Beware Who You Give Credit Card Info To

Status
Not open for further replies.

vaperature

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Oct 8, 2013
Chicago
This morning I woke up to find that someone in Beijing had taken nearly $200 from me by using my debit card. Master Card is really good so all I had to do was contact them and report it and I got the money back. But I was just trying to figure out how someone in China could possibly get my credit card information.

About five months ago I was placing an order for some real cheap e-cig gear and filled out everything at a certain website but when I realized the company was stationed in China I never completed the purchase. After that I was actually contacted more than once by a pushy person wanting to know why I didn't complete the purchase. It's a really well known company but I won't name them just in case they aren't responsible, I don't want to slander them, but they would have had all my credit card information since I was on the verge of completing the order before I decided not to.

But I highly suspect someone from the company got a hold of that information and tried to rip me off. Seems pretty hard to me to just randomly guess someone's credit card information since you would need the credit card number as well as the expiration date of the card usually to make a purchase like that.

So just a little warning to be careful who you give your credit card number to online. Luckily I was able to get the transaction canceled quickly because I get e-mail notices about all my transactions, but if I wasn't made aware of it that quickly the transaction could have been cashed out making it much harder to recover a loss like that.

Bigflyrodder

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 6, 2014
Boston, MA
Good advice, have to use a CC you trust for placing your vape orders and try to use companies that have good ratings. I had a small "test" purchase put against my card after one of my orders. I called the CC company as well as the company the order was placed with and got it squared away but it is a concern for sure. I've even thought about using a prepaid Visa card or something for vape purchased. Might help me set a budget too ;-).

vaperature

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Oct 8, 2013
Chicago
Good advice, have to use a CC you trust for placing your vape orders and try to use companies that have good ratings. I had a small "test" purchase put against my card after one of my orders. I called the CC company as well as the company the order was placed with and got it squared away but it is a concern for sure. I've even thought about using a prepaid Visa card or something for vape purchased. Might help me set a budget too ;-).

That's a good idea, to have a separate card with a very minimum balance on it to use for internet purchases.

Myrany

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2013
Louisiana
There was abig round last year of a security breach at the processor end and MANY vapers got bit with fraudulent charges. It wasn't the vape shops fault it was the processors they use (or so we worked out).

Ever since I use a reloadable visa. Just put on it what you want to spend relatively quickly. They can't hurt ya much that way.

Buggainok

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 1, 2014
oklahoma city ok usa
Credit card fraud unfortunately is rampant these days. I try to order from reliable vendors, and personally, I order only from those based in the U.S.

I use a Discover credit card, and that company is very good about notifying you if there seems to be anything unusual on your account. A couple of years ago at Christmas time, I had some unauthorized charges on Amazon, of all places, for gift cards using my Discover info.

Discover immediately refunded the charges to me, cancelled the card in question, and sent me another card by overnight Fed Ex.

I haven't had any issues since then, but I carefully look at my bill each month to be sure I actually made the purchases.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread