Status
Not open for further replies.

aboynamedbear

Jul 18, 2013
San Diego
I recently came back to vaping after about three months. I started out with a lava tube and a 306 atomizer and was hooked until I decided to start getting into tanks. I went through a vivi nova kanger t3 and an iclear 16 all with the same result. A distinct burning taste that would completely overpower any other flavor. It tasted like the wick was burning but when i would disassemble the atomizer the wicks were still clear. I decided last week to get back into vaping and purchased the KTS telescopic storm flat top model ,a kanger protank , an efest protected 18650 battery 3000 Ah, and sticky bun from mount baker vapor 65%pg 35%vg. everything was going great for a day then about a tank in (refilled at half way) the burnt taste was back. I proceeded to try changing the coil and replacing the liquid,removing the flavor wick, rebuilding the coil, and purchasing a 5 pack of 1.8-2.1 ohm coils. None of these steps seemed to remedy the problem. also i always make sure the wicks are saturated before taking my first drag. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as i am kind of going crazy :blink:.

Boyz-Mom

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 4, 2013
San Antonio, TX
I get the burnt taste too. I just stopped at a local store and purchased a new flavor. Loved it for the first fre puffs and now it tastes like toasted grapes. Not so yummy. I have a gogo with cartomisers. I know nothing about coils or changing wicks. I don't think I even can. Getting frustrated with this. It happens all the time. I don't chain vape. Keep it on its side. Arg

aboynamedbear

Jul 18, 2013
San Diego
Wow id just like to say that i greatly underestimated the response i would get on this forum. i have already tried removing the flavor wicks and tried buying new coils. the protank is a bottom coil tank so i don't think there's much i can do. im gonna try and loosen the bottom just to the point where it wont leak however i just purchased an itaste svd and an igo L rda online. i figure if i cant solve the problem with 2 mods and 2 tanks. Vaping might just not be for me. also thanks for all the input im happy to say that this seems to be the most responsive forum I've been on to date.

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
And what voltage are your running these things at? In your OP you stated they were 1.8 to 2.2 ohm devices. Run them at too high a voltage and you will get dry hits - you are running the coils too hot and they are evaporating liquid faster than the wicking can transfer it. LR coils don't need to be run at high voltage. Quite the opposite, actually.

I had an experience with my protank in wich the base didn't actually sit flush with the tank and it created air flow issues I didn't know how to identify at the time, buying a new base solved that issue. The most important issue facing any system requiring saturation or wicking is the pg/vg ratio. I have found60/40 pg/vg to perform well in cartos and clearos. anymore vg than that and you will have issues. I know the thread starter stated that their juice was atleast 65% pg so that being ruled out I would next look to wicking issues, loosening is a odd work around and never seems to solve air flow issues permanently without inevitable leaks. Your RBAs could be wrapped to tightly in the same fashion that Boyz-mom mouth piece needed to come away from the wick to enable juice flow, try looser wrapped wicks and watch a bunch more RBA guide videos. after that your main suspects would be voltage or airflow. If your pro-tank heads are low or standard resistance as most I have seen they wont need anything more than 5v (if I am wrong correct me.) so ensure your running in an appropriate range. And before you walk away all together, go with Wv2wins suggestion of a carto tank. I still use carto tanks primarily outside the house and always suggest them to frustrated vapers, very reliable and easy. I also personally think that carto vapor has a dryer more smoke like hit to it.

http://www.myvaporstore.com/Smoktech_DCTank_s/87.htm

I have used these for the last 4 months and have just recently purchased a few of the other smoktec tanks and am really happy with them as a workhorse when I don't feel like building or am in a rush. I always use single coil cartomizers instead of the Dual's for my ego batteries or anything regulated under 3.7 volts because I read about it being danergous otherwise lol, not to put you off. RBA not for everyone and without a lot of guidance its all hard knocks. I would avoid RBA till you get comfy with another system. A clearo is going to leak at some point, and when that time comes you have to dump it clean it and let it dry before reassembly to really solve the issue. also pinching and wicking and all that. Hassle that doesn't exist with carto tanks. Dripping is something I do only for juice flavors that only come in VG 100%. which isn't much, and I use RBA for that about 80% of that time. to start drippig you just need and old fashioned bridgeless atty a drip shield and tip. disposable again for peace of mind. Hope to have been of some help, its paramount to get past the learning curves headache to enjoy moving away from tobacco, if that's your motive.

Last edited:

glowplug

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 1, 2013
Lakewood, CO USA
I only use bcc at this point and I only get a burnt taste when I change batteries! Weird? Probably, but that is me all the way. It seems that my Kanger evod battery will be just great. When it runs down I switch to a "clone" eGo. At least it doesn't have any logo on it anywhere so I assume it is a clone. Same clearo, burnt taste. I have read that some batteries just put out too many volts at times and that this might be the problem when the battery is freshly charged. I have been letting them "cool" off of the charger even though they don't feel warm (advice on one of the threads here). If I just set it aside for a few minutes, the burnt taste is gone when I go back to it. Doubt this helps, but who knows? It is worth mentioning, maybe?:?:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread