Are Panasonic batteries safe to be used with ecigs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

buffaloguy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 22, 2012
Buffalo NY
The 18650b's come in two versions. Protected and unprotected. I believe the link posted is the unprotected version.

I use the 18650b in mechs all the time. The protected version. And they are. completely safe if you know what purposes you are using it for. They have an 8amp limit and can carry a higher amp load safely for a short amount of time. If you are vaping sub ohm coils in the .6 ohm range are they a good choice, no. If however you are at .8 ohms or up you are fine.

As said previously, and correctly stated its all about the intended purpose of the battery. The protected 18650b's are a great battery for mech mods and we shouldnt all be sheep buying into what the crowd uses just cause the other guy has heard it from another guy

Pazazu

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 17, 2013
North Carolina
This is a topic I've been very confused about too. There are posts everywhere saying to never use unprotected batteries. Right now I'm using AW IMR batteries in an innokin itaste svd. I'm guessing that is safe since there is a protection circuit, and I'm not really pushing the amps hard with it.

I also have a mech mod in the mail with a safety fuse. I plan to use the same AW IMR batteries in the mech mod, with the fuse. What I gather from this thread is that unprotectd batteries can be safer (with the fuse) in a mech mod?

Or do I need to go digging through the massive pile of batteries, trying to find a protected battery with a 10 amp+ rating? I don't really plan to ever go below .8 ohms personally, but I am sure at some point or another I'll run into a short while building a coil.

Protected battery or unprotected battery, you're fairly safe while using the fuse correct? The fuse is designed to blow itself before the load gets too hot to destroy a battery, right?

And the hybrid batteries are the safest no matter what? Should I toss my AW IMR batteries and get the hybrids for the mech and vv mods both?

All this battery info is a bit intimidating really, I wish someone would make a list of batteries, and say, hey this is the battery to use for mech mods, this is the one to use for vv mods, etc etc. Half the vendors that sell these batteries don't even post the amp limits, so it makes things that much more complicated really.

All I know is, my VV mod isn't really keeping up with my vaping habits. I chain vape the crap out of it all day long, and my current 18650 aw imr battery lasts me about 6-8 hours max. Seems like its time to go for a mech mod, and all this talk has me feeling like I will be having a bomb in my hand.

I guess all you can do in the long run is if you feel your mod getting hot, unscrew the battery as fast as you can, and toss that sumbeech out the window lmao. Will an IMR battery blow a stainless steel mech mod apart in your face, if it have vent holes in it?

If anyone will point me in the right direction, I'd appreciate it very much.

-Edit

Grr now I have another battery question. If you have a battery that can handle 20 amps with an 1800mah rating, will it have a longer useable life between charges than a battery with a 10 amp limit at the same 1800 mah?

Last edited:

nipurava

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 6, 2012
India
Last edited:

nipurava

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 6, 2012
India
Grr now I have another battery question. If you have a battery that can handle 20 amps with an 1800mah rating, will it have a longer useable life between charges than a battery with a 10 amp limit at the same 1800 mah?

as far as i have come know from this thread that 10A or 20A its the discharge rate and mah is for life
and from the previous graphs we can easily see that all the extra mah of the pannys are below 3.2 volts which are unusable for ecig mods

graphs in post#20

Last edited:

DaFreeK

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2012
Osijek, Croatia
Right now I'm using AW IMR batteries in an innokin itaste svd. I'm guessing that is safe since there is a protection circuit, and I'm not really pushing the amps hard with it.
Yes, that's safe, you described it right.

I also have a mech mod in the mail with a safety fuse. I plan to use the same AW IMR batteries in the mech mod, with the fuse. What I gather from this thread is that unprotectd batteries can be safer (with the fuse) in a mech mod?
Yes, the fuse makes it 'protected' ;) So it's safe to use, and if a short happens the fuse should blow and everything is ok ;)

Or do I need to go digging through the massive pile of batteries, trying to find a protected battery with a 10 amp+ rating? I don't really plan to ever go below .8 ohms personally, but I am sure at some point or another I'll run into a short while building a coil.
No need for that, you've got a fuse ;)

Protected battery or unprotected battery, you're fairly safe while using the fuse correct? The fuse is designed to blow itself before the load gets too hot to destroy a battery, right?
Right ;)

And the hybrid batteries are the safest no matter what? Should I toss my AW IMR batteries and get the hybrids for the mech and vv mods both?
Nope, the AW IMR are safe chemistry, which means they won't explode if something bad happens to them.
As for the Panasonic hybrid batteries, I _think_ (I'm not sure) they're also safe chemistry.

All this battery info is a bit intimidating really, I wish someone would make a list of batteries, and say, hey this is the battery to use for mech mods, this is the one to use for vv mods, etc etc. Half the vendors that sell these batteries don't even post the amp limits, so it makes things that much more complicated really.
True story ;) Panasonic NCR18650PD, Panasonic CGR18650CH, AW IMR 18650 and EFEST IMR 18650 are good batteries. There are many, many more out there, but who knows what anymore :D

All I know is, my VV mod isn't really keeping up with my vaping habits. I chain vape the crap out of it all day long, and my current 18650 aw imr battery lasts me about 6-8 hours max. Seems like its time to go for a mech mod, and all this talk has me feeling like I will be having a bomb in my hand.
Is your AW IMR maybe the 1600mah? Or maybe it's older so it won't hold the charge so good anymore?

I guess all you can do in the long run is if you feel your mod getting hot, unscrew the battery as fast as you can, and toss that sumbeech out the window lmao. Will an IMR battery blow a stainless steel mech mod apart in your face, if it have vent holes in it?
No! It won't blow the mod apart :D

That I don't know :D

One thing to add for everyone: Don't ever, ever, EVER buy cheap batteries, because they're cheap. Like.. let's say ultrafire. Those few bucks that you'll save aren't worth it! They don't last long and their chemistry is not so good for vaping purpuses (I think that this chemistry statment is true, so I never went and bought any of them).
Also, a good battery (Panasonics listed above, EFEST 18650 2250mah(which are actually Panasonic batteries), AW IMR) will last you a minimum of one year with no noticeable performance drops. In reality it's about 1.5-2 years when you can notice a drop in performance (That's my experience with all Li-Ion batteries..18650, 14500, cell phone batteries, etc.) . So the few bucks more that you've paid for a decent battery will pay off really well in the long run ;)

Crocky

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 14, 2013
North Carolina
I just got four of these....hoping these are the ones ^ you are talking about. Going to use them on a mech mod

Read through this thread and want to make sure i am understanding correctly, the best batteries to use with mech mods are the
Panasonioc NCR18650PD

Also do I need to get a fuse when using them?

nipurava

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 6, 2012
India
Read through this thread and want to make sure i am understanding correctly, the best batteries to use with mech mods are the
Panasonioc NCR18650PD

Also do I need to get a fuse when using them?

I just got four of these....hoping these are the ones ^ you are talking about. Going to use them on a mech mod

no CGRCH is the best battery for mech mods and safety fuse is a must as there is no protection from shorts in mech mods.

NCRPD is better option for protected devices like vv/vw devices.

CGRCH have a safer chemistry that NCRPD

Last edited:

Crocky

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 14, 2013
North Carolina
Well crap, they already shipped. Leave it to fast tech to hold my other orders for a few days but on this one they packed it overnight so I can't change it :(. I read several post or so I thought where these were just fine :(.
Oh well, that is what I get for reading and holding a credit card at 1 am.

I don't use below 1.5 ohms and mainly 1.8...yeah I am a wimp but still want to get the right batteries. This blows, I getso confused when it comes to buying batteries.

Guess these will see the classies when they come in

Last edited:

nipurava

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 6, 2012
India
dont worry they are best battery for vv/vw devices in the market right now
but these battery have NCR chemistry so if they are shorted and if you exceed their discharge rate you can face a explosion.

IMO the safest place for them is using in a vv/vw mod with all the safety features or a charging them in a good charger like nitecore:D

Blix

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 8, 2013
Stabekk, Norway
Well crap, they already shipped. Leave it to fast tech to hold my other orders for a few days but on this one they packed it overnight so I can't change it :(. I read several post or so I thought where these were just fine :(.
Oh well, that is what I get for reading and holding a credit card at 1 am.

I don't use below 1.5 ohms and mainly 1.8...yeah I am a wimp but still want to get the right batteries. This blows, I getso confused when it comes to buying batteries.

Guess these will see the classies when they come in

No worries, they are fantastic batteries.

See this thread on them: http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...8650-2900mah-high-drain-version-part-1-a.html

Vap3ster

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2013
Miami
I unfortunately already ordered NCR18650B a week ago. This is the unprotected 3400 mah one. I just found this thread today. So are they safe to use in my vamo v2. I do not own any mechanical mods.

I read most of this thread but some people seam more worried than others. Now I wish I would have just re ordered the grey pannys they were replacing
.:(

Blix

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 8, 2013
Stabekk, Norway
I unfortunately already ordered NCR18650B a week ago. This is the unprotected 3400 mah one. I just found this thread today. So are they safe to use in my vamo v2. I do not own any mechanical mods.

I read most of this thread but some people seam more worried than others. Now I wish I would have just re ordered the grey pannys they were replacing
.:(

As the Vamo have built in protection, those batteries are fine with it.

Cyrus Vap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 8, 2011
Bay Area, California
In the context of this thread:
-The NCR18650PB would perform very well in a VV/VW device that is limited to 15w or in a mech mod with a >1.3Ω coil.
-In a Mech mod with a <1.3Ω coil. The old and forgotten AW IMR 1600mAh performs great and is readily available from many retailers. However, there is also the Samsung INR18650-20R 2000mAh that will outperform the AW 1600 across the board...but it is not so readily available.

I see these are "INR18650-20BQ"

http://www.fasttech.com/products/0/...ng-inr18650-20q-36v-2000mah-rechargeable-li-i

Is this a known different model, same thing? Evidence of counterfeiting? lol

Thrasher

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2012
Madeira beach, Fla
i use the pd2900's in mechs constantly. love them

protected batteries are not a different chemistry, it is usually the exact same battery as the similar unprotected version with a small fuse added to the body.

higher discharge like 20 and 30 amp will not last longer they can just discharge more current

whether you use a 6 amp or 20 amp battery a short is a short. you can use the 6.8 amp 3400's if you are sure your not going into sub ohm builds stay in the 1.2-1.4 ohm area and the discharge is low enough.

I have one now im testing in a mech on a 1.2 ohm coil -1.2ohms@4.2v= 3.5 amps, well below maximum discharge. only been a day or two so im waiting until it gets 4-5 charges for maximum effect before deciding but so far so good.

the reason high drain are so importaint in a regulated mod is the boost circuit. 4.5 v doesnt magically appear from a battery at 3.5 v charge. it pulls extra amperage from the battery then up converts it to the higher voltage. so if your running around 3 amps at 4 volts the battery may need to output 6 amps at 3.6v to get there.

in a mech, with any coil built, the most dangerous time is when the battery is fully charged. this is when the coil will see the maximum amperage it can draw. as the battery dies down so does the amperage pull.

whatever you do dont buy cheap batteries a couple of the bargain brands have been cuaght selling seconds and reconditioned batteries.
Yea ultrafire im looking at you!
just last night at CPF (candlepowerforums) i ran into a post where a flashlight exploded from crappy batteries. nasty nasty pictures
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?280909-Ultrafire-18650-3000mA-exploded

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread