 however. Overall though it was pretty much what i expected and the same for the cascade baby SE tank but i was enjoying it from the start as i have with many of their mods lately.

Watt Mode Performance (chart and spreadsheet in picture album)
Now let’s get into some data. I ran my normal testing. I used Sony VTC5A batteries for the testing. Testing resistances were done at .12, .16, .21, and .63 ohms. wattage points were max (220), 200, 150, 100, 75, 50 and 25. At .12 ohms it maxed out at 212 watts and 42 amps. For the rest of the testing it was a little on the low side 10-13 watts for 150 or more, and 1-6 watts low at 100 or less. Pretty accurate at such a low resistance where many mods struggle At .16 it maxed out at 209 watts. The rest were pretty good hitting slightly low across the board, it was 6-10 watts low at 150 or more but only 3-5 watts low 100 or less except for at 25 where it was on point. For the .21 test it maxed out at 216 watts. Again pretty good but a little on the low side mostly. 2-3 watts low except at 200 where it was 3 high, 50 where it was 1 high, and 25 where it was on point. For the .63 testing it maxed out at 145 watts and 9.572 volts. For the rest of the testing 2-10 watts high. The volts shows there is a boost circuit in this mod like most vaporesso mods these days which is a nice selling point for me as many dual battery mods don’t have them

Overall I felt the performance of this mod was pretty good. It didn’t really struggle with the .12 ohm build which was surprising I was able to get 212 watts at that resistance. It mostly hits slightly weak but doesn't feel that way due to the pre-heat which i’ll go over in a second. I was able to get 216 watts max, so I consider it to be accurately rated at 220 watts. The 9.572 volt limit shows there is a boost circuit. Their manual lists the max Volts at 9V so it’s even a little underrated in that regard. They do not list an amp limit on this mod. The most i got was 42 with a .12 ohm coil which is above average for a dual battery 18650 mod where the average is around 40. The mod never got warm when stressing it at 150 or less watts however over 150 it does take on a lot of heat from the atomizer. Not unsafe hot but more than i would feel comfortable with using all the time. Still i don’t recommend vaping over 150 watts on a dual battery mod and make sure to always use 20a CDR batteries or higher. For people’s normal vaping habits and the safe limits the mod won’t run hot. One issue i had with this mod however is the normal preheat does not function correctly. Soft and Hard work fine but normal works like a hard preheat would when normal should have no pre-heat. I hope they fix it via a firmware update as it’s an easy fix. The mod also fires very fast. Even if you click 5 times to turn off the first click will give you a sizzle of your coil but unlike the charon mini where it sizzled all 5 clicks, the polar will only sizzle on the first click which was a nice idea to program into the mod. The watt curve mode works excellent and doesn't have any issues or built in pre-heats and performs as it should.

Simplified TLDR Power Performance summary
Mod performance is really good. Mostly hits just a few watts off on the low side. Accurately rated for watts (216), Yes boost circuit, above average amp limit of 42. Volts tested at 9.572 so exceeds the 9V listed. Also impressive you can get 209 or more watts from a .12 to a .21 ohm coil. And 145 watts with a .63 ohm thanks to the boost. Normal preheat does not function correctly and acts like a hard pre-heat. Watt curve mode works great as it should.

Temperature Control Performance
Using SS316 wire in SS mode and TCR mode I tested 6 builds. 1 simple round spaced single, 1 simple round spaced dual, 2 large fancy single coils builds, and 2 large fancy dual coil builds. The mod has full adjustable watts and full adjustable TCR. With that said in SS mode the TC was unusable. Even at 300F it wouldn’t cut off. Vaporesso mods tend to hit a little on the high side but this was way too much. Using TCR mode starting at 92 which is typically the TCR for SS wire (between 88-92 but 92 usually works well) the mod still was way too high even dropping the temp down to 300F. Eventually i settled in with a TCR of 70 and around 350-390F for a warm vape depending on build. The performance was how it should be with a setting TCR of 92 and around 430-460F so it’s pretty badly off. More-so than their past mods and was a little disappointing. Once I got it dialed in however it did vape very well. It was smooth and consistent with a good throttle that wasn’t pusley or too hard and the dry hit protection was pretty good as well. Still i have to give it a fail due to being way too inaccurate and i hope it gets tweaked and fixed in a firmware update which shouldn’t be difficult as it can be good if they fix the settings

Other Usage Notes
The mod uses a standard 5 click to turn on and off. The menu system is good and easy to navigate. It has a seperate menu button like most newer vaporesso mods. You use 3 clicks to enter the menu or hold menu to have it jump to the mode you are on in the menu. Then you use up and down to cycle to the mode you want and menu fire to accept. It has Power (with hard, normal, and soft preheat options),TC for Ni, Ti, SS, Watt curve mode, Voltage Curve Mode, VV mode (variable voltage) and mech (bypass) mode. In the TC options you can change your wattage and lock resistance. They also have a super player mode which is just described as “adaptive to all mainstream RDA tanks” which to me makes little sense and does not explain enough of what it’s supposed to do for me to test it properly but it appears to want to be an auto watts mods. I personally would rather have control of my settings. In the settings there is an auto mode which says (The auto function taking away any operation difficulties switching between preheats” and a smart setting which claims “when you turn on the smart function it can change intensity according to the coils resistance levels within a safe limit in VW mode. Maybe sounds like a replay type thing but again they really don’t explain it enough to test against any claims. They need to do a better job with explaining these new features if they want me to test if they work properly so i turned them both off and didn't mess with it. Auto is on by default and smart is off by default. Tapping fire acts like a back button while in the menu. Clicking fire 3 times locks the device settings but can still fire. In the settings you can also change the theme color, set the clock, the screen timeout, and check or reset your puff counter.

The Vaporesso Polar adjusts by .1 watt increments under 100 watts and full watt increments 100 or more however if you hold the adjust buttons down instead of tapping it does move by 1 watt increments. Not a bad setup overall. It also does not round robin wattage which isn’t a big deal but kinda annoying during my testing. The mod itself is built solid with no rattle at all, and has a good weight. Feels solid but not heavy. The Battery door is a standard magnetic backplate and It’s easy to get batteries in and out without damaging wraps and takes 2 18650 batteries. There is no ribbon in the battery sled but instead the batteries just stick out a little like the charon mini so are easy to grab onto and pull out. The battery door is solid metal but also has a warning sticker on the inside about battery wraps which is great and acts as a layer of protection as well

The paint looks nice and doesn't scratch off, and i have no visible wear on mine i got unopened however the one that was sent to me later on and opened has seen some stuff. There is visible scratching on the bottom and a slight chip on the side of the body. IDK what they did to abuse this mod but it came that way to me. I love the coloring on the green/black one. It’s not the odd lime green we see a lot but more of a grass green and the fading looks nice. The silver looks good as well but kinda basic these days which some people prefer. The fire button is nice and clicky and a good size. It’s a mostly black, however the gold has a gold one and the silver has a silver one, the rest are black, textured rectangle. It works well and It never gets stuck or anything though which is as it should be. The 510 pin gave me no issues and every atomizer i used on it worked great with no gaps. The mod handles 26mm atomizer flush. Anything bigger will overhang. The screen is a Massive size 2 inch color screen that is nice and bright and easy to see. Even in sunlight it’s pretty visible. Love the screen on this thing. This, the charon mini, and innokin proton to me are the nicest screens on the market. Also for branding the mod itself is pretty nice overall and not heavily branded. There is a small ironfist polar on the front above the screen and back in the same place. The vaporesso logo is designed and blends in with the backplate design.They list 2.5 amp balanced charging as well but i don’t recommend charging internally in your mods and I don’t test charge rates.

Cascade Baby SE tank
The kit comes with a cascade baby SE tank. It uses the same GT coils as the NRG and cascade baby tanks as well but doesn't use the larger GTM coils of the full size cascade SE tank. It’s size is between the cascade baby and the cascade SE. if they were smok tanks this would be the big baby beast when compared to the baby beast and TFV8 cloud beast. I’ve already reviewed the coils several times over with the NRG reviews and even the cascade baby review in the cascade one plus review so i won’t spend too much time with it but in general the vaporesso coils aren't very good and need to be worked on with the exception of their mesh coil which performs pretty good as an average mesh coil but not as good as the better ones on the market. Still if you have a GT coil tank it’s the one to get.

The tank itself is a nice capacity 6.5ml which is great for a tank and also can be used as a 2ml tank. It follows the same design as the cascade SE with the bulging out tank on top of the coil but in a smaller size. The top fill is pretty cool as it’s a slide back but locks into place. You have to pull it up to slide it back and expose the fill hole then when you slide back into place it’ll snap down and lock so it can't open by accident. Very nice design. The threading on this was also nice and much improved from the full size cascade SE tank which had really poor threading on the base. You can also replace a coil with an almost full tank which is nice. It works well overall and has some nice design to it and the colored matching glass looks great but all in all it’s an average tank with the mesh coil and below average with other GT coils. Not a bad tank to start with but not one of the best on the market either. It does come with all the needed accessories (spare glass, 2 coils, spare o-rings etc) and uses a standard 510 delrin tip.

Pros:
  • Build Quality of mod
  • build quality of tank
  • tons of color options with matching tank glass

• Power mode performance

• Accurately rated for watts

• high amp limit

• boost circuit

• good menu system

• batteries are easy to get in and out without damaging wraps

• full watt adjustment 100+

• accurately rated for volts

• excellent size and color screen

• watt curve mode

• VV mode

• volt curve mode

• tank is good enough with the mesh coils

• large juice capacity in tank

• nice fill method in tank

• nice fire button

• centered 510 pin
Cons:
  • temp mode performance was disappointing
  • normal preheat functions like hard preheat
  • mod gets hot over 150 watts
  • smart mode/auto mode/super player mode not explained well enough
Conclusion
So with all that said, do I recommend this kit or not? I’ll break it down by section. For the tank it’s decent enough and while i wouldn’t recommend it by itself if it’s only an extra few bucks and you have an old tank and need an upgrade it’s a good tank with the mesh coils or using better compatible coils the then GT offering. Personally i’d spend the few extra bucks for a better tank and buy the mod separate but if you were on a tight budget it’s no worse off than most included tanks in kits. For the mod itself i’ll lean towards the yes as a power mode driver. It does a great job in power mode and has volt mode and both watt and volt curves plus a boost circuit so it really excels for non TC users just remember there is no normal preheat as it acts as a hard preheat in VW mode. As a TC mod i’m gonna lean towards the no. it’s can vape good when set up right but it’s way too far off for me to really recommend it. The good news is all the nagging issues on this mod can be and hopefully will be addressed in a firmware update which could make it a killer mod. Just tweak the TC and fix the normal preheat and it would be a heavy lean yes for both but as of now i’d mostly just recommend the mod only and as a power driver.

This is Anthony Vapes just keeping it honest, hopefully you all can say the same and i’ll catch you on my next review.

Product Disclaimer
This product was sent to me from Vaporesso

Review Disclaimer
Due to possible QC difference your experience may vary.

Reviewer Disclaimer
I’ve been doing vape reviews since late 2016 and have done around 200 reviews to date. I enjoy helping vapers on forums as well and helping contribute to the great vape community. I’m not an “out of the box” reviewer. I do my best to be thorough at all times and have enough experience with many products to tell what’s good and what’s not. All mods get tested with an oscilloscope and stress tested and results are posted in my reviews.

Recommendations and Past Review Links
written reviews list here

Youtube Channel here

Spreadhseet of Recommendations here

Best of 2018 so far list here

Best of 2017 list here

• Informative
Reactions: PKirsch

PKirsch

Jul 6, 2018
Birmingham, Al
Thanks, AV!
Well done and GREATLY appreciated...as always.
I too have been mystified by the Polar's "inverted" voltage boost when in VW-N vs VW-H. Normal mode vapes just as aggressively as Hard mode, if not more so.
Question:
Have you seen Vaporesso's new firmware update for the Polar?
V1.05 is the latest. Looks like it came out "publicly" today.
Any chance you had early access? If so, did they finally address these issues?
Thanks again, Anthony!
PK

Reactions: Anthony_Vapes

Anthony_Vapes

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 23, 2017
Thanks, AV!
Well done and GREATLY appreciated...as always.
I too have been mystified by the Polar's "inverted" voltage boost when in VW-N vs VW-H. Normal mode vapes just as aggressively as Hard mode, if not more so.
Question:
Have you seen Vaporesso's new firmware update for the Polar?
V1.05 is the latest. Looks like it came out "publicly" today.
Any chance you had early access? If so, did they finally address these issues?
Thanks again, Anthony!
PK
I dind't even get a chance to try 1.04 lol i'll give 1.05 a try but nice to see them working to fix it

Reactions: PKirsch
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread