Battery Charger Compatibility Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Valentine Michael Smith

ECF Veteran
Jan 25, 2011
Pacific Northwest
I'm not sure if this the correct place to post this question, but I keep hearing conflicting things so I thought this may be the best place to come.

I am at a point in my vaping that I am looking into "mods" (if we call a Provari that) :)

This may seem like a horribly ignorant question but I can't seem to find (I'm not saying anyone has not, just that I can't find it) anywhere that explicitly states that the same battery chargers that are used for Li-Ion cells can be used for AW IMR High Drain cells (LiMn?)

Provape claims the charger they sell with the Provari can be used for both the batteries used in the Provari (AW IMR High Drain) and the Provape 1 (Li-Ion).

ASSUMING the charger handles the correct size batteries (i.e. 18650 Li-Ion, and AW IMR High Drain 18650), can the same charger handle both types of batteries?

My second question is: Can a "mod" (beside the Provari, say something like a Chuck) that uses a Li-Ion 18650 also use a AW IMR High Drain 18650?

If this is the case (and assuming I didn't want or need to change voltage or a non VV mod) then wouldn't it make sense to not even have an Li-Ion cells and just use AW IMR High Drains.

I have some links to products I have in mind, but I am not sure if that is appropriate to post here.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
VMS

p.s. I am aware of the difference between protected and unprotected Li-Ion cells, just so no one here feels the need to go down that rabbit hole. :)

tardcore

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2009
pittsburgh, pa
the short answer is yes, your standard Li-Ion (4.2v) chargers should work perfectly with an IMR 18650. note that i say should, not will. the IMR cells have a lower internal resistance than standard Li-Ion cells, and can be over-charged by chargers with questionable quality control. it's important that you not just leave your cells sitting on the charger all day at home while you go off to work or wherever. take them off the charger when the light goes green, let them sit for maybe 5-10 minutes, then check their voltage. they should be right around 4.2v. if they're a bit higher than that (maybe 4.21 or 4.22) you're probably ok, but you're likely to see a slightly decreased lifespan out of them (less cycles before their capacity begins to drop off). if they're way overcharged (say, 4.3v or more) you might need a new charger for safety reasons.

for your second question (using IMR batteries in a Chuck) the answer is that i'm not 100% sure, but only because i don't have a chuck (or IMR 18650s) on hand to test. the issue here is length. the IMR's tend to be a bit shorter than standard Li-Ion's. i'm not sure how much the spring in a Chuck's end-cap is compressed by a standard Li-Ion 18650, but if there's a decent amount (say, a cm or 2) then you shouldn't have trouble using an IMR 18650 in there at all. if there's not much spring compression, then you might need a magnetic battery spacer on one end of the IMR to ensure that it makes contact.

whew! i think i covered it all there :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread