***California Assembly bill to BAN SHIPMENT OF E CIGARETTES TO ANYONE IN CALIFORNIA***

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jman8

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Wisconsin
I know there is a legislator in Wisconsin that has put forward such a bill.
I do not know for sure, but I suspect it might be due to the efforts of a certain CASAA Vice President.

Yeah, I'm on top of this. Looking to get proactive on this fairly soon. Already wrote both assembly people in my district. One was helpful with helping me to get on top and track the bill.

VapieDan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2013
Flint, Michigan, United States
Assemblyman Roger Dickinson has introduced AB 1500. AB 1500 will prohibit the shipment of cigarettes, tobacco products, and electronic cigarettes to anyone in California. Dickinson Introduces Legislation to Ban Internet Tobacco Sales - AD07 - Assemblymember Roger Dickinson Representing the 7th California Assembly District
[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]If passed it will generate $24 million in tax revenue for the State. The news story on KOVR 13 in Sacramento. [/FONT]

Here in Michigan the internet purchasing or transporting from out of state of tobacco products (Not yet E-Cigs) has been around for a while. The state police have intercepted transgressors for quite a while from Ohio since taxes are much lower in the neighboring state. Yup it is all about money. Kind of interesting California lumped the Ecigs in from start.

Equality 7-2521

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 29, 2013
oakland ca.
I don't suggest that people go out of their way to be crude or abussive , but the idea of being POLITE to a bunch of corrupt,insane, totalitarian creeps doesn't sit well with me. I don't suggest being vulgar, but when I go to town hall meetings I make it clear to my represenative that they are bought and paid for.... corrupt and self serving, that the idea that they are there to serve the people is a ludicrous farce that only children and the simple minded swallow. I tell them i am not petitioning the state for my liberty it is my birthright, and that their authority over me is given to them through the barrel of a gun and not by my consent.Just so we understand each other.I refuse to help create the illusion or give approval to the lie, that the goverment is a somehow benevolent partner in the safegaurd of my liberty and well being.

When the people fear the goverment you have tyranny, when the goverment fears the people you have liberty.....Jefferson said somethng like that.
Going forth as if we are fighting is fine, but it is an automatic loss if we do it on the actual day of the committee hearing. Hostility automatically means we are bad guys and undeserving.

The idea that we ought to win needs to be in our heads, and in other parts of our strategy. And in posters, T-shirts, postings.

At this point I still think the #1 thing to do is education of vapers, and ask them to pass it on, and include their families and friends.

But yes, I doubt I can find a rep of my own to sponsor any of these bills but I'd sure like to see SOMEONE put them in at the federal, state, and local levels:

1. $2000 tax credit for proving you vape (let the bargain it down to a deduction for your SECOND kit!)

2. Forbid mixing Tobacco Settlement monies with contributions from anything or anybody related to nicotine in any way, including owning stock in BP companies. It would take some fancy writing, but needs to be done.

Possible demonstrations against BP and/or their lackeys?

Letters to investigative journalists. If there are any left. (I hope y'all saw the Motley Fool article!)

Aggressive in action, polite and civil in speech when testifying.

Last edited:

kristin

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
CASAA - Wisconsin
casaa.org
I know there is a legislator in Wisconsin that has put forward such a bill.
I do not know for sure, but I suspect it might be due to the efforts of a certain CASAA Vice President.

I can't take credit for it. He first proposed this last year and I think his friend Vicki Mckenna (a radio talk show host and vaper) was the driving force behind it. CASAA is definitely supporting it.

It's a long shot though. Last year, when contacting my legislators, they basically responded "If they aren't trying to ban use, why do we need a law to keep people from banning use? I'd wait until it's actually an issue before passing pointless laws."

Last edited:

Nerone

Jan 15, 2014
San Francisco, CA
If this Bill passes we need to set up an ECF Buddy System for the people in California. For example since I am a CA resident; If I need juice from a favorite Vendor in Georgia as a example then an ECF Member will obtain it for me and I will pay him/her or the Vendor. Bear in mind that if I am in this position I would personally order enough for a 3 Month, 6 Month, and or a One Year Supply so it is not a hardship to my ECF Buddy.

I am not even halfway through reading the 500+ posts ITT, and am very pessimistic about us being able to stop AB1500.

The only possible work around for me is the one you suggest, only instead of an ECF buddy I will have online vendors send my orders to out of state family family members and have them re-ship them to me.

As far as I can tell this is entirely legal under AB1500:

"[h=6]119406.[/h] (a) It is unlawful for any person engaged in the business of selling or distributing electronic cigarettes (e-cigarettes) to ship or cause to be shipped any e-cigarettes to any person in this state who is not any of the following:"

Obviously my beloved sisters in WA, NC, DC are not engaged in the business of selling and distributing ecigs.

Jman8

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Wisconsin
I can't take credit for it. He first proposed this last year and I think his friend Vicki Mckenna (a radio talk show host and vaper) was the driving force behind it. CASAA is definitely supporting it.

It's a long shot though. Last year, when contacting my legislators, they basically responded "If they aren't trying to ban use, why do we need a law to keep people from banning use? I'd wait until it's actually an issue before passing pointless laws."

It's challenging to argue against that. But kinda sucks the wind out of the sails of desires for being proactive on these matters.

Fortunately, us consumer advocates can be that wind.

Nerone

Jan 15, 2014
San Francisco, CA
Yup it is all about money. Kind of interesting California lumped the Ecigs in from start.

I disagree that it is all about the money. The $24MM Roger {MODERATED} claims AB1500 will raise is trivial compared to the billions that are being wasted on things like the Bullet Train boondogle.

Dickinson was a former Board member and President President of the Lung Association in Sacramento. AB1500 primarily promotes that anti-vaping agenda of the Lung Association whose very existence is threatened by vaping.

Vaping has the potential of completely eliminating smoking within the next ten years. When there are no longer any tobacco smokers there is not much reason for the the Lung Association to exist. Thousands of people will lose their jobs and millions in grants and donations will disappear.

Last edited by a moderator:

Berylanna

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2012
south Bay Area, California
www.facebook.com

Which is why we should be proposing laws to give tax breaks, and to give ecigs priority in anti-smoking programs. Maybe require state-controlled airports and train stations etc to sell them and provide vaping areas, and fund it all with Tobacco Settlement Money.

A premature defense is not offense.

MetalMaster75

ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2014
Toluca Lake, CA
I disagree that it is all about the money. The $24MM Roger D*head claims AB1500 will raise is trivial compared to the billions that are being wasted on things like the Bullet Train boondogle.

Dickinson was a former Board member and President President of the Lung Association in Sacramento. AB1500 primarily promotes that anti-vaping agenda of the Lung Association whose very existence is threatened by vaping.

Vaping has the potential of completely eliminating smoking within the next ten years. When there are no longer any tobacco smokers there is not much reason for the the Lung Association to exist. Thousands of people will lose their jobs and millions in grants and donations will disappear.

I'm sorry but your POV is naive. ALA will not cease to exist: there are many respiratory diseases that are not triggered by smoking.

So it is about money.

Berylanna

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2012
www.facebook.com
Notice the "and" in the top mission goal. It is supported by digging down deeper into their youth prevention programs. The goal of preventing kids from nicotine use is their HIGHEST goal, ahead of even tobacco-related lung disease and other lung diseases.

Can anybody say RWJF?

Our Mission and Goals - American Lung Association

Mission Goals
The American Lung Association will eliminate tobacco use and tobacco-related lung disease.
The American Lung Association will improve the air we breathe so it will not cause or worsen lung disease.
The American Lung Association will reduce the burden of lung disease on patients and their families.

So, they launched a new initiative in January:

Not On Tobacco (N-O-T) New Edition and New Website Help Teens Quit Tobacco - American Lung Association

When I go to the linked page, it is "Under Construction" so it leads to Cigarette-related ads!

Uncle Willie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2011
Meet Me in St Louie Louie
I disagree that it is all about the money. The $24MM Roger {MODERATED} claims AB1500 will raise is trivial compared to the billions that are being wasted on things like the Bullet Train boondogle.

I feel safe in saying that the ALA will have plenty of deserving respiratory issues to deal with if and when tobacco goes away .. although $24 Mil in tax revenue is a trivial amount in the scheme of the Cali budgetary woes ..

There will always be tobacco products .. even if (this won't happen, but if it did) the USA actually made smoking / chewing / completely illegal to buy, sell or possess, it's a big World .. if the sale of current illicit substances cannot be stopped, there would be little hope in stopping the sale of analogs, etc ..

And as a side note, the USA was founded in many ways on tobacco .. and it was tobacco that introduced slavery to the Colonies .. we have a deep, ingrained tobacco history ..

Uncle Willie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2011
Meet Me in St Louie Louie
So, they launched a new initiative in January:

Not On Tobacco (N-O-T) New Edition and New Website Help Teens Quit Tobacco - American Lung Association

When I go to the linked page, it is "Under Construction" so it leads to Cigarette-related ads!

This page is live for me and dates from 2009 .. and if you see cigarette related ads, that's Pay Per Click provided to you by Google or other search engines based on your own search history .. welcome to the Machine .. ;)

Berylanna

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2012
www.facebook.com
This page is live for me and dates from 2009 .. and if you see cigarette related ads, that's Pay Per Click provided to you by Google or other search engines based on your own search history .. welcome to the Machine .. ;)

Still funny. I'll hit ctl-refresh and see what more it says.

I'm surprised to get a pay-per-click on a live page, that's just weird.

The link in this sentence is still not live for me, still same page. I assume you clicked on the word "website"

Trained facilitators are leading N-O-T programs in schools across the country. To find out how to get involved with the N-O-T program in your community, visit: www DOT notontobacco DOT com.

Last edited:

kristin

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
CASAA - Wisconsin
casaa.org
It's challenging to argue against that. But kinda sucks the wind out of the sails of desires for being proactive on these matters.

Fortunately, us consumer advocates can be that wind.

Which is why we should be proposing laws to give tax breaks, and to give ecigs priority in anti-smoking programs. Maybe require state-controlled airports and train stations etc to sell them and provide vaping areas, and fund it all with Tobacco Settlement Money.

A premature defense is not offense.

Yeah, it was very frustrating to get that answer.

But this year we can show that municipalities all over the country are prematurely passing no vaping ordinances and we want to prevent that happening at the local level all over the state. Vapers would have no idea if they can legally vape in a park or bar when traveling. Especially in areas where a lot of different municipalities are close together. Remember the confusion when Wauwatosa banned smoking before the state did? Tosa is in the middle of quite a few towns and close to other counties, so it gets traffic from those areas. I literally avoided Tosa restaurants and bars when I smoked for that reason. Now imagine if Milwaukee banned use but not Tosa, Shorewood, Whitefish Bay, Greenfield and West Allis!

I'm working on a Call To Action for it this week.

Also in the works in Wisconsin is a tobacco tax of 85% of retail that includes e-cigarettes. So pgivesoorly written that it includes them but no idea how the tax would apply (by the cartridge? by the milliliter?) and it bans single sales of tobacco, so we aren't certain how that would affect single, disposable e-cigs.

patrickmurphy

ECF Veteran
Nov 16, 2010
san francisco
I'm glad I've been a good customer at my local tobacco and ecig store. I almost brought this bill up this morning when I was in the shop but something made me not, perhaps fear of burning what I see as my last bridge should the bill pass, but I'm assuming that if the shop is willing, they'd make and receive an order for me. I hope.

When I first started vaping one of my first suppliers was V4L. They used to send me a lot of business cards that explained what vaping was and how it was not smoke, and encouraged these to be distributed. I wish I'd given out ten thousand of those cards. I am finding that practically everyone I talk to thinks ecigs are bad somehow.

Berylanna

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2012
www.facebook.com
In some places it has been on the news that the current Surgeon General supports ecigs and THR. I can't quite find a quote to that effect, it appears it's buried near the end and implied rather than stated. The REAL supporter of THR from INSIDE the establishment seems to be
an Abrams person.

Nevertheless, if we can find the right links and quotes, my tired-of-listening-to-me cousin who really considers "studies" to be the same as public opinon and "evidence" to be the same as statements by prominent people, says that we should widely publicize this from the end of the SG's report as "evidence" that ecigs are good. (She, like most lawmakers, is a lawyer and in her world "evidence" is what people SAY!)

Needless to say, those of us more technically-oriented find that almost impossible to either understand or fight. But we should probably all ask our lawyers what to do to convince politicians, and ask our doctors to talk to our lawyers.:confused:

Surgeon General Adds New Risks To Long List Of Smoking's Harms : Shots - Health News : NPR
But there's one new wrinkle. Behavioral psychologist David Abrams says this report makes a significant distinction between the harmfulness of burning tobacco and less harmful ways of delivering the nicotine that keeps people addicted.

The report concludes that "cigarettes and other combusted tobacco products" should be eliminated.

Unfortunately, Friedan is quoted a lot more than Abrams in this news article.

Equality 7-2521

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 29, 2013
oakland ca.
the ALA recieves far more than the measley 24MM that they do from ca. look how many "enviromental" origizations recieve staretling amounts of money from companies like Exxon, and company. Actually the first slaves introduced to work in the virginia tobbacco fields were indentured english slaves.
I feel safe in saying that the ALA will have plenty of deserving respiratory issues to deal with if and when tobacco goes away .. although $24 Mil in tax revenue is a trivial amount in the scheme of the Cali budgetary woes ..

There will always be tobacco products .. even if (this won't happen, but if it did) the USA actually made smoking / chewing / completely illegal to buy, sell or possess, it's a big World .. if the sale of current illicit substances cannot be stopped, there would be little hope in stopping the sale of analogs, etc ..

And as a side note, the USA was founded in many ways on tobacco .. and it was tobacco that introduced slavery to the Colonies .. we have a deep, ingrained tobacco history ..

Idaholandho

Gone Fishin'
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 8, 2012
Reading Naked
In some places it has been on the news that the current Surgeon General supports ecigs and THR. I can't quite find a quote to that effect, it appears it's buried near the end and implied rather than stated. The REAL supporter of THR from INSIDE the establishment seems to be
an Abrams person.

Nevertheless, if we can find the right links and quotes, my tired-of-listening-to-me cousin who really considers "studies" to be the same as public opinon and "evidence" to be the same as statements by prominent people, says that we should widely publicize this from the end of the SG's report as "evidence" that ecigs are good. (She, like most lawmakers, is a lawyer and in her world "evidence" is what people SAY!)

Needless to say, those of us more technically-oriented find that almost impossible to either understand or fight. But we should probably all ask our lawyers what to do to convince politicians, and ask our doctors to talk to our lawyers.:confused:

Surgeon General Adds New Risks To Long List Of Smoking's Harms : Shots - Health News : NPR

Unfortunately, Friedan is quoted a lot more than Abrams in this news article.

The Surgeon General will never support nor advocate the use of E-cigs. Appointed for a four year term and Senate approved, the best we will get is a safer alternative. Or, more studies and millions of dollars spent will be needed before we can almost consider a decision:). As nicotine is listed as a poison, the SG will never fully support the use of.
Richard Carmona (sp?) former SG at one point was or still is?) a member of Njoy's board - never heard much though.

At some point, we all must realize that Big Brother will feel the need to heavily regulate the use of ecigs. Get ready for newly formed oversight committees (=$$$$).

Surprisingly we havent even touched on the CDC and their role in the Federal Govt's orgy of testosterone fueled bureaucratic mess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread