sy6y9y6y.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1382238539727.jpg

Any tips on improving my building would be greatly appreciated
Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

BigDaddio

Sep 8, 2013
United States
First you have three posts. One coil center to outside, other coil center to other outside. Try and use the same amount of wire for each coil. So they match. I wrap my coils on a drill bit, a small screwdriver, a small bolt makes a great wrap. Then use tweezers to push the wick into the coil.

A great wick material is cotton, I use Sugar and Cream, white cotton yarn I got at walmart for $10. The only issue with cotton is do not fire it dry. It burns and stinks and of course tastes like crap. But you will prob not in your lifetime use that roll of cotton yarn.

StarDose

ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2013
Brampton
I personally don't like 3mm ekowool its just too big to work with to wrap a decent coil. As already mentioned go with micro or nano coils with cotton, a bag of organic cotton balls is super cheap and will last forever. Besides that you can replace the cotton wick in seconds compared to having to replace the whole coil with ekowool.

Biff_Whipster

Verified Member
Jun 19, 2013
Austin
Whats the differences between micro and nano?

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2

I can't find much out there on 'nano' coils. From what I gather it's a loose term for even smaller micro coils. I've done a few wraps using a syringe as opposed to a drill bit or nail to get a very vet small coil.

dobrun

Mar 28, 2013
Washington DC
I am now making very small coils from 30 ga kanthal and rebuilding the heads for a Kanger Protank II (and others). 8/9 coils, pinched together with pliers and then heated with a butane torch before wiring into a head. Then I thread with cotton wick (100% untreated cotton, rolled into a very tiny wick and pushed through). I leave about 5 mm on each end, just tucked into the space between the head and the protank. Vapes well at 1.5 ohms/3.7v - great taste and no burning and a useful set up for mech mods without a kick. Every couple of days, Just rebuild another protank head or wash out the coil, dry burn and then insert a new wick. This seems to work well for me.

Mikerachy

ECF Veteran
Aug 6, 2013
HI
Hmmm....checklist of what I do when building:
-build
-build
-tighten screws snuggly
-and build
It takes practice. Personally, I like cotton because it's easy to work with and tastes smoooooooth, but that doesn't mean you should abandon your ekowool. Remember, with ekowool (or silica), don't over tighten your wraps or you'll just be choking it making wicking almost impossible.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Micro coil is a misnomer. I am with GrimGreen on this "MicroCoils are just tightly wound small coils usually off the wick then the wick is added. Back when we used to make them for electronic devices we just called them coils...

It's just a name used to differentiate coil designs. The terms nano coil and mini coil are also in use. I'm sure there are more and there will be more in time. People need to be able to communicate and it's easier to do that with design names than by giving dimensions each time :thumb:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread