Any asthmatics in the club?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomaKBRN

ECF Veteran
Nov 10, 2012
Puerto Rico
Hello friends.

The other day I was demonstrating to my friends my PV (ePuffer's Phantom HD) and when I ran out of juice I took the oportunitty to show them how to refill the basic tank my PV has...

So long story short one of my friends who is an asthmatic was blow away by how similar the tank and dripping and the vaporization of the e-liquid is to (apparently) having asthma therapy.

He explained to me that he would also fill a similar tank with his medicine and then the asthma machine would vaporize it, not smoke or burn it, and you would inhale and exhale like normal.

Since I've fortunately never have had to use such machine I'm not really sure how similar or different they are, so my question is...

If you've seen or used one of this asthma therapy machine how does it compare and/or differentiate from out PVs?
Is there a way asthmatic people could use their medicine in these devices (maybe not on all but 1 or a few)?

Any other comments, opinions or experiences a welcomed.

THX

scalewiz

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 17, 2011
My wife, an asthmatic, occasionally uses one. She calls it a nebulizer. Apparently they charge huge bucks for one of these, so my investigation never went any further. Her medicine is placed into the machine basically in the mouthpiece portion. It doesn't seem to vaporize the medications with any form of heat, though.

If the asthma medication would not be destroyed by any kind of heat, then I suppose it would be possible to deliver that medication through the use of an e-cigarette type device. As far as going the other way around, and delivering nicotine and flavoring through a nebulizer device, some comments from someone who knows more about how the medication is vaporized would be helpful. Anyone???

JENerationX

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 25, 2011
Rochester, NY
The medication, most commonly albuterol, is not vaporized with heat. There is a compressor in the nebulizer and basically compressed air is pumped through the liquid medication turning it into a mist. If anything, it's actually cool not warm. I don't think you'd want to introduce heat to an asthma drug. As far as vaping with a nebulizer, I suppose it's possible... I don't know that you'd get the same vapor effect with turning it into mist as you would with heating it, you'd go through a hell of a lot of juice (3ml in 15-20 minutes anyone?), and it's a constant output rather than heating only when you're inhaling. You'd probably over nic yourself pretty quickly.

tnt56

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 30, 2012
Tripple digits half way to home
As a person that suffers from SEVERE COPD I can tell you that the only difference is the heat. The PV warms the liquid and the nebulizer just makes it a vapor. Since I've started vaping I can count on one hand the times I've had to take a breathing treatment in the last couple of months. I use to have to carry the machine, medicine (levabutrol because I can't tolerate the alburtol) and also a rescue inhaler every where I went. It makes me mad that they will ban the vaping but sit in the same room when I do a breathing treatment. (sorry for being off about this but it makes me mad.)
And JEN is right about the amount of juice you would use. A normal treatment is equal to 3ML of liquid and that goes for 8-10 minutes.

JENerationX

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 25, 2011
Rochester, NY
As a person that suffers from SEVERE COPD I can tell you that the only difference is the heat. The PV warms the liquid and the nebulizer just makes it a vapor. Since I've started vaping I can count on one hand the times I've had to take a breathing treatment in the last couple of months. I use to have to carry the machine, medicine (levabutrol because I can't tolerate the alburtol) and also a rescue inhaler every where I went. It makes me mad that they will ban the vaping but sit in the same room when I do a breathing treatment. (sorry for being off about this but it makes me mad.)
And JEN is right about the amount of juice you would use. A normal treatment is equal to 3ML of liquid and that goes for 8-10 minutes.

Yeah 8-10 minutes sounds about right. I never timed the actual time it took to inhale the vial.. I'd just do my treatment on a 15 minute work break and be ready to head back. I haven't been on a nebulizer since shortly after I started vaping. I've used my rescue inhaler 2-3 times and that was due to a severe ear/nose/throat infection that was draining. Amazing that I always blamed my asthma on having asthma and denied that smoking had anything to do with how sick I'd get. I'd tell my mom she was right all these years, but that would just give her an excuse to start nagging about my eating habits.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread