Anyone else get TONS of SPAM after buying from vaping vendors?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trayce

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2013
Multiversal
I got my first e-cigs last April or so. I keep a tight rein on my email address (I don't use gmail or hotmail but my ISP address) and I never give out my address to websites unless I am buying something from them. Very few people have my private address either... I give most people (even family) a different web-based address knowing they will send me mail from services that will share that address.

All to say I really never get much spam at my main, private ISP address. Most days I get zero. Some days I might get one piece. Two is a lot and rare. And I've had this address about a decade.

As soon as I bought e-cigs and juice and other various goodies from e-vendors last April, I got FLOODED with spam (like that night and from then on for several weeks) from all kinds of places that had nothing to do with e-cigs and much of it was scam-type spam.

I also had credit card fraud for the 1st time in my life, though I have been buying online for 14 yrs. Luckily I use BofA's ShopSafe service which issues a "fake" CC number to use that maps back to your real one. The 'fake' number can be assigned a cap and short expiry date. It can also only be used with a single vendor. (You get another ShopSafe number for each vendor you buy from online.) So someone tried to put $3k through, and BofA called me, and it was stopped.

So that was all very disappointing. I don't think for a minute an e-vendor tried to fraud my card, but I do think an e-vendor shared/sold my address to an unscrupulous third party - not that they KNOW they are going to commit fraud, but they aren't showing much diligence or care in who they share my address with. Again, disappointing.

So time passed and I was not buying anything new, and the spam slowed then eventually stopped. And I forgot about it.

Then a week ago I bought a Vamo from fasttech and some other items. No problem. And no spam. But a few days ago I started buying stuff from US vendors... batts from one place, a charger from another place... a tank from another, and heads from another... and guess what. I got like 30 pieces of spam this morning. Rather than the usual 0-2.

I am not saying who the vendors are but I did not buy from anyone I bought from previously, last April. And for all I know it's just one of them in every batch who is selling or sharing my email with spamming third parties. But it's an annoying aspect of an otherwise enjoyable endeavor, (i.e. e-cig shopping that is). I wish the vendors that are doing this would stop. Anyone else notice it?

xtwosm0kesx

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 30, 2010
Face down in the gutter, USA
Same situation, really disappointing after the tight grip ive had on my main e-mail for many years.

Scroll to the bottom of one of them, and see if you're receiving ones from 'Shotzi Hosting', seems the majority of mine are coming from them, id be interested to know who sold them my info.

Vaslovik

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2013
Oh yes, I do, and I don't appreciate it one bit. I write them back telling them that if they continue to spam me I will cease buying things from them. Battery Junction is one such vendor. I wrote them today, and we shall see what effect that has. Free-cigs.com is another that continues to spam me, and I wrote them too saying the same thing.

I made sure each time I used a vendor that the box for them to send me updates and spam was NOT checked, but they do it anyway, and if they keep it up I will not do business with them again. I will tell them this, and why. If I buy something from them and they did their job and I'm happy I'll buy from them again, unless they spam the snot out of me after that purchase.

I don't get how they think it will serve them to harass a new customer.

Last edited:

Trayce

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2013
Multiversal
Same situation, really disappointing after the tight grip ive had on my main e-mail for many years.

Scroll to the bottom of one of them, and see if you're receiving ones from 'Shotzi Hosting', seems the majority of mine are coming from them, id be interested to know who sold them my info.

I use Thunderbird email client which has a built-in spam filter that is trainable, so half of them appeared only for a second in my inbox before being transferred to trash, and the other half I quickly clicked the "SPAM" icon in TBird for each to let it know that was SPAM, so I didn't even read who they came from. I could just see from the subject it was spam. But next time I'll look.

Trayce

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2013
Multiversal
Oh yes, I do, and I don't appreciate it one bit. I write them back telling them that if they continue to spam me I will cease buying things from them. Battery Junction is one such vendor. I wrote them today, and we shall see what effect that has. Free-cigs.com is another that continues to spam me, and I wrote them too saying the same thing.

I made sure each time I used a vendor that the box for them to send me updates and spam was NOT checked, but they do it anyway, and if they keep it up I will not do business with them again. I will tell them this, and why. If I buy something from them and they did their job and I'm happy I'll buy from them again, unless they spam the snot out of me after that purchase.

I don't get how they think it will serve them to harass a new customer.

This is a little different scenario in that you are being spammed directly by the vendor(s) you actually bought from, if I understand you correctly. The spam I am receiving is not from the vendors I bought from, or any e-cig party at all... it's from various scam enterprises and just general spam of all kinds. So obviously one or more vaping vendors sold/shared my email address with third parties in the business of spamming, who probably continue to pass it on to yet other spammers... and so on and so forth.

I have never had a vaping vendor send me unwanted email from themselves, like you are experiencing. I would assume they would stop if asked... so I hope you get that straightened out. :)

Trayce

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2013
Multiversal
Anyone else get TONS of SPAM after buying from vaping vendors?

No.

Mind my asking what vendors you use since you haven't had a spam problem?

I think it's possible people who use GMAIL or HOTMAIL don't realize they're getting spammed because those services filter much of the spam out before it reaches the end user.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread