Brand New Newbie, Subox Safety Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

FalconLorenzo

Aug 18, 2015
Hello All,

I recently purchased a Subox Mini starter Kit that a friend recommended to me, after using his vape on a bachelor party trip.

I have some questions and concerns, however, and I cannot find any easily-accessible information really. Lots of stuff online just assumes you are a 6 year PhD candidate in vaping lol.

So i have this new Subox Mini. I charged the battery, prime the coil, loaded up some juice, and starting going. Then, after some googling, I see that the .6 ohm is a "subohm" coil and is "dangerous" unless you use it safely.

However, I can find nothing as to what exactly using it safely entails. Like I said, I have the .6 ohm coil in there. using LG HE2 18650 2500mAh - 35A batteries (included two for free on myvaporstore.com). It is set to 26.6W, but the Voltage meter constantly reads "0.0V." I have no idea what any of this means, really. Please direct me to any beginners guide to the topic to using this thing safely. Is there a real risk of it blowing up?

Also, what exactly are these "protections" that the subox mini has? Do these protect "idiot"/new users, like myself, from such risks?

Thanks in advance, I appreciate any and all guidance and help!

FalconLorenzo

Aug 18, 2015
Welcome! Must not have been too good of a bachelor party if you remembered anything :w00t: The stock coils that come with the kit are not dangerous to use. The thing you have to be careful of is the quality and rating of the batteries that you use.

Hahaha it was a pretty fun time all around! That's good to hear! Just wondering if you, or anybody else, knows if the batteries myvaporstore sold me, the LG HE2 18650 2500mAh - 35A, are good or if I should be looking for something else. If so, suggestions would be wonderful.

Thanks again for your welcome and reply!!

AXIOM_1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
  • Jul 6, 2015
    Pennsylvania, USA
    Hahaha it was a pretty fun time all around! That's good to hear! Just wondering if you, or anybody else, knows if the batteries myvaporstore sold me, the LG HE2 18650 2500mAh - 35A, are good or if I should be looking for something else. If so, suggestions would be wonderful.

Thanks again for your welcome and reply!!

The batteries that are suggested the most around here are the Sony VTC 4 or the Panasonic 25r

Sir2fyablyNutz

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 22, 2015
    West Virginia, USA
    The LG HE2's are good batteries for the power you are using.

On a "regulated mod" (like the Subbox) you can control the watts or the volts. So if you're set on the watts (26.6), the mod will set the volts (as a safety issue). It's the same if you set the volts, the mod will control the watts. This is to keep you in the safe vape zone. (idiot proof issue)

I doubt there is much risk for you to blow it up (but it is electronic, like a laptop or cell phone), but it is highly recommended to use a separate quality battery charger to charge the batteries rather than the port on the mod. Most battery fails occur during charging (from reading this forum).

You're good to go. (and send pics of the party)

yuseffuhler

Ultra Member
    Mar 28, 2015
    Houghton, MI
    Hello All,

I recently purchased a Subox Mini starter Kit that a friend recommended to me, after using his vape on a bachelor party trip.

I have some questions and concerns, however, and I cannot find any easily-accessible information really. Lots of stuff online just assumes you are a 6 year PhD candidate in Vaping lol.

So i have this new Subox Mini. I charged the battery, prime the coil, loaded up some juice, and starting going. Then, after some googling, I see that the .6 ohm is a "subohm" coil and is "dangerous" unless you use it safely.

However, I can find nothing as to what exactly using it safely entails. Like I said, I have the .6 ohm coil in there. using LG HE2 18650 2500mAh - 35A batteries (included two for free on myvaporstore.com). It is set to 26.6W, but the Voltage meter constantly reads "0.0V." I have no idea what any of this means, really. Please direct me to any beginners guide to the topic to using this thing safely. Is there a real risk of it blowing up?

Also, what exactly are these "protections" that the subox mini has? Do these protect "idiot"/new users, like myself, from such risks?

Thanks in advance, I appreciate any and all guidance and help!
    The reason it's reading 0.0 volts is because that's a real time number. Watch it in the mirror while you vape or just hold it up and press the button. You'll see that number change. Regarding the LG HE2 battery, I believe it's a 20A battery, which is perfectly fine for your application. As far as that subohm coil being dangerous, it really doesn't apply with the mod and battery you're using. If the resistance drops too low, the mod will sense it and won't fire. The only real way to blow it up would be to use a battery that can't handle the power you're putting to the coil, which is not possible with your mod and battery.

Reactions: FalconLorenzo

FalconLorenzo

Aug 18, 2015
    The reason it's reading 0.0 volts is because that's a real time number. Watch it in the mirror while you vape or just hold it up and press the button. You'll see that number change. Regarding the LG HE2 battery, I believe it's a 20A battery, which is perfectly fine for your application. As far as that subohm coil being dangerous, it really doesn't apply with the mod and battery you're using. If the resistance drops too low, the mod will sense it and won't fire. The only real way to blow it up would be to use a battery that can't handle the power you're putting to the coil, which is not possible with your mod and battery.

Thanks a bunch!!

Good to know that my batteries are a-okay! Also good to know that the system is pretty idiot-proof. I'm loving it so far but was real worried after like 5 minutes of a google search that it was going to blow up in my face if i wasn't proactive. glad to hear it wasn't the case.

I will definitely vape in the mirror and look for the real time voltage to change, just to see lol

Reactions: yuseffuhler

FalconLorenzo

Aug 18, 2015
    The Subox is regulated, it's pretty hard to get in trouble with one. Mechanical mods are the ones where you must carefully watch your ohm loading to be sure you don't exceed your battery's capacity. You'll be fine, your machine has circuitry to watch that for you.

This is great to hear. Outside of the answer to my question, can you or anybody else explain to me what a mechanical mod is? I genuinely don't know if I'm just not googling hard enough but every search that I pull assumes I have a certain amount of knowledge on the subject, and it absolutely alienates me from reading further.

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 22, 2014
    Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
    This is great to hear. Outside of the answer to my question, can you or anybody else explain to me what a mechanical mod is? I genuinely don't know if I'm just not googling hard enough but every search that I pull assumes I have a certain amount of knowledge on the subject, and it absolutely alienates me from reading further.
    Essentially, a "mechanical mod" is one lacking electrical or electronics components. The archetype is the "tube mod," a simple metallic tube containing a battery with a 510 thread on top. The + battery pole makes direct contact with the 510 center pin (or the positive contact of the atomizer itself in a hybrid or faux-hybrid configuration.) The bottom of the tube has a spring or magnetic loaded button which, when pressed, contacts the negative pole of the battery, completing the circuit through the metallic body of the mod itself to the outer 510 threads on the atomizer. Next up would be a "mechanical box" mod. Usually, two (or more) batteries in a parallel connection, providing the same voltage as a single battery, but double the one battery amperage. Series boxes are possible and do exist; the batteries are connected "head to tail," providing double voltage and one battery's worth of amperage. Many box type mods are fashioned of non conductive materials, viz. wood or plastics, and thus must use wires to make the circuit. Some are "mechanical" in that they use a similar spring loaded conductor arrangement to complete the circuit; others use an actual switch component. Next along the trail is what I think of as an "electro-mech." These are similar to the above (usually multiple battery boxes) in which the switch or mechanical circuit actuator is replaced by an electronic component (sometimes several, one for each battery) called a MOSFET. This is, effectively, an electronic "switch"-- it's more complex than that, but they can be used for switching-- in which a tiny current is used as a signal to switch a much larger current. This is done because vape gear can easily generate tens of amps of current--that's a lot-- and high current switches are large, bulky, heavy and expensive. Thus a tiny switch and a cheap piece of silicon can replace a gigantic, clunky pushbutton switch. All of these can be thought of as "mechanical" mods. Generically, the term means, in practice, "limited to battery voltage." That's important because electricity operates by Ohms Law, which defines a rigid relationship between Volts, Amps and Ohms (and also controls Watts, although they are not contemplated in Ohms Law.) In a mech, your voltage is always what your battery is putting out; in practical terms this means somewhere between 3.5 and 4.2 volts. Thus, the only way to control wattage (the amount of power applied to the coil) is by adjusting the coil resistance. For any given voltage, less ohms means more watts (and amps!). That's how people get in trouble with mechs. They want more power on the coil (to make bigger cloud) so they build their coils lower and lower. Eventually, they get so low the amps being drawn by the atomizer exceed the battery's capacity to provide current. That's when it goes boom. This is a serious safety issue; you would be correct to concern yourself with low builds if you were using a mech.

Your mod, however, doesn't work like that. You have a "regulated" mod. The big difference between them is regulateds are equipped with an electronic component called a voltage regulator. Because of this part, the voltage applied to the atomizer is *not* limited to the battery voltage. This is much more flexible and safer by a long road. Variable voltage mods exist, but nowadays they are few and far between. Right off the bat the only one I recall is the Hexohm mod, even Provari has gone to variable wattage; so I won't discuss VV unless you just want to hear it. The common adaptation is a variable wattage mod; this is the kind you have. In a VW machine measures the atomizer resistance and, using its voltage regulator circuit, applies whatever voltage (within its limits, of course) may be required to make however many watts you have set on the machine. These type of machines also are set up with limits to prevent you from smoking a battery, provided you use a battery within the machine specs. That's not a problem for you, your Subox is limited to 50 watts, but some high wattage machines make a lot more. If you put a 10 A battery in a machine that needs 20 A, then run it wide open, you could have a problem.

Anyway, there's an outline. It should get you started. Feel free to ask more questions.

Reactions: itskohler
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread