Burnt Taste at 5v

Status
Not open for further replies.

cosciss

Jan 24, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
First, I built a Nicostick (3.7v), and I love It. Then I built a 5v (3AA box)mod with a 5v regulator. I purchased everything from Madvapes. I used their instructions for both mods. I am using 510 attys and 14500 batteries. I am using Nhalers Hi Voltage juice.

With the 5v mod and a stock 2.3 ohm atty, it shuts off after a second and I have to turn it off and back on or remove the batteries and put them back in. with a 3 ohm (2.9 - 3.2 ohm) atty it works but it tastes burnt.

I have checked the output with a multimeter 3 different times and it is 5v

I have cleaned the attys, tried them at 3.7v and they taste fine, try them at 5v and it tastes burnt.

If i use a 4.5 ohm atty, it would end up being the same wattage as using a stock atty at 3.7v

Everyone says 5v is the sweet spot so I am not sure what I am missing so any info would he helpfull

Thanks

Dave_uk

Mar 31, 2010
Scotland UK
Soooo....just to recap.

With a load of 2.17 amps its shutting down, but with a load of about 1.6 amps its ok

It may be the regulator.. did you use the 1.5 amp version or the 3 or 5 amp ?

It could also be a battery issue ... so measure if any voltage is reaching the regulator when it shuts down, if not then measure the voltage across each battery and see if 1 is causing the problem.

WillyB

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2009
USA
First, I built a Nicostick (3.7v), and I love It. Then I built a 5v (3AA box)mod with a 5v regulator. I purchased everything from Madvapes. I used their instructions for both mods. I am using 510 attys and 14500 batteries. I am using Nhalers Hi Voltage juice.

With the 5v mod and a stock 2.3 ohm atty, it shuts off after a second and I have to turn it off and back on or remove the batteries and put them back in. with a 3 ohm (2.9 - 3.2 ohm) atty it works but it tastes burnt.

I have checked the output with a multimeter 3 different times and it is 5v

I have cleaned the attys, tried them at 3.7v and they taste fine, try them at 5v and it tastes burnt.

If i use a 4.5 ohm atty, it would end up being the same wattage as using a stock atty at 3.7v

Everyone says 5v is the sweet spot so I am not sure what I am missing so any info would he helpfull

Thanks
You aren't the first to have this problem with Joye atties. The high quality TI regulators are a much better option.

Digi-Key - 296-8157-5-ND (Manufacturer - UCC383T-5)

As far as the burnt taste you'll have to experiment with different variables. Length of hit, atty wetness, or maybe just a different liquid. At 3 some ohms @ 5V, 9 watts doesn't seem too extreme. It's a shame you can't try the Joyes as many use them at 5+V without the burnt taste you mention.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread