Broken window? No problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.

even_keel

Verified Member
Mar 14, 2013
Costa Mesa, CA
So I broke my window re-installing it after I had my Provari powder coated. I was pretty bummed and since my device is out of warranty, I wanted to try and fix it myself. 15 minutes later, I have a new window. Here's how:

Step 1: Procure a thin (I think the brand was Glad) plastic tupperware square bowl, like this... but without the textured portion. I had one lying around, so it was free :)

imgur: the simple image sharer

Step 2: Grab your broken window to compare sizes. The mounting tabs broke off on mine, so this should be a cm or two longer

Step 3: Using your broken window as a guide, cut out a slightly larger piece (to allow for error/trimming) of the tupperware container from the rounded/bent section. The picture below is of a test piece I did with a flat section. This was just about the right size, but didn't have the necessary curvature that you need to match the curves of the device.

Step 4: I lined the new window up in the device (after removing the battery, button, and chip/cap) and poked a hole through the plastic with a push pin. Since you used the thinner, more flexible tupperware, this is super easy. I widened the hole with the push pin slowly, checking with the window screws until they threaded in on their own. After screwing in one side of the window, poke a hole through the second screw hole on the device through the plastic. I then removed the window to widen the hole and thread the screw through. Once it threaded I just slid it into the tube and screwed it in. Here's how it looks completed!

While the window doesn't sit flush with the outer diameter of the tube (like it does from the factory) this is still a quick and easy solution that was free. Hope this helps some of you!

even_keel

Verified Member
Mar 14, 2013
Costa Mesa, CA
Really nice job can barely even tell! Though personally I would have contacted Provape to see what sort of arrangement could be worked out to get that replaced. :)

Yeah I contacted Provape earlier today and it would have been $10 to have replaced. I'll most likely end up getting it replaced... eventually. I just wanted something temporary so the electronics weren't exposed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread