Built a UCC283T-ADJ LDO regulator Snus Tin Mod

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dothan

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 23, 2012
Dothan, Alabama
I found an old thread, and borrowed Mamu's wiring plan, and put together a VV UCC283T-ADJ LDO regulator snus tin this morning. It has a larger range than I need, so is good... playing, I've got as low as 2.3 and up to 8.4 volts. I've vaped with it for several hours at 4.2, with a 2.4 Evol, and the batteries are holding well.

IMG_0134.jpg IMG_0138.jpg IMG_0139.jpg IMG_0140.jpg IMG_0141.jpg

Dothan

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 23, 2012
Dothan, Alabama
This is another retired mod... the UCC283T-ADJ LDO regulator produces a good, consistent vape, but in a Snus box, nested between two batteries, the heat it generates is scarey! My concern is when you hit the mod for two or three hard hits, even with heat sink, it's heating up the batteries quite a bit... That can't be good for battery life or safety!!! Oh well, the fun's in the research, and building, back to that again!!! Any recommendations are welcome! I'm being realistic, I want to build a DNA, but until I get more positive of my building skills, I'm not risking $50 to a slip of the soldering iron :ohmy:

Dothan

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 23, 2012
Dothan, Alabama
I was going to ask about that, those batteries aren't really ecig caliber. But I couldn't really decipher the datasheet of the regulator you were using. I can't reconcile the voltages you got with what the datasheet says.

Ha! old batteries from the back of a drawer. The Snus tin is a cheap box for experimental building... under 3 bucks and dump.. just is limited to small batteries... even if not a ecig caliber battery, they were good enough to test the chip with... if it wasn't a furnace, size wise and price wise, it would have make a sweet dual 18650 mod! Data sheet, I'm not sure, just reading my meter...

Dothan

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 23, 2012
Dothan, Alabama
no, I knew quite a bit about the regulator before ordering it. I also knew that this regulator was safely utilized by multiple respected mod builders, you might scan the forum for a document "Double 18650 VV Regulated Flip-Top Mod" by Mamu. I felt comfortable enough after reading through that and several threads on this and other forums that I frankly did not feel the need to memorize the data sheet, I reviewed it, and my limited knowledge, I went forward feeling comfortable with the regulator. If you look at the pictures that I posted, the voltages I mentioned are showing... Just because a device has a range available, certainly doesn't mean I will use it... that said, it is disassembled and all the parts setting ready for my next build in my quest for the mod that makes me happy...

DrMA

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2013
Seattle area
The UCC283T is a linear regulator best suited for low input-to-output differential applications. Because it dissipates excess voltage as heat, it will overheat quite easily when you're inputting 7.4V (nominal) and setting the output to 4V. Let's say you vape at 3A, then the voltage difference of 3.4V would generate 10.2W of heat. That's enough power to vape on:blink:

Phestr

Verified Member
Jun 11, 2013
Oklahoma City

Dothan

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 23, 2012
Dothan, Alabama
I have read the LM2596 thread end to end more to once, and have built 4 LM2596 Altoids Tin boxes all given to friends, and have a desktop LM2596 in a Radio Shack project box that has a 19.2 volt computer power supply powering it. I want to build smaller... the LM2596 is great, but the size of box required is my only issue. I had built straight battery boxes using eclipse tins and external battery boxes, but want to have the flexibility of VV, without carrying a brick. I'm realstc, I can't see myself laying out 50 dollars for a dna, that my sausage fingers would more than likely break the cable before I got the box completed, so reading through the threads for alternatives that fit my current build level and not drive my wife crazy on how much money I dump into my quest. I'm thinking a ork-t for my next project, similar to Phestr's.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread