Not open for further replies.

dom qp

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 15, 2015
South Central... Ontario
Hello friends & colleagues,

My mod (Asmodus Minikin Boost) is no longer with us. I need to buy a new one, and potentially a new tank.

I was hoping by creating this thread I could get your input on my thought process and also detail that process for newer members. This way I could get some feedback from the userbase to help me make my decision, and there could also be an example of the things to think about for newer members looking around for information.

Criteria:
This has to do with my personal vaping style. After asking myself how I like to vape, I came up with a list of criteria that will help me pick my mod.
  • I like ~25mm RTAs/RDTAs
  • I usually vape single coils @ 0.2 to 0.4 ohms; occasionally dual coils at 0.15 to 0.3 ohms
  • I make my own coils using NI80/Kanthal
  • I work from home and chain vape all day
  • I can use 15-30ml a day in e-liquid
  • I want a regulated mod for ease of use and safety
  • It needs to be relatively portable because I don't like switching mods when I leave the house
  • I like box mods, but I also like mods shaped like the Minikin V2 or Reuleaux
  • I don't like mods that look cheesy (gold/wood/carbon fibre/look like a DeWalt power tool or transformer)

Wattage (How much power do I need?)
Relevant criteria:
  • I usually vape single coils @ 0.2 to 0.4 ohms; occasionally dual coils at 0.15 to 0.3 ohms
We need to determine the maximum wattage I would ever use. Using my preferences above I plug this into an ohm's law calculator: Ohm's law | Steam Engine | free vaping calculators
  • Resistance: 0.15 ohms
  • Voltage: 4.2 volts (this is usually the sweet spot)
The above gives me a power requirement of 117.60 watts. This means I need a device that is ~120W.

Batteries (How many batteries do I need?)
Relevant criteria:
  • I work from home and chain vape all day
  • I can use 15-30ml a day in e-liquid
I burn through batteries like crazy. I could never get by on a single battery device. From experience, I know using two 3000mah 18650s gets me through most of the day. I don't want to have to charge and carry around 3, 4, or 5 batteries. So it'll have to be a dual 18650 mod.

Modes
Relevant criteria:
  • I make my own coils using NI80/Kanthal
Because I vape NI80/Kanthal I almost vape exclusively in power/wattage modes. TCR/TFR/TC don't really add much value for me but they come standard on almost everything these days.

Formfactor & Aesthetic (What do I want it to look and feel like?)
This is completely subjective, but I know my list includes:
  • It needs to be relatively portable because I don't like switching mods when I leave the house
  • I like box mods, but I also like mods shaped like the Minikin V2 or Reuleaux
  • I don't like mods that look cheesy (gold/carbon fibre/look like a DeWalt power tool or transformer)

Using the above, I am looking for (in green above)...
  • Regulated VW/VV mod
  • >= 120 Watts
  • Dual 18650 batteries
  • Portable (i.e. fits in my pocket on most days)
  • Box Mod (although open to trying something new)
  • Classy (not DeWalt power tool/not transformer/not gold or carbon fibre)

Potential Mods:

obs-bat-mod-front-views.jpg

OBS Bat 218W
Cons:
Pre-Order (not yet available)
$40.27 Authentic OBS Bat 218W TC VW APV Box Mod - 7-218W / 200-600'F (100-315'C) / 2*18650 at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

9621375-1.jpg

Smoant Cylon TC 218W
Cons:
It looks like an electric shaver
$60.00 Authentic Smoant Cylon TC 218W TC VW APV Box Mod - 1-218W / 100-300'C(200-600'F) / 2*18650 at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

9621103-3.jpg

Vaporesso Switcher 220W
Cons: I really really wanted this one. But the more I look at it the more it looks like a DeWalt power tool. The removable panels are also gimmicky.
$52.91 Authentic Vaporesso Switcher 220W TC VW APV Box Mod - 5-220W / 100-315'C(200-600'F) / 2*18650 / LE version at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping
vaporesso-revenger-kit-nrg-tank-5.jpg

Vaporesso Revenger X 220W
Cons:
Clock looks cheesy. Assuming I can hide/replace it.
$48.30 Authentic Vaporesso Revenger X 220W TC VW APV Box Mod - 5-220W / 100-315'C(200-600'F) / 0.96" OLED / 2*18650 at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

MDMwRENFQkYwM0RBNTJGODMxRkE6NDU2NjFhMTE4N2Q2MWFkY2E4OWRkOWI5OGU0MGU4N2Y6Ojo6OjA=.jpg

Lost Vape DNA166
Cons: I know people love these but they just look so ugly to me. The mix of 'leather' and silver metal reminds me of the stuff they used to sell where I would get keys cut. It looks cheap.
$139.00 Authentic Lost Vape Paranormal DNA166 TC VW APV Box Mod - 1-166W / 200-600'F / 2*18650 / zinc alloy + resin at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping
02_2_.jpg

VOOPOO DRAG 157W
Cons: I hate the aesthetic again. The 45 cuts remind me of the early 2000s when everyone would do that on their cheap looking websites. Or in their 'sigs' with their photoshop 'skillz'. I love resin/stab wood, but I hate the rest.
$45.14 Authentic VOOPOO DRAG 157W TC VW APV Box Mod - 5-157W / 100-315'C (200-600'F) / 2*18650 at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

As of right now, I think the Revenger is in the lead.

Things I like the look of? hexohm boxes, dotmod, old hanas, vaporshark DNA250/60, all the minikins.

Do you guys have suggestions of mods that more or less meet the criteria I need? I wish I could still get a hexohm clone from fasttech. Should have ordered it earlier.

Reactions: Fidola13

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
I love my Therions. Also enjoy my Think Vape Exus Ark. The Ark is more pocket friendly size and weight wise. You might also find it's looks more appealing. Feels great in your hand and has thumb or finger firing. Fire button is responsive as well.

Steamer861

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 13, 2014
Canada
Hey that's pretty decent. I'll keep it on my short list.
I picked up 2 a few weeks ago, they had a 15% off sale. I got mine for $47 each :)
It has an authentic DNA250! The mod is really small but heavy as heck, the 510 is solid. A 25 mm atty fits with no over hang, it feels like a quality mod :)
These mods used to sell for $200, It's a real good price for an Authentic DNA mod :)

Caterpiller

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 3, 2015
Malaysia
CF36C3D1-5D54-4E90-B2BC-886FAA94C739.jpeg
3139BAF7-3833-4FFB-9553-62D990A54CF4.jpeg
If you're vaping all day at over 100watts, I'd really suggest a three 18650 mod for battery life and headroom.

I'm using the Lost Vape Tirade DNA250.

It's not the prettiest thing, although looks more neutral in life than it does in photos - and it is heavy, but it's a solid all day plus vape box.

dom qp

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 15, 2015
South Central... Ontario
Hey guys, I really appreciate the suggestions. We have a winner.

My birthday is coming up at the end of the month and my girlfriend knows about the mod i've been wanting forever. Something I didn't consider at all because the price.

This weekend we're going to go pick up...

The amazing...

The beautiful...

Hexohm V3

13_1_.png

I can't wait to post it in the thread!

Fidola13

Totally Stashed!
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2017
Boston
Hello friends & colleagues,

My mod (Asmodus Minikin Boost) is no longer with us. I need to buy a new one, and potentially a new tank.

I was hoping by creating this thread I could get your input on my thought process and also detail that process for newer members. This way I could get some feedback from the userbase to help me make my decision, and there could also be an example of the things to think about for newer members looking around for information.

Using the above, I am looking for (in green above)...
  • Regulated VW/VV mod
  • >= 120 Watts
  • Dual 18650 batteries
  • Portable (i.e. fits in my pocket on most days)
  • Box Mod (although open to trying something new)
  • Classy (not DeWalt power tool/not transformer/not gold or carbon fibre)

Potential Mods:

View attachment 710627
OBS Bat 218W
Cons:
Pre-Order (not yet available)
$40.27 Authentic OBS Bat 218W TC VW APV Box Mod - 7-218W / 200-600'F (100-315'C) / 2*18650 at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

View attachment 710629
Smoant Cylon TC 218W
Cons:
It looks like an electric shaver
$60.00 Authentic Smoant Cylon TC 218W TC VW APV Box Mod - 1-218W / 100-300'C(200-600'F) / 2*18650 at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

View attachment 710631
Vaporesso Switcher 220W
Cons:
I really really wanted this one. But the more I look at it the more it looks like a DeWalt power tool. The removable panels are also gimmicky.
$52.91 Authentic Vaporesso Switcher 220W TC VW APV Box Mod - 5-220W / 100-315'C(200-600'F) / 2*18650 / LE version at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping
View attachment 710633
Vaporesso Revenger X 220W
Cons:
Clock looks cheesy. Assuming I can hide/replace it.
$48.30 Authentic Vaporesso Revenger X 220W TC VW APV Box Mod - 5-220W / 100-315'C(200-600'F) / 0.96" OLED / 2*18650 at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

View attachment 710635
Lost Vape DNA166
Cons:
I know people love these but they just look so ugly to me. The mix of 'leather' and silver metal reminds me of the stuff they used to sell where I would get keys cut. It looks cheap.
$139.00 Authentic Lost Vape Paranormal DNA166 TC VW APV Box Mod - 1-166W / 200-600'F / 2*18650 / zinc alloy + resin at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping
View attachment 710637
VOOPOO DRAG 157W
Cons:
I hate the aesthetic again. The 45 cuts remind me of the early 2000s when everyone would do that on their cheap looking websites. Or in their 'sigs' with their photoshop 'skillz'. I love resin/stab wood, but I hate the rest.
$45.14 Authentic VOOPOO DRAG 157W TC VW APV Box Mod - 5-157W / 100-315'C (200-600'F) / 2*18650 at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

As of right now, I think the Revenger is in the lead.

Things I like the look of? hexohm boxes, dotmod, old hanas, vaporshark DNA250/60, all the minikins.

Do you guys have suggestions of mods that more or less meet the criteria I need? I wish I could still get a hexohm clone from fasttech. Should have ordered it earlier.

I have the Revenger mini and plan on buying the the X. The flavor & vape is awesome!!! The clock can be turned into digital mode or off. Personally I love the classy look of the analog clock.

dom qp

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 15, 2015
South Central... Ontario
I have the Revenger mini and plan on buying the the X. The flavor & vape is awesome!!! The clock can be turned into digital mode or off. Personally I love the classy look of the analog clock.

I was a moment away from ordering the X in red when my girlfriend jumped on my mouse like a grenade to tell me she would buy me my hexohm.

I still kind of want one, but I ended up buying a couple new tanks and Cthulu's new squonk module.

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
One thing to keep in mind is that when a mod claims to do a certain wattage that is the maximum peak wattage at extremely low resistance and if you use a higher resistance that mod will NOT be able to put out that much wattage. Also it is never a good idea to run anything at max power for long periods of time.

For these reasons, I always suggest buying something that can do at least close to 2x more than what you really need.

Ladiekali

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2013
Florida
i have the revenger x... i like it.
what i don't like is the screen scratched real easy.
they aren't real deep. and you have to look close to see them.. but it still bugs me.

sometimes when i hit the fire button nothing happens.

and it doesn't like the .5 coils. it will tell me ohms too high.

works great with the nrg coils though.
but most of my tanks are crowns. i prefere .5 ohm coils but had to move to .25 so i can use the revenger x.

• Love
Reactions: Letitia

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
i have the revenger x... i like it.
what i don't like is the screen scratched real easy.
they aren't real deep. and you have to look close to see them.. but it still bugs me.

sometimes when i hit the fire button nothing happens.

and it doesn't like the .5 coils. it will tell me ohms too high.

works great with the nrg coils though.
but most of my tanks are crowns. i prefere .5 ohm coils but had to move to .25 so i can use the revenger x.
Can you return it? Sounds like something is up with you chip if it will run a .25 better than a .5Ω.

Fidola13

Totally Stashed!
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2017
Boston

I ended up buying a Sense V Jet 230 but I might sell it to my roommates bf and buy the Revenger X as I had originally planned. The Sense is really great but I miss the “feel” of the Revenger in my hand.

dom qp

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 15, 2015
South Central... Ontario
Enjoy the new mod bro.
Try and wrangle another of someone else though, I’d hate to think of you being vapeless should the unthinkable happen to this mod :thumb:

My original Sig150W seems to never die, and I have a Tarot Nano + a couple random AiOs to tide me over. My Minikin Boost still works in TCR -- it's just in pure wattage mode it can't read coil resistance properly.

Worst case I have some Ego spinners that can put out a big 11 Watts I think.

I ended up buying a Sense V Jet 230 but I might sell it to my roommates bf and buy the Revenger X as I had originally planned. The Sense is really great but I miss the “feel” of the Revenger in my hand.

You can get a Revenger X on fasttech without a tank for 40-50. You could do that and when you get it sell the Sense V Jet. Delivery from Fasttech is ~2 weeks.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
If you have record of them sending it to you, and your proof of purchase for the other mod, you might be able to get somewhere, if not with your direct supplier, maybe the factory? I'd ask if they'd supply you with proof of purchase in case something goes wrong with the mod "later on" and if they will, maybe directly take it to the company itself. It kind of sounds labyrinthine even as I type it and I'd wonder if I'd even try to go that route myself, but I'd think that might be your best shot at a warranty.

With that said, if you still have funds for a different purchase, perhaps that is the way to go.... :)

Good luck either way and I hope you get something you just adore with no hassles, this time around.

Anna

Reactions: Ladiekali
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread