Best 26650 Battery for Sub Ohm Vaping

Status
Not open for further replies.

scscheib

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 11, 2014
Pittsburgh,PA,USA
Not wanting to pass judgment here either. Just trying to add to the need of taking this sub-ohming characteristics seriously. I thought I would just stay away from it myself but I recently built my first sub-ohm at 0.83, after doing all the proper research for about 5 months and I still feel nervous. But I do enjoy the extra flavor so much that I will probably continue to do so but do not feel the need to go lower than 0.5 personally. And that would be with a continuous discharge battery rating of 25-30 amps. Which to my understanding is sufficient for the ohms I listed. *Please correct if I am mistaken* For that is what I feel is one of the true values of this site.

lol look at his forum name, seems like troll to me.

Last edited:
I think if you do it safley and keep a buffer for yourself in the batterys you should be fine, I would suggest never going below .5 with good batterys, and 1OHM with normal batterys unless you really know what you are doing with electronics, and understand current flow, and ohms law. I try to make sure I keep at least a 20% buffer on my batterys from what they can handel and what I am doing. along with almost all of the voltage drop in coil and not in the battery tube.

Last edited:

betterthanyou

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 10, 2013
southern california
View attachment 323724

Is this a typo? 0.1 ohm? Super low resistance builds and laziness don't go together well unless you want to blow up your mod. I don't think you realize how powerful these batteries are!

0.1 ohm is essentially a dead short. 0.1 ohm is within the error range of a decent DMM. You probably can't be sure that your coil reading 0.1 ohm is actually NOT a dead short.

Stick with a higher resistance coil and for batteries at 26650 the sony has a reputed 50amp continues discharge rate though I think that I read this was over estimated somewhat.

You don't plan on going under 0.1 ohm? You're kidding right? Typo? You can't go lower than 0.1 ohm. That would be a dead short. Dead shorted batteries go BOOM!

View attachment 323910

You should never build any coil less than 0.3 ohm no matter what battery you use. You are too close to a dead short which can cause ANY battery to go into thermal runaway (battery meltdown).

And you should not use ANY battery with sub-ohm coils unless you KNOW the amp rating in continuous discharge rate.

I suggest learning some battery basics and some Ohm's Law applications for rebuildable atomizers if you don't want to pay a visit to a plastic surgeon:

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/batteries-chargers/546143-batteries-chargers-multi-meters-forum.html

LOL I'm fairly certain OP meant 1 ohm?

I hope?

Well, the op writes sub-ohm so I'm afraid that 0.1 ohms is actually correct.

To the op: Don't go that low, ever, and educate yourself on battery safety!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Oh give me a break you e cig sub ohm newbies. You all are simply afraid of what you don't understand. If you read the spec sheet on that 26650, it can discharge well beyond 50 amps. We're talking vaping safely in the range of 100+amps for short lengths of time (as in 12 seconds). Sony vtc5 18650s can safely discharge 100 amps for 8 seconds or less. And you mean to tell me this 26650 can not safely discharge 60 amps at .1ohms? give me a break. at 60 amps and .1ohms we're talking 360 watts and 6 volts, well within the safe range of this battery.

This forum is so full of anti sub ohmers it blows my mind. People are simply afraid of what they don't understand. I can detect my resistance +/- .02 ohms with expensive equipment. Anyone hating on the threadstarter either has no understanding of safe subohm builds, batteries, or the testing equipment out there that can pinpoint resistance with a high level of accuracy. People here are afraid of something catastrophic happening, and they don't want bad press, so they avoid sub ohming like the plague. It's humorous.

jpcwon

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2014
North Easton, MA
Oh give me a break you e cig sub ohm newbies. You all are simply afraid of what you don't understand. If you read the spec sheet on that 26650, it can discharge well beyond 50 amps. We're talking vaping safely in the range of 100+amps for short lengths of time (as in 12 seconds). Sony vtc5 18650s can safely discharge 100 amps for 8 seconds or less. And you mean to tell me this 26650 can not safely discharge 60 amps at .1ohms? give me a break. at 60 amps and .1ohms we're talking 360 watts and 6 volts, well within the safe range of this battery.

This forum is so full of anti sub ohmers it blows my mind. People are simply afraid of what they don't understand. I can detect my resistance +/- .02 ohms with expensive equipment. Anyone hating on the threadstarter either has no understanding of safe subohm builds, batteries, or the testing equipment out there that can pinpoint resistance with a high level of accuracy. People here are afraid of something catastrophic happening, and they don't want bad press, so they avoid sub ohming like the plague. It's humorous.

OK then, say you're right. Can you then help us explain what the advantage is by going that low? Because surely there must be advantages, right? Is the vape better all-around? Better clouds?

and I am not trying to be facetious here. I genuinely would like to know what is so great about sub-0.2 Ohm builds. Right now I am running a 0.28 Ohm build in my Zenith V2 (with a VTC5), and I can honestly say that I don't think it's possible to get any denser of a cloud. I mean I don't think I even have the lung capacity to make the cloud any bigger than it is!! And the flavor is actually excellent.....

So, tell me. What am I missing by choosing not to build below .2 Ohms? Bragging rights? Or is it bigger than that? I just think the super sub-ohm "race" has become a pissing match of sorts......because I honestly don't think the my vape at .28 Ohms can get any better by going lower than i already am.....

Help me to understand what's so awesome about building that low....seriously.....there must be something that the "rest of us" are missing because it seems like it's getting very popular these days! :)

Last edited:

Daddy dan123

ECF Veteran
Feb 21, 2014
Ohio
Hey do you find that you loose flavor going that low. Cuz everyone always says the lower ohms you go the more flavor you loose. And I haven't gone past .6 and at the moment I'm at .78 but I don't ding what they say to be true. It seems the lower I go the flavor is still there or better. I'm only asking you since you say you're at .28

jpcwon

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2014
North Easton, MA
Hey do you find that you loose flavor going that low. Cuz everyone always says the lower ohms you go the more flavor you loose. And I haven't gone past .6 and at the moment I'm at .78 but I don't ding what they say to be true. It seems the lower I go the flavor is still there or better. I'm only asking you since you say you're at .28

Yeah the flavor is actually excellent at .28 to be honest. So I am in agreement with you... I haven't gone much below .28 (just don't see the need), but I can still get good flavor at .28 (with the right build)......Right now I am running a dual 24ga. micro coil "center post" build and the flavor is great....

So I think it depends on your build primarily....it's all about airflow and coil placement when you go low like that...

Last edited:

betterthanyou

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 10, 2013
southern california
OK then, say you're right. Can you then help us explain what the advantage is by going that low? Because surely there must be advantages, right? Is the vape better all-around? Better clouds?

and I am not trying to be facetious here. I genuinely would like to know what is so great about sub-0.2 Ohm builds. Right now I am running a 0.28 Ohm build in my Zenith V2 (with a VTC5), and I can honestly say that I don't think it's possible to get any denser of a cloud. I mean I don't think I even have the lung capacity to make the cloud any bigger than it is!! And the flavor is actually excellent.....

So, tell me. What am I missing by choosing not to build below .2 Ohms? Bragging rights? Or is it bigger than that? I just think the super sub-ohm "race" has become a pissing match of sorts......because I honestly don't think the my vape at .28 Ohms can get any better by going lower than i already am.....

Help me to understand what's so awesome about building that low....seriously.....there must be something that the "rest of us" are missing because it seems like it's getting very popular these days! :)

I applaud you for venturing into .28ohms and knowing your builds/battery specifications.

Here is the Sony VTC4 spec sheet
VTC4 Amp at pulse..jpg
There is nothing you are missing going any lower. You are "missing" the point I am trying to make about understanding battery specifications, builds, and resistances. I simply don't think just because guys on here read about subohm builds they are going to attempt something dangerous or something outside of their scope of experience. I think people have at least this much common sense.

I prefer right about .15ohms. The difference between my builds and yours are mine run hotter, with minimal excess vapor production. I drill all my RBAs for increased airflow to take care of most of the heat. So at .28 i'd say you're spot on. You're not missing anything vaping at .28

Daddy dan123

ECF Veteran
Feb 21, 2014
Ohio
See ima have to agree too. I know the atty also plays a role too. So you're just running a regular micro coil dual 24 gauge? What atty and how do you wick it. Am I asking too much to ask for a pic when your juice is low lol. I'm just not agreeing with he while loosing flavor the lower you go. I'm curious cuz I'm trying to get my explorer rda perfect. It's ok on flavor but it's beginning to be a pain in the ... lol since it doesn't have an igo-L chamber it's more of a kayfun charmer without the innards lol it's a huge 1/2 inch drip well but it's also pretty boxy in there lol.

jpcwon

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2014
North Easton, MA
I applaud you for venturing into .28ohms and knowing your builds/battery specifications.

Here is the Sony VTC4 spec sheet
View attachment 354113
There is nothing you are missing going any lower. You are "missing" the point I am trying to make about understanding battery specifications, builds, and resistances. I simply don't think just because guys on here read about subohm builds they are going to attempt something dangerous or something outside of their scope of experience. I think people have at least this much common sense.

I prefer right about .15ohms. The difference between my builds and yours are mine run hotter, with minimal excess vapor production. I drill all my RBAs for increased airflow to take care of most of the heat. So at .28 i'd say you're spot on. You're not missing anything vaping at .28

Thanks for the clarification man......Much appreciated!! :)

So according to the spec sheet, these batteries can handle much more we usually think they can.....80 Amps at 15 sec or less? That's pretty impressive actually!! So given the fact that probably none of us do longer than 15sec pulls, we should all be OK with the VTC5 (or VTC4) for the most part, as even super sub-ohm builds will not typically pull 80 amps (which, at 4.2 Volts, gives you a resistance of 0.05 Ohms).....I still won't go below .2 (21 Amps) just cuz that's how I am, but it's nice to know there's some more headroom to play with than most people think....

classwife

Admin
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 9, 2010
Wesley Chapel, Florida

Ok...whoa...

With anything that you venture into, knowledge is important, sometimes critically important.

Now, these discussions need to drop the attitudes., we don't have discussions this way here.

What's right and not risky for one person, is wrong and too risky for another...just like flavors...not everyone likes strawberry.

You can't fault people for not wanting others to have an error that gets them on the national news putting vaping in a bad light.
We just don't need that right now.

militiascene

ECF Veteran
You should never build any coil less than 0.3 ohm no matter what battery you use. You are too close to a dead short which can cause ANY battery to go into thermal runaway (battery meltdown).

I don't agree with this. I vape my ADV at between .15 and .19 on VTC5's every day. Don't ever have a problem and provides an outstanding vape. I do agree to educate yourself first but with the LiMn chemistry, you don't have to worry about batteries blowing up as much like the old ICR type batts. Everybody is still so stuck on the old battery experiences rather than the newer batts.

militiascene

ECF Veteran

Just to clarify, he is talking about using a mech mod which is not gonna be at 6 volts. At most, negligent of voltage drop, it will be 4.2V which will produce 176.4 watts at 42A. For the 60A pulse rating of a MNKE 26650, one could go to .07 ohms and again, that doesn't factor in voltage drop.

I do agree with the fact that people don't understand sub-ohming and therefore are scared. On my VTC5's I vape constantly at between 0.15 and 0.19 ohms producing up to 117 watts at 28A max draw. With a possible 0.1V drop, that comes to 112 watts and 27A draw.

It's not as big of a deal as people make it out to be with the LiMn IMR type batteries. Everybody needs to update their knowledge base before bashing vapers like us.

Vape on and stay happy

militiascene

ECF Veteran

I still get massive flavor on my DIY juices (max VG ~80-90%) on sub-ohm builds below 0.2 ohms. It all depends on your build and wicking skills. I love my setup right now. Doubled the dragon coil setup to make it a quad micro coil angled out with proper wicking on the outside of the coils. Granted, I do go through about 5mL a day, hence the DIY juices lol
CM140630-20385701.jpg CM140710-19263601.jpg

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com

Well, I'm not a sub ohm newbie. I use sub ohm coils pretty much exclusively (around 0.8 on my RTAs, around 0.4 on my RDAs), and I've been doing so way before you even vaped. I think I've pointed out in another thread that you asked very basic questions that demonstrated that you don't know very much only a few months ago, so you shouldn't claim to be an expert on sub ohming (or even vaping). You're trusting the accuracy of your multimeter/ohm reader too much when going that low, and even if the reading would happen to be spot on you'll be in trouble if your button gets stuck or the locking ring accidentally unscrews. It'll happen sooner or later, and 10 seconds is a really short time. Go by the continuous discharge rate of the battery and leave a safety margin.

militiascene

ECF Veteran
The lowest I've ever gone with a Hades clone with a EFest 26650 is 0.7 ohm. If I were to go down to 0.5 or less I'd use the Sony 26650
On the 26650, I run MNKE. Still haven't had much time to play with it yet though. Gonna mess around with the atty setup because the game changes with a big 28.5 mm RDA (Stillare Storm).

Well, I'm not a sub ohm newbie. I use sub ohm coils pretty much exclusively (around 0.8 on my RTAs, around 0.4 on my RDAs), and I've been doing so way before you even vaped. I think I've pointed out in another thread that you asked very basic questions that demonstrated that you don't know very much only a few months ago, so you shouldn't claim to be an expert on sub ohming (or even vaping). You're trusting the accuracy of your multimeter/ohm reader too much when going that low, and even if the reading would happen to be spot on you'll be in trouble if your button gets stuck or the locking ring accidentally unscrews. It'll happen sooner or later, and 10 seconds is a really short time. Go by the continuous discharge rate of the battery and leave a safety margin.

So, I know that technically, .8 and .4 ohms are both considered 'sub-ohm' but, no offense to anybody, it is laughable seeing these numbers in regards to battery safety. I think it's because I vape at around cloud chasing resistance all day, every day on drip (0.12-0.19 ohm).
As far as the continuous voltage comment, with the safety of the IMR batts today, the continuous discharge rating is posted somewhat low compared to reality. My guess is that it helps companies to avoid lawsuits, as in most cases of safety ratings. I've hit 30A VTC5's at .04 ohm on a stingray mech for 3-5 sec bursts and the batt didn't even get hot. On the other hand, if you're taking longer than a 10 sec hit on a 30A+ build, kudos. That's some hella lungs you have there. As far as 26650, with Sony rated at 50A and MNKE at 60A, that would require, on a mech, .07 ohm build with voltage drop negligible for the MNKE. Experience beats theory any day.

Vape on and be yourself

CRW78

ECF Veteran
Aug 11, 2013
San Antonio, TX, USA
Wonder why all the flaming at first over his seemingly honest target of .10? Most of my builds are between .06 and .09. I rarely go over .10 actually. I don't take 5 second pulls though either.
Lol!
To the OP, I too use a hades and I love it. The battery I run most (and need at least another) is a trustfire 5000mah. I have 2 MNKE
3500 and they pale in comparison to the trustfire. I N E V E R run anything less than .4 on any of my 18650 mods (except my dual box). I tried a .12 ohm in the W6 on my Maraxus and the button almost immediately got hot, and that was with a fresh vtc5...

overall, do a bit more research and make some informed decisions on what you want to do. If you don't wanna do the math, remember to immediately let go of that fire button when it heats up and give your mod a rest. If it burns your finger almost immediately after pressing it, I suggest you switch to another mod, or rebuild a higher ohm build. Lol!

sir_puffs_alot

ECF Veteran
Feb 27, 2014
Hillsborough, NJ, USA
no you meant 0.1...its ok...I subohm and im not gonna yell at you or make you feel dumb for asking about what alot of people are doing. It is a risk for sure and I dont suggest it BUT.... it can be done, I have done it and so have many many others many times... Most people who do cloud competitions go even lower which is getting really crazy. What i am trying to get to is that you can do it with the right batteries and know how. It seems you are new to this so i cant tell you its safe cuz its not, i suggest you wait a little untill you are more experienced with ohms law and batteries/ building before you try it. Then grab a Sony 50 amp and an ohm checker(a good one not some other crappy device lol, a dedicated ohm checker not a multimeter) and while being as safe as possible start takeing you builds from .5 a lil lower. After you have learned more about vaping and you have subohmed many times then in the privacy of you own home you can try super-subohm. As its dangerous i cant say its ok to do it in public. Just remember you are way above the cont. limit of the batts so short hits with a cool down period in between is best, do not chain vape. also be very conscious of shorts. If you hit that button and the atty doesnt fire do not hit it again(while saying why is it not working in your head) unscrew the mod and out the batt. Also check the mod temp and batt temp frequently the battery should not be getting hot, if it is stop immediately put the battery outside somewhere safe and let it cool down while making sure its not by anything flamable. I cant say following this will keep you safe but it will keep other and you safer. Check ohms check ohms check ohms, if you try to roll a dual coil at .1 and dont ohm it you can easily be putting a .3 or 4 on your mod which draws TONS more power than a .1ohm and i dont know of a battery that can handle that load. Also check battery condition before you attemp(check for dings/dents and tears in the shrinkwrap) Anyway hope this helps, rather keep ya safe by giving you the info rather than have you try it anyway unsafely.

bgohard1

Jun 22, 2014
DC
Hey guys,

I was wondering what the best 26650 battery is for sub ohm vaping. I'd say the lowest I'd go is 0.1 ohms. The reason I'm asking is because I ordered a Hades clone from Fast Tech, and I'm pretty lazy when it comes to figuring out the amperage output from separate batteries, what's safe, etc. I'm not a pro when it comes to mods, so that's why I'm asking you more experienced members.

Thank you. :)

I think if you plan on going as low as .10 ohm then you should not be "lazy" when it comes to amperage and battery safety. The battery vents, then pops. It's not like a pipe bomb like people say.. Butttt that doesn't mean you should not take battery safety lightly. But to your original question, I've used vtc5s and MNKE as low as .09 pulsing. And have my normal every day build between .18-.20 on a vtc5sand 26650 MNKEs. The question is, is this for a cloud comp or every day use? If the latter, .20 gives me satisfying clouds and taste. I'd raise your standard of .1 ohms

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread