Best way to convert my mom (smoker of 50+ years)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zedword

Mar 24, 2013
Kansas City
I love my mom and want her to be healthy and clean of cigs. She is 64 and has been smoking since she was 13. She is down to a half pack a day of Exeter FF 100s and Exeter FF Menthol 100s. She says she smokes because she enjoys smoking and doesn't see a point in quitting. She has no real brand loyalty or flavor preference, other than alternating between regular and menthol. She smokes Exeters for the price and they make her cough less than other brands.

In our conversation about her smoking habits, I discovered she in fact HAD tried e-cigs. When my dad was driving for a production company a year ago she would pick up gas station disposables because they could not smoke in the trucks or hotel rooms. She doesn't remember the brands, and always got menthol (but complained the menthol flavor was not strong enough).

My parents live on the road again in their RV, and I only see them a couple times a year. I want to get my mom set up with a good 808 set up and cartos. My dad is as gadget-y as I (it's where I got it from), and I know he will keep her gear in working order and cartos topped off. He is an ex-smoker and drinker that quit with hypno-therapy over 20 years ago.

Should I just drop off a couple of batteries and some 5-10 packs of FF and Menthol cartos and see if it sticks? What juices should I use? I read somewhere else that Halo's Prime 15 is a good "ashtray cig" flavor, but I'm really looking forward to her expanding to other flavors.

cags

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 27, 2011
east TN
I smoked for probably 40 years. I didn't want to quit, I just wanted to cut down from 2 1/2 pad to 1 pad. I ended up at 2 cigs a day (cause I'm old and I want them!)
I can't advise on equipment since I still mostly use slim joye 510s and egos.
but I have gotten some people to start vaping by approaching it as a cut down method, not a quit method. I tell them to vape when they can't smoke. that has made most of them at least cut back on cigs, and a couple actually quit smoking and only vape now.
for me, I vaped when I wanted a cig. then if I still wanted the cig I had it (guilt free). for the morning and after meals cigs (the hard ones for me to skip) I would delay. I delayed my am cig by 10 min. while vaping. then the next day I delayed 20 min. etc. you get the idea.
no pressure might be the best way to approach it
good luck and I'm sure people will come in with other ideas and help with equipment.

karlyb

ECF Veteran
Apr 15, 2013
I agree with the no pressure approach. It took me awhile after I tried the blu to come around to an ego type ecig. To this day when we go bowling tons of people will ask about it. shrug. Then go outside to smoke. I tell them I was once a smoker, and I enjoyed it, but vapor is better. Some people just have to explore and find it on their own.

Grandma SJA

ECF Veteran
Oct 11, 2010
kc mo
I am close to your moms age, and its been 4 years of vaping for me and I was a heavy smoker. Get her the good old ego standard to try with a few carto's is what I started with for 2 years. The easier the better. I would never have done it if I had to do all the expensive things that are out there now. The batteries last so much longer now and I still switch between Got Vapes clearomizers and cartomizers and really like both. Hope she has success as my doctor was so happy when he did my last lung x-ray and said my lungs are clear and I sound great. I was lucky. my Husband Bill is on his 4th month and loves how he does not cough, and how much better he can breathe and he was a mechanic for 30 years, smoking reds. Good luck to everyone, I have given people tons of cards and infomation and so far have seen 6 of our friends quitting and more are getting ready to try.

Maggiemw

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 23, 2013
Middle East
I am 60 and smoked at least a PAD, if not more, for over 40 years. I've only just made the transition to vaping, and am incredibly happy with the results. I would suggest getting her a couple of good quality Egos, with liquids that she can try. Just make sure that she has at least 2 sets, so that if something goes wrong or a battery runs out, she has a working back up - ask me how I know!

Then pretty much leave her alone. If she stops smoking cigarettes, great! If she only uses it some of the time, that's all right, too. Things happen as they happen in their own timeCreating the conditions for a successful experience is what you can do. Then she'll do the rest at her own rhythm.

zedword

Mar 24, 2013
Kansas City
A lot of Kansas City area peeps in this thread :)

I only see my parents a few times a year because they are on the road. They don't have proper mailing addresses when parked and aren't in most places long enough to wait for packages some times. I consider it a win if I can give her a couple of batteries and cartos to try out at her convenience. She isn't the kind of person to read forums or shop online, so it will be up to me (and my dad) to keep her in supply if she decides to switch over (or at least use vaping to cut down on smoking).

edit: I doubt I can get her to switch to eGo or anything that isn't a cig-a-like. I prefer 808s myself, so it is what I am most familiar and comfortable with. I have a 510, but never feel like I need it.

Leoleoleo

ECF Veteran
Mar 6, 2013
Montreal
I strongly agree with the whole "no pressure" approach being suggested by several posters in this thread.

If one of the complaints she had when she tried disposables was that the flavour was not strong enough, that may be a good way to get her interested. Many people here have been pulled into this rabbit hole by the desire to try out all these different flavours. You could pick up a bunch of different menthol flavours and leave her to find out which she likes best.

ok here is my suggestion
to anyone who wants to convert or trying to convince other people,

I personally believe its all about the FIRST VAPE PUFF, it should be really strong, even if the smoker is a light smoker, set up some high res cartos high voltage like 5.5 or even 6 if you wants and use a high nic juice 18mg at least for impressive throat hit and head spinning, people ALWAYS underestimate e cigs, so just demonstrate a full muscle show for immediate strong impression then you say that you can adjust every thing the way you like, this is how I made a lot of people to convert, but if you do the opposite, the first weak impression will stuck with them for a long time,,

so,,,,, even after all this, some people tend to relapse mainly because of 2 thing:
1- lack of continues battery supply (this is very important) , so when they are outside only with an ecig device and they ran out of battery, and they start nic craving with failed battery life, immediately they will visit the nearest shop for a real cigarettes to achieve satisfaction. so always prepare your self for this situation and don't let it happen with you, always carry a big battery for long trips or an
extra one.

2- which is less common, is the way they used to drag (pull) on a real cigarettes, so when you let them try an ecig they will apply the drag they used to apply on the real stuff, and this is a failure,its completely different, you have to tell them that using an ecig is different than using real cig, the drag on the ecig should be slower and longer drag, get it into your lungs, hold, then vape it a way.

try this with your mom, it might work….. nothing to lose.

Last edited:

jkd916

Jun 4, 2013
Kansas
I'm totally with you on this one, zedword! Btw, your UN totally makes me think of Shawn of the Dead! :thumbs:

I've only recently started vaping with a decent setup. My mom, who has been trying to quit analogs for near two months now is struggling on NRTs, but I think she is beginning to really notice how easy it has been for me to switch and has actually tried mine a couple of times out of curiosity. Even if you only see your parents a few times a year, perhaps having some flavors that might cater to her preferences in your stash for when she comes around could help. Have her try it out when she's around you and offer to get her a setup with the flavors she likes most? Perhaps, like my mother, she'll become more curious over time. Regardless of what you decide to do, I wish you luck in your endeavor!

Speaking of the many KC peeps, why isn't there a common thread for KC? Or have I just not found it yet? I'm in serious need of info on the vaping community here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread