Battery Musing: What makes A123 batteries different?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    Well, it seems you're a bit strict with the amp ratings, certainly because of demanding temperature and voltage drop margins. And since P = I²R, its easy to understand that, for any given possible maximum dissipated power in the battery, increasing the maximum output power/current means need for massive reduction in battery internal resistance. Really nothing to complain, I would also not feel comfortable handling a HOT battery stuffed device, and much less putting mechanical mods and/or some sort of “experimental”/safety measures deprived device in the hands of some berzotas (hell, thank God I warned certain chaps from restoring power tool battery packs using NCR18650Bs and/or laptop pulls). :eek::facepalm::rolleyes:
    Germany? What? Do you mean there's some sort of A123 batteries in series german vape club? :)
    By the way, plenty of Aliexpress/eBay sellers offering ≈$1 voltmeters working at crazy low voltages, great and inexpensive way to monitor the battery voltage.

Cheers :D

Strict? Not at all. :)
    60°C is the max operating temperature for A123's and most LiFePO4 chemistry cells for decent cycle life. Just as about 75°C-80°C is for LMO, NMC, NCA, and some other chemistries. Above that the cell's aging accelerates signficantly.

Reactions: KenD

Barkuti

ECF Veteran
    May 3, 2016
    Alhama de Murcia, Spain
    Hello! :p
    Just discovered the Soshine IFR26650-30As I spoke about earlier were already tested by HKJ. Check it out: Test of Soshine IFR26650 3.2V 3200mAh (Pink)
    Mmm, maybe a tad overrated, but good. Mooch's equivalent rating? Prolly 20A… :)

By the way: we have a lottery business which makes use of a terminal connected to a propietary WAN to dispatch customers. It is mandatory to use an UPS on it, the terminal can't communicate with/service the UPS and, anyway, maximum service time is the priority so in no @#$% way are we going to willingly shut the thing off during rush hours.
    We've replaced a good bunch of inexpensive UPS devices already, this is because they are equipped with weak sealed lead acid batteries, which get seriously damaged with just a single deep discharge.

With these cells, I could assemble a 4S2/3P battery pack which could service us forever. Just with an additional balance board, just in case. Sounds smart? :rolleyes:

Cheers :D

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread