Break-even day and how to do this cheaply

Status
Not open for further replies.

HeadLikeOrange

ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2011
Massachusetts, USA
I don't normally go for the useless, toot-my-own-horn thread topics, but I'm proud to announce that as of today, after 47 days vaping and analog-free, I have finally broken even.

I use an Excel sheet to track every penny I spend on PV gear, and compare that to my old $8.50/day 'log habit. After spending just over $400 on PV goods, I'm in the black, with ~100ML of my all-day juice, another 60ML of exotic juices, 4 batts, 3 attys and 30 cartos in my tackle box.

I realize most people aren't really looking to save money by vaping, but if you are, I offer the following tips. Again, this is not general advice -- I absolutely see the fun and value of trying lots of mods, juices, etc. This is just for you cheapskates like me:

• Don't throw good money after bad. If you've gotten a junk mall/gas station device (NJOY for me) don't spend extra trying to find obscure-sized cartos, adapters, or whatever to salvage the investment. It isn't going to work (I spent almost $200 on NJOY junk) -- just bite the bullet and get a better model. Better yet, do your research first and don't buy a junk model at all.
  • Find an all-day juice, and learn to DIY it yourself. I brew a nice RY4 variation for about $25/150ML. I still buy exotic flavors when I need some hardware (like cartos or a replacement battery) and drip them at night, to keep my taste buds on their toes.
  • 3.7V is 3.7V is 3.7V. If you've got one device delivering at 3.7V (Riva, ePower, other mod, etc.), why get another? I see so many signatures listing devices, and there's multiple 3.7V mods on there. Again, if you're into the fun of having lots of different-looking mods, or you like building them, that's awesome. For us skinflints, one 3.7V device has to be enough. There may be nuances to the mods, battery types, etc, but us cheapos can't afford to worry about them.
  • If 3.7V doesn't cut it and you want more, go all-in and get a ProVari/Darwin/LavaTube and that's it. You're not allowed to get another mod because you've got the best already and this is supposed to be about saving.
  • Don't window shop. I love spending hours looking at the various vendor sites as much as anyone. The only problem is that the only way (for me) to stop is to order something.
It's not as fun as having a desk covered and filled with mods, juices, etc., etc.. But, for people looking for something healthier and cheaper than smoking, it can be done.

wdave

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 11, 2009
Cincinnati, OH
I don't normally go for the useless, toot-my-own-horn thread topics, but I'm proud to announce that as of today, after 47 days vaping and analog-free, I have finally broken even.

I use an Excel sheet to track every penny I spend on PV gear, and compare that to my old $8.50/day 'log habit. After spending just over $400 on PV goods, I'm in the black, with ~100ML of my all-day juice, another 60ML of exotic juices, 4 batts, 3 attys and 30 cartos in my tackle box.

I realize most people aren't really looking to save money by vaping, but if you are, I offer the following tips. Again, this is not general advice -- I absolutely see the fun and value of trying lots of mods, juices, etc. This is just for you cheapskates like me:

• Don't throw good money after bad. If you've gotten a junk mall/gas station device (NJOY for me) don't spend extra trying to find obscure-sized cartos, adapters, or whatever to salvage the investment. It isn't going to work (I spent almost $200 on NJOY junk) -- just bite the bullet and get a better model. Better yet, do your research first and don't buy a junk model at all.
  • Find an all-day juice, and learn to DIY it yourself. I brew a nice RY4 variation for about $25/150ML. I still buy exotic flavors when I need some hardware (like cartos or a replacement battery) and drip them at night, to keep my taste buds on their toes.
  • 3.7V is 3.7V is 3.7V. If you've got one device delivering at 3.7V (Riva, ePower, other mod, etc.), why get another? I see so many signatures listing devices, and there's multiple 3.7V mods on there. Again, if you're into the fun of having lots of different-looking mods, or you like building them, that's awesome. For us skinflints, one 3.7V device has to be enough. There may be nuances to the mods, battery types, etc, but us cheapos can't afford to worry about them.
  • If 3.7V doesn't cut it and you want more, go all-in and get a ProVari/Darwin/LavaTube and that's it. You're not allowed to get another mod because you've got the best already and this is supposed to be about saving.
  • Don't window shop. I love spending hours looking at the various vendor sites as much as anyone. The only problem is that the only way (for me) to stop is to order something.
It's not as fun as having a desk covered and filled with mods, juices, etc., etc.. But, for people looking for something healthier and cheaper than smoking, it can be done.

Take the cotton out of your ears.

CaminoDiablo

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 30, 2010
East Pembroke NY
If 3.7V doesn't cut it and you want more, go all-in and get a ProVari/Darwin/LavaTube and that's it. You're not allowed to get another mod because you've got the best already and this is supposed to be about saving.

Wish I could agree, got my provari in feb/march and I still bought mods for different reasons. My big advancement was a mod with a rebuildable coil. Costs me 5 cents to replace the coil. That said the field has opened to a bigger better options. Also I have a Copperhead 7.4 volt that is mind blowing. Could never get that from my provari

HeadLikeOrange

ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2011
Massachusetts, USA
Wish I could agree, got my provari in feb/march and I still bought mods for different reasons. My big advancement was a mod with a rebuildable coil. Costs me 5 cents to replace the coil. That said the field has opened to a bigger better options. Also I have a Copperhead 7.4 volt that is mind blowing. Could never get that from my provari

Sure, I completely see what you are saying. My advice is for the person trying to vape as cheaply as possible, bare minimum. Believe me, I want to own pretty much every mod I see.

HeadLikeOrange

ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2011
Massachusetts, USA
Congrats on breaking even! I broke even a while back, and its how I justfy to my wife to get new vape stuff. "but honey, I was spending x amount on cigs every day, now I am just spending Y amount. I saving money and my healthy and I not a crabby monster that hates my life without nicotine"

I've been lying to Mrs. Orange about how much this all costs and using that line from day one. In exchange, I look the other way on her trips to the mall when she comes home with 3 shopping bags and tells me she spent "oh, about $75...".

Spazmelda

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2011
Ohio
I've been lying to Mrs. Orange about how much this all costs and using that line from day one. In exchange, I look the other way on her trips to the mall when she comes home with 3 shopping bags and tells me she spent "oh, about $75...".

Nice! I've been encouraging Mr. Spazmelda to go ahead and join that 3rd poker league because the more he wastes spends on his stupid fascinating and addictive hobby the more I can justify spending on mine.

MegaBee

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 29, 2011
Queensland Australia
I hear ya!! Yesterday after my package from China came, I kinda realised Im set for a while now, such a relief. I have over 10 bottles of juice most are 10ml size. 4 ego batteries, 6 atties, lots of cartridges and some fishtank filter stuff for reusing my cartridges.. lol I think with just the occasional purchase of juice to make sure I dont run out I should be fine for ages :) thanks to all the advice from this forum I dont have those panic attacks about running out of juice or a broken atty or a battery has died. I believe now I can sit back and enjoy the ride <3

HeadLikeOrange

ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2011
Massachusetts, USA
Even with the cotton out of my ears it still says:

" For us skinflints, one 3.7V device has to be enough."

I'm just saying it should be two. Even skin flints need to be practical.

I stated that I have 4 batteries (2 Riva, 2 eGo) By device, I really mean model, which for me when referring to a Riva or eGo, includes 2 batts. But I was really talking about mods (which generally have removable batteries, so you could have just one device, multiple batts... I digress).

Anyway, totally agree with you. Minimum on-hand hardware for me would be:
3 batts (so you always have 2 in rotation if one dies)
2 chargers
2 atomizers at your preferred resistance
10 cartos

HeadLikeOrange

ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2011
Massachusetts, USA
I hear ya!! Yesterday after my package from China came, I kinda realised Im set for a while now, such a relief. I have over 10 bottles of juice most are 10ml size. 4 ego batteries, 6 atties, lots of cartridges and some fishtank filter stuff for reusing my cartridges.. lol I think with just the occasional purchase of juice to make sure I dont run out I should be fine for ages :) thanks to all the advice from this forum I dont have those panic attacks about running out of juice or a broken atty or a battery has died. I believe now I can sit back and enjoy the ride <3

Yeah, you are in good shape, though you'll probably want some cartomizers for when you finally get too fed up with using cartridges.

mooreted

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 10, 2011
California
I stated that I have 4 batteries (2 Riva, 2 eGo) By device, I really mean model, which for me when referring to a Riva or eGo, includes 2 batts. But I was really talking about mods (which generally have removable batteries, so you could have just one device, multiple batts... I digress).

Anyway, totally agree with you. Minimum on-hand hardware for me would be:
3 batts (so you always have 2 in rotation if one dies)
2 chargers
2 atomizers at your preferred resistance
10 cartos

Yup, that would do it. I'm sporting one battery right now and it makes me nervous. I really need to order another just in case.

mylose64

ECF Veteran
Mar 18, 2011
Savannah, GA
I cannot agree with HeadLikeOrange more.

I've spent SO MUCH money on crap because I wanted a cooler looking pv, or I wanted to buy parts for my NJOY.

After all the money I've spent, I still find that my Riva 510 is the only battery I should have stayed with, which happened to be my first purchase.

Since it's over 8 months old and totally worn out, My Volt kit will be replacing it, which is 3.6-3.7 volts. After I get the Volt, I'm going to try my hardest to not buy anything else!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread